Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC View Post
    I wish news like this would stop breaking when I'm at work and can't do anything about it, LOL

Hmmmm, what will I do now at US Nats? I don't remember how to go to that event and not be a nervous wreck, LOL
    You and me both Heather. Now we can really enjoy the Pairs competition at Nationals without shaking in our seats.

And thank you for your loyalty support all these years. Hope to see you at a future competition.

vCash
    Thank you, Amanda & Mark, for years of beautiful skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    How tall is Mark? I think Amanda is very tiny - like 4'11" or 5'-- so Mark is probably not 6 feet. Maybe 5'10"? Not tall enough for Ashley, but tall enough for Lindsay Davis.
    Mark is 5'10", Amanda is 4'11", and Ashley is 5'5". Ashley is too tall for Mark.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by apollo13 View Post
    They did for ten years! Other than Inoue and Baldwin, I don't know of any other pair who stayed together longer.
    2 other long-term (10+ seasons) U.S. pair partnerships that began at the Juvenile level and went all the way up through Senior are:

Chloe Katz and Joseph Lynch (2000-2011) - started starting together at the ages of 14 & 15 respectively, and their highest Nationals placement in Senior was 6th in 2009. They won 2 Senior B international silver medals (2008 Cup of Nice and 2009 Ice Challenge).

Bianca Butler and Joseph Jacobsen (1999-2009) - started starting together at 9/10 & 12 respectively, and their highest Nationals placement in Senior was 9th in 2008. They competed in 2 JGP Finals (placing 6th & 7th) and 1 Junior Worlds (11th in 2008).

While both these teams had very respectable careers, it's rare in this modern era to have teams like Inoue/Baldwin and Evora/Ladwig stay together for as long as they did AND make it to the Olympics together! That feat, IMO, takes more than luck and longevity!

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by madm View Post
    Mark is 5'10", Amanda is 4'11", and Ashley is 5'5". Ashley is too tall for Mark.
    Thought so. Mark looks taller on the ice because Amanda is so petite.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Very sad to learn about their split .

Although it's already been mentioned about their inconsistency on the jumps, these two had some of the best lifts in the business/sport -- Amanda could/should hold a clinic on posture and body positions for Women (*cough*CaydeeDenney*cough*)..

Kudos to Maxim Trankov for his kind and classy response to this news .
    You do realize Caydee skated alongside Amanda for at least 5 years and trained with the same coaches? It's ironic how everybody thinks they can "fix" her positions...it just how she is built!
    Last edited by carriemarie; 04-12-2012 at 09:07 AM.

vCash
    so sad to hear about the end of their partnership. Something I really appreciated about this team was that their love of the sport was so apparent both on and off the ice. I so wish they could have won a national championship (I really thought this would be their year) but, as others have mentioned, they have accomplished so much in their time together. They were a pleasure to watch and I wish them all the best for the future.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Photo retrospective of Evora/Ladwig through the years: http://www.icenetwork.com/gen/photog...f28325874.html

Tweeted by Maxim Trankov ‏( @Trankov_jr ):
    "Really sad about US couple Evora-Ladwig, they are finish partnership I will miss them... Wish u the right way guys!"
    so nice to read this. thank you for posting. They seem to be well-loved in the skating community. such classy, wonderful people.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fridge_Break View Post
    Sad to hear this news, but very happy I was able to see them skate in person at the 2009 Nationals in Cleveland. I certainly wish both of them the best, they've had such a wonderful presence in US pairs over the years. I will miss them!
    We were fortunate to see them skate in Cleveland @ those Nationals. It was a travesty that NBC didn't show their gorgeous free skate!

vCash
    Add me to the list of fans sorry to hear this news. I had the pleasure of meeting them a few years ago and what struck me was their genuineness. And who can ever forget the image of Amanda crying and telling the television camera that "dreams do come true" when they made the Olympic team. Priceless.

vCash
    I will miss them each year at Nationals. They were a reliable team that I had come to enjoy and appreciate more as the years went on.

vCash
    I'm a little sad to hear their split. I didn't expect their split, and I really wanted them to continue skating together as professional skaters even after their retirement.

I wish them all the best. For me, their SP at Olympic is unforgettable performance.

Thank you for a lot of beautiful skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carriemarie View Post
    You do realize Caydee skated alongside Amanda for at least 5 years and trained with the same coaches? It's ironic how everybody thinks they can "fix" her positions...it just how she is built!
    If only. . . she sags through her torso, her legs are not straight, and her knees are usually turned in and the toes not pointed on the lift they ALWAYS show pictures of. . . . Here, too, you can see where she's not lifting through the torso but sort of allowing her body to collapse although she tries to compensate by arching her back some.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    I am surprised that Mark and Amanda stayed in last year. While they had technically some of the most difficult lifts in the world with the entry, exit and handholds, the positions in my opinion were not really that great and Amanda was not really a world level jumper barely able to do a double axel much less a clean triple with any sort of regularity. They look like nice people but always seemed to me that they were mediocre singles skaters at best who were able to do some tough pairs tricks and that was the key to their success at making the Olympic team. They happen to hit when it counted at nationals and then at the Olympics. What a dream for them. However they had to realize that with Marley&Brubaker on the rise ,the return of Yankowskas and Castelli&Shnapir looking better and better ,making the podium even for the pewter just might be an insurmountable task. I am extremely surprised that Mark plans to continue skating. Even the top skaters are having a tough time making money off of skating these days and so I am wondering exactly how he is able to support his new family..

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    @LadwigMark tweeted on March 10:
    "Thanks for the many kind words. Great @USFigureSkating blog http://skatingmagazineblog.com/2012/...g-in-pictures/ "
    (Sylvia's note: There are some really great photos through the years in slide show format - take a look if you haven't already!)

@Amanda_Evora tweeted last night:
    "Thank you @USFigureSkating and all of my fans for your overwhelming support. #livingyourdreams"

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    If only. . . she sags through her torso, her legs are not straight, and her knees are usually turned in and the toes not pointed on the lift they ALWAYS show pictures of. . . . Here, too, you can see where she's not lifting through the torso but sort of allowing her body to collapse although she tries to compensate by arching her back some.
    And her leg position in the second picture is just kind of....there. Sorry, that has nothing to do with body build.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by apatinar View Post
    I am surprised that Mark and Amanda stayed in last year. While they had technically some of the most difficult lifts in the world with the entry, exit and handholds, the positions in my opinion were not really that great and Amanda was not really a world level jumper barely able to do a double axel much less a clean triple with any sort of regularity. They look like nice people but always seemed to me that they were mediocre singles skaters at best.
    Maybe they enjoyed skating and competing and working together, and that's why they "stayed in". Results are not everything.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    In my mind, I have no doubt that Evora and Ladwig stayed in this season because they wanted to win the national title - they certainly had the ability to do it had they both skated their best, IMO.

vCash
    I'll miss them too. I tho't they would retire together & then perhaps skate with SOI. I wish them both well & much happiness whatever their future career choices may be.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast