Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    I am actually more entertaining Vash's previous idea of her switching to U.S citizenship to have a chance to make it to Sochi. Now with Czisny out of contention, it opens the door a bit more. Could someone revive that thread.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PashaFan View Post
    The hate directed towards some skaters really shocks me. If you don't like a skater don't watch them.
    There are some skaters that just don't do it for me yet I can still understand how hard they train & the difficult moves they make. I would not dream of trashing them & everything about them.
    I too can only shake heads about some posts & comments (e.g. the title of the Ladies LP in the WC forum!). I think itís ok if you donít like a skater or his skating. Itís sport combined with art and with art tastes are different. But while IMO itís ok to state in a neutral way that you donít like e.g. a programme or that a certain skater is not your cup of tea, itís something else if itís almost a personal insult on some skaters - have seen this not only regarding Ksenia Makarova recently.

Even when I like some skaters more and others less, I admire everybody who does this sport at elite level. Itís probably one of the thoughest sports of all. You need so much discipline, personal strength, an iron will and nerves out of steel to be able and perform while hundred, thousands or even millions of people are watching you. I have deep personal respect for everyone who does it!

Back to Ksenia - here is another lovely clean SP from her (2010 season):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv8nZD6PxHM

vCash
    Agree !.
    On the best ladies free skate of the season thread justAfsfan is trashing Ksenia.
    It's a thread about the the programes you like NOT the skaters you hate.
    What is it with some people?
    Leave Ksenia alone

vCash
    Just looking back at Alena Leonova's Requiem coverage at COR by Eurosport and then at Worlds by NBC it's a bit puzzling that two groups of commentators can draw such divergent conclusions about the program, even though at different events. The Eurosport crew called it a superb skate in terms of choreo, interpretation, costume, on and on. NBC's commentary as the music began quipped "And now for something completely different" the Monte Python intro., and while complimenting the jumps said it was void of choreography. Eurosport explained the music starting with Adagio for Strings and then Requiem for a Tower emphasizing the transition from one to another -- nice! I'd been thinking they were both Clint Mansell's but found Adagio for Strings was composed in the 30's by Samuel Barber and was inspired by Virgil's "the Georgics", which helps me understand Leonova's concept.

Good team work Leonova/Makarova!

vCash
    I've loved pretty much all Makarova's programms the past years. I especially love this year sp, she's very gracious. I hope we can see her again next year

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I am actually more entertaining Vash's previous idea of her switching to U.S citizenship to have a chance to make it to Sochi. Now with Czisny out of contention, it opens the door a bit more. Could someone revive that thread.
    This is not an option for her. She skated in two ISU Championships this season, so if she switched federations, she would have to sit out two full seasons and wouldn't be able to compete internationally until July 1, 2014. (See ISU Rule 109).

People on this board talk a lot about switching federations as a panacea for skaters who have some link to two different countries, but it really isn't, at least not any more. It's great for skaters like Christopher Caluza, who probably wouldn't ever get to represent the U.S. internationally but may even get to represent the Philippines at the Olympics, but it's not much use to someone like Makarova who has been representing her federation at the highest level.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fan5 View Post
    Just looking back at Alena Leonova's Requiem coverage at COR by Eurosport and then at Worlds by NBC it's a bit puzzling that two groups of commentators can draw such divergent conclusions about the program, even though at different events. The Eurosport crew called it a superb skate in terms of choreo, interpretation, costume, on and on. NBC's commentary as the music began quipped "And now for something completely different" the Monte Python intro., and while complimenting the jumps said it was void of choreography. Eurosport explained the music starting with Adagio for Strings and then Requiem for a Tower emphasizing the transition from one to another -- nice! I'd been thinking they were both Clint Mansell's but found Adagio for Strings was composed in the 30's by Samuel Barber and was inspired by Virgil's "the Georgics", which helps me understand Leonova's concept.

Good team work Leonova/Makarova!
    North American commentators don't tend to give the credit to the European skaters like they do the North American & Asian skaters.
    I remember Dick Button ripping into Slutskaya even when she skated clean yet would always make an excuse for Kwan making errors.
    I sometimes think 'What if Gedvenishvili or Helgesson was from the USA'?.
    Would they be much higher ranked?
    And before people say I'm anti-North American I can say with pride that my father is American. It's just something I have noticed over the years.
    I just find that the US commentators can be quite rude towards the European skaters.
    And don't get me started on what they would say about Butyrskaya

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    This is not an option for her. She skated in two ISU Championships this season, so if she switched federations, she would have to sit out two full seasons and wouldn't be able to compete internationally until July 1, 2014. (See ISU Rule 109).
    Sad, but true. At least regarding OG in Sochi.

I remember Dick Button ripping into Slutskaya even when she skated clean yet would always make an excuse for Kwan making errors.
    I remember a nasty comment from a female commentator during Irina Slutskaya's SP at 2006 OG that she does not even attempt to be artistic but just powers through her programmes.

Back to Ksenia even with the difficult situation that she now faces in Russia with all the little wondergirls becoming age-eligible, I still think she made the right decision to skate for Russia. She probably always would have been considered as the Russian skating for U.S. in North America, so if she had decided to compete for the U.S., it probably would have been difficult for her as well. For those interested in some background information on Ksenia's career - here are some links to articles on her:

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbc...SPORTS/2160326

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbc...ORTS31/1030339

http://www.goldenskate.com/2010/01/b...-for-makarova/

It's mostly about her going to OG in 2010, her parents and there is also a bit background information on her decision to skate for Russia.
    Last edited by Katarzyna; 04-17-2012 at 07:38 PM.

vCash
    North American commentators don't tend to give the credit to the European skaters like they do the North American & Asian skaters.
    I sometimes think 'What if Gedvenishvili or Helgesson was from the USA'?.
    Would they be much higher ranked?
    And before people say I'm anti-North American I can say with pride that my father is American. It's just something I have noticed over the years.
    I just find that the US commentators can be quite rude towards the European skaters.
    And don't get me started on what they would say about Butyrskaya
    It does seem those from smaller countries have to work harder. I'm hoping for Gedevanishvili through Sochi and was happy for her holding that 10th place at Worlds earning two spots again for Georgia. Hopefully she'll have company next year.

At the European Championships Eurosport was debating where Alena Leonova might go with her Adagio/Requiem LP since she's got so much ability as a performer, and at Worlds I think she showed a different facet of the music and some of the inspiration behind it, particularly during the Adagio -

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/...ictims-006.jpg

It's very intense.

Good performances by both ladies!

vCash
    Slutskaya skated like a truck driver on ice.. it is always amazing how the Russians and Europeans clearly could not see that. They were just so happy that they had a strong skater in contention for medals that they overlooked her sloppiness..
    It is the same thing with Plushenko.. Everyone else can see that all he has is superb consistent jumps with some crazy arm movements and sub-par spins that on occasion was packaged to look exciting.. however the Russians would have you thinking that he is the best skater ever!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Katarzyna View Post
    Sad, but true. At least regarding OG in Sochi.

I remember a nasty comment from a female commentator during Irina Slutskaya's SP at 2010 OG that she does not even attempt to be artistic but just powers through her programmes.

Back to Ksenia even with the difficult situation that she now faces in Russia with all the little wondergirls becoming age-eligible, I still think she made the right decision to skate for Russia. She probably always would have been considered as the Russian skating for U.S. in North America, so if she had decided to compete for the U.S., it probably would have been difficult for her as well. For those interested in some background information on Ksenia's career - here are some links to articles on her:

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbc...SPORTS/2160326

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbc...ORTS31/1030339

http://www.goldenskate.com/2010/01/b...-for-makarova/

It's mostly about her going to OG in 2010, her parents and there is also a bit background information on her decision to skate for Russia.
    This was Sandra Bezic in 2006 Torino during Irina's SP.. a bit extreme but Irina was not graceful or artistic in what would be a conventional way. She had a style that suited her skating and which related to her music. Sandra seemed caught up in the Girly, cutesy 'artistic' definition. Remember that she choreographed for Kristi Yamaguchi do maybe in Sandra's mind this is how a woman should skate.. Who knows?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by apatinar View Post
    Slutskaya skated like a truck driver on ice.. it is always amazing how the Russians and Europeans clearly could not see that. They were just so happy that they had a strong skater in contention for medals that they overlooked her sloppiness..
    It is the same thing with Plushenko.. Everyone else can see that all he has is superb consistent jumps with some crazy arm movements and sub-par spins that on occasion was packaged to look exciting.. however the Russians would have you thinking that he is the best skater ever!
    Slutskaya was a different kind of skater. She was never going to be a little ice princess. The US commentators could not come to terms with this having had the likes of Yamaguchi, Lipinski, Kerrigan & Kwan.
    Here was a girl with raw power. She COULD skate. Just because she was not the kind of skater that you liked does not mean she was not one of the best in recent years.
    As much as I loved watching the Ice Princess/beautiful skaters, I would not want them all to be like that.
    Sarah Hughes had many problems with her skating but they always talked her up & trashed Irina.
    I was never a huge Slutskaya fan but she was an amazing talent that I enjoyed watching.
    Leanova is getting the same kind of heat that Slutskaya got & I think it's unfair.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by apatinar View Post
    LOL!!!! Both Slutskaya and Plushenko have a huge international fandom, especially Plushenko. It seems you know nothing about the two skaters. I recommend you youtube or their websites/forums for a reality check.
    American, Canadians, Japanese also support their skaters, as it should be... Isn't Kwan the Kween?
    By the way I've never liked Kwan or Slutskaya so I can see things than Americans or Russians aren't able to see!
    Last edited by ciocio; 04-17-2012 at 03:41 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Katarzyna View Post
    I remember a nasty comment from a female commentator during Irina Slutskaya's SP at 2010 OG that she does not even attempt to be artistic but just powers through her programmes.
    Wait, which Olympic Games? She competed in 1998, 2002, and 2006, but not 2010.

If the remark was made in 1998, it would have had some validity. Slutskaya really didn't bring very much artistry to her skating back then.

vCash

If the remark was made in 1998, it would have had some validity. Slutskaya really didn't bring very much artistry to her skating back then.
    As I stated above, this was Sandra Bezic during the 2006 Torino ladies SP..

vCash
    Slutskaya was a different kind of skater. She was never going to be a little ice princess. The US commentators could not come to terms with this having had the likes of Yamaguchi, Lipinski, Kerrigan & Kwan.
    Here was a girl with raw power. She COULD skate. Just because she was not the kind of skater that you liked does not mean she was not one of the best in recent years.
    As much as I loved watching the Ice Princess/beautiful skaters, I would not want them all to be like that.
    Sarah Hughes had many problems with her skating but they always talked her up & trashed Irina.
    I was never a huge Slutskaya fan but she was an amazing talent that I enjoyed watching.
    Leanova is getting the same kind of heat that Slutskaya got & I think it's unfair.
    ITA! That's why I commented above something similar to you...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eurodance2001 View Post
    ITA! That's why I commented above something similar to you...
    It would be interesting to see a panel of trained judges marking a group of ladies WITHOUT their country next to their names.
    Elene Gedavnishvili at the 2010 OG SP comes to mind.
    Or Sarah Meier at the 2008 Worlds (SP).

vCash
    Just a thought about Slautskaya. I always wanted her to go in the opposite direction to being more like a Ice Princess. More power. More in-your-face programs, plus I always thought trousers suited her more.

vCash
    Iím sorry for causing confusion, of course it should have been 2006.
    Thanks for correcting me. Edited my post now.

Well said!
    I love her! Irina will always be my favourite lady skater! I saw her life many times in exhibitions (= no competition, definitely not as suggested above only cheering for her to beat skaters from other continents, which would be stupid anyways). Irina had power, musicality, big jumps and a personality that could lift up the audience. She was one of two skaters who made me start with figure skating as an adult a couple of years ago when I saw them in practice. You could just feel the joy of skating, so I thought I should try out too.

Thinking of Worlds free skate with 24 zzz - little ice princess type skaters makes me

vCash
    I know this is a Ksenia thread but getting back to Slutskaya for a moment, I watched her Gala skate from the 2005 Europeans in Torino last night. That for me was a perfect program for Irina (Plus I loved the trouser suit !).
    Ksenia's SP this season was beautiful. I would like to see her do something like that for a free program next year

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast