Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    The bitterness towards Irina mostly seems to come from bitter over the top Kwantards, which makes no sense really as Irina never stole away Kwans most treasured prize that she never managed (Olympic Gold), nor even won it herself, and Irina still did not surpass Kwans winnings or career or supplant Kwan as the best skater of that era. Maybe they just resent anyway that dares challenge her, be it Tara, Slutskaya, or to a much lesser degree Cohen (who hardly ever beat her but the Kwan brigade seems to resent the hype). They find enormous fault in all those skaters, even Cohen who is very artistic and had perfect positions, what they liked to diss Tara and Irina for. I say that as an impartial observer who likes both Kwan and Slutskaya, although neither is my all time favorite.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    The bitterness towards Irina mostly seems to come from bitter over the top Kwantards, which makes no sense really as Irina never stole away Kwans most treasured prize that she never managed (Olympic Gold), nor even won it herself, and Irina still did not surpass Kwans winnings or career or supplant Kwan as the best skater of that era. Maybe they just resent anyway that dares challenge her, be it Tara, Slutskaya, or to a much lesser degree Cohen (who hardly ever beat her but the Kwan brigade seems to resent the hype). They find enormous fault in all those skaters, even Cohen who is very artistic and had perfect positions, what they liked to diss Tara and Irina for. I say that as an impartial observer who likes both Kwan and Slutskaya, although neither is my all time favorite.
    This might well be true, I've noticed some Kwanfans were
    But then I guess almost any skater has hardcore fans you can't argue with, but more successful skaters usually tend to have more fans.

Back to Ksenia. I thought I should post one of her exhibition programmes:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0CLb...eature=related

And then I found this clip - 3 Flip/3 Toe:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcd4f...eature=related

So go Ksenia, you can do it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PashaFan View Post
    I know this is a Ksenia thread but getting back to Slutskaya for a moment, I watched her Gala skate from the 2005 Europeans in Torino last night. That for me was a perfect program for Irina (Plus I loved the trouser suit !).
    PashaFan, you might also enjoy her exhibiton for the 2004 Cup of Russia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLmqnQWU2BU.I liked it quite a bit.

vCash
    Just checking for what sportbox had for figure skating coverage and found this interview with Ksenia (in Russian) showing where she practices and pictures of her parents when they skated --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n__b1EHrQ2s

vCash
    I wonder if she will get to come home and live with her parents over the summer. Sounds like she misses it and I know she and Johnny used to like to train together, or at least rooted for each other.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by krenseby View Post
    PashaFan, you might also enjoy her exhibiton for the 2004 Cup of Russia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLmqnQWU2BU.I liked it quite a bit.
    Thank you so much for the link !. I never saw her skate to this before. You could tell she truly loved skating to this music. Wonderful
    You are so right judgejudy27. I'm always so shocked to see the negative & sometimes vile comments about Tara & Sasha when I watch a video of them skating on Youtube.
    The comments are sometimes very nasty & an attack on their looks. Which is NEVER right. I was always a Kwan AND Tara fan & loved that they were so different
    Why say these things?.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by krenseby View Post
    I looooooved this one! Thank you for the link! It was the first time I saw Irina live except once when she still was a junior. It was a show in Russia and I didn’t know she would skate there. So it was a wonderful surprize. I still remember how happy I was, when Irina entered the ice!

Quote Originally Posted by fan5 View Post
    Just checking for what sportbox had for figure skating coverage and found this interview with Ksenia (in Russian) showing where she practices and pictures of her parents when they skated --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n__b1EHrQ2s
    Thank you very much for the link, fan5. Really enjoyed it. In particular I love her saying “if you don’t fall, you can’t stand up”. So true! It’s all about not giving up and keep on trying!

Her mom and Johnny Weir helped her with the costumes. And she likes cows!

Quote Originally Posted by smileyskate View Post
    I wonder if she will get to come home and live with her parents over the summer. Sounds like she misses it and I know she and Johnny used to like to train together, or at least rooted for each other.
    I sometimes think that living and being coached in Russia didn’t make things easier for her.
    AFAIK Ksenia’s grandmother still lives in Russia, so she has local family support from her side. But then it’s something different, than having your parents around you, in particular if you have a close relationship like they seem to have. As her parents were skaters themselves and coached her to a certain extent, they certainly had very helpful advice in everyday life. For sure it would be very nice for Ksenia if she could go back to the U.S. for a while before the new season gets started. And I'd like her practicing together with Johnny again during such a visit – adore him too and I’m happy he seems to be determined to return to eligible skating.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Katarzyna View Post
    For sure it would be very nice for Ksenia if she could go back to the U.S. for a while before the new season gets started.
    Ksenia Makarova is scheduled to perform in a benefit ice show in Monsey, New York on April 29 -- for more info: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=83375
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Sylvia - thank you for the information. It's good that Ksenia can spend some time with her family now. And it's great that she'll skate in a show for a beneficial purpose.

vCash
    And then I found this clip - 3 Flip/3 Toe:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcd4f...eature=related
    So go Ksenia, you can do it!
    I'll be really happy to see her consistently land 3F in competitions again... Good attempt on the 3Z at the WC. Gutsy of her!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post
    I'll be really happy to see her consistently land 3F in competitions again... Good attempt on the 3Z at the WC. Gutsy of her!
    I want her come back next season with a full set of different triples and making everyone

BTW if someone is going to the benefit ice show in Monsey, New York on April 29, where Ksenia is going to skate, I'd be very grateful for a report.

vCash
    I know you want to keep this discussion on Ksenia, but having made a comment earlier on Alena Leonova's music from the LP, Adagio for Strings, I've since read some of her blog. Alena writes how she's not portraying a character but was asked simply to emote the music, aware that it was used in the movie Platoon but not having seen it; the second piece, Requiem for a Tower, connected to the Lord of the Rings but again no mention of specific characterizations. I can see Platoon now in Alena's Requiem for a Tower sequence, intended or not --

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._greenspon.jpg

This time he makes it?
    Last edited by fan5; 04-26-2012 at 04:49 PM.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    BTW if someone is going to the benefit ice show in Monsey, New York on April 29, where Ksenia is going to skate, I'd be very grateful for a report.
    No report (yet), but there's a nice photo of Ksenia posing on the ice at yesterday's show: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...73#post3559273
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Quadless
    vCash
    Wow - I wouldn't have recognized her with her now dark hair.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    No report (yet), but there's a nice photo of Ksenia posing on the ice at yesterday's show: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...73#post3559273
    Sylvia – thank you for the picture & and the link. Can’t wait if there will be also some reports soon. I wonder which programme Ksenia skated, as she wore her LP dress from season 2009/2010?
    The duct tape around the laces makes me laugh – probably the lesson Ksenia got after skating her SP at 2012 Worlds?

Quadless
    vCash
    The duct tape around the laces makes me laugh – probably the lesson Ksenia got after skating her SP at 2012 Worlds?
    Quite a few skaters tape over their laces, especially in synchronized skating. I was always taught to tuck mine in and perpetually marvel at skaters who don't. Sasha Cohen was famous for having her lace bows flopping around. It's a marvel she doesn't accidentally hook the lace from one skate on another.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Bitty Bug - I knew that some skaters put duct tape on their skates and have seen it in the past. However, up to now I have not seen Ksenia doing that (at least I didn't recognize it). That's why I thought it might be and idea she got after her lace got loose at Worlds.

After posting some clips of Kesnia's SPs, I thought I should add the Olympic Freeskate from 2010:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7kM4...eature=related

I was very much fond of her music choice for this programme. I really like the music of 13th warrior with sounding a bit oriental and I haven't seen many skaters using it up to now.

vCash
    Bitty Bug - I knew that some skaters put duct tape on their skates and have seen it in the past. However, up to now I have not seen Ksenia doing that (at least I didn't recognize it). That's why I thought it might be and idea she got after her lace got loose at Worlds.

After posting some clips of Kesnia's SPs, I thought I should add the Olympic Freeskate from 2010:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7kM4...eature=related

I was very much fond of her music choice for this programme. I really like the music of 13th warrior with sounding a bit oriental and I haven't seen many skaters using it up to now.
    She was funny about tucking the shoe lace back in at the end.

Ksenia's "the 13th Warrior" at the 2010 Russian Nationals and Worlds were also good. The music had me searching out an old favorite, "the Wind and the Lion" soundtrack, another with oriental sound, and come to find out they are by the same composer, Jerry Goldsmith.
    Last edited by fan5; 05-03-2012 at 04:37 AM.

vCash
    Sorry for the double post but another piece of Ksenia's music that I really like and have tried to trace for the composer is the second cut of her Marilyn Monroe FS. Some say it's from Some Like it Hot but I don't think it's the title track but maybe a version of Runnin' Wild, another song in the Some Like it Hot soundtrack. James P. Johnson composed Runnin' Wild Medley back in 1923 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLL9kL2sRmY (which included the famous song Charleston). I think Ksenia's cut is a transcription for orchestra of this classic piece and that it's basically a jazz riff ending with a couple bars of "the Charleston". I just love it and the way Ksenia skates to it, and the spin with the "roar", maybe a nod to the roaring 20's - and perfect with that move

Does anyone know the artist for Ksenia's cut, or have an opinion on it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fan5 View Post
    Sorry for the double post but another piece of Ksenia's music that I really like and have tried to trace for the composer is the second cut of her Marilyn Monroe FS. Some say it's from Some Like it Hot but I don't think it's the title track but maybe a version of Runnin' Wild, another song in the Some Like it Hot soundtrack. James P. Johnson composed Runnin' Wild Medley back in 1923 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLL9kL2sRmY (which included the famous song Charleston). I think Ksenia's cut is a transcription for orchestra of this classic piece and that it's basically a jazz riff ending with a couple bars of "the Charleston". I just love it and the way Ksenia skates to it, and the spin with the "roar", maybe a nod to the roaring 20's - and perfect with that move

Does anyone know the artist for Ksenia's cut, or have an opinion on it?
    I am like you. I loved it & think it really reflected both her personality & the cut of the music.
    So many people slated it but I think those people would find anything to slate her for.
    I would like to see her keep it for next season but maybe change a few minor things to it.
    I think her choreography was quite raw & that's another thing that drew me in.
    I'm so glad you liked it too

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast