Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    how about an Android tablet where you can download both the Kindle AND Nook apps?

vCash
    There are already Android tablets where you can download both.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    If you get an iPad you can get the Kindle app, the Nook app, and iBooks, plus the Overdrive app which works with the ebook collections of many public libraries.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

vCash
    I found out quickly when I bought mine that it really does come down to what you want to do on it...if you mainly want to read, the black and white is really the way to go, IMO. I started with a color Nook, and it drove my eyes absolutely crazy, and I quickly realized that all I was going to do was read on it anyway, so I returned it for a black/white Nook reader. I love it, and it does what I need.

I also found out that wireless is really enough.... so far I have had no need for 3G because I download my books at home, and I still haven't gotten through my library yet, so even on the road I would still be good to go.

I think the tablets, etc, are good if you want to do other things and the light doesn't bother you. But for some people it is hard to read on the color versions.

Also wanted to add that the Kindle versus Nook becomes easy when you really think about where you would want to buy your books. I have always done a lot of shopping at Barnes, so it was an easy choice.... never been much of an Amazon person. Plus I liked that the Nook allows you to get books from libraries, etc, though I haven't used that option yet...

Just me
    vCash
    After much back-and-forth, I flipped a coin and got a Nook Simple Touch, no 3G. All I do is read on it, that's all I wanted it for, and I download books at home. This little rascal does exactly what I want it to do and I'm very happy with the result of the coin toss.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    My kindle fire is black & white when I'm reading a book so how is that different from a kindle that is just an ereader? Is it because the screen is backlit?

Whatever it is, I have found that reading in bed has helped my insomnia dramatically. I get so drowsy after just about 30 mins that I conk right out. It works most of the time.

My sister & I have each other's passwords so we can read each other's books. One of the nice things is that when I'm logged in as her the other features on my kindle such as facebook or games is still available.

vCash
    Love my Nook Tablet that I got at Christmas. Haven't had any issues reading with the non- e-ink reader. Loved having it on a red eye flight where I could easily read without the overhead light - I'm sure my neighbor loved that too lol. I have exchanged books with friends and done the library thing, both worked well. My husband has the Nook app on his iPad and uses my account to read the books I download, it works well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    My kindle fire is black & white when I'm reading a book so how is that different from a kindle that is just an ereader? Is it because the screen is backlit?

Whatever it is, I have found that reading in bed has helped my insomnia dramatically. I get so drowsy after just about 30 mins that I conk right out. It works most of the time.

My sister & I have each other's passwords so we can read each other's books. One of the nice things is that when I'm logged in as her the other features on my kindle such as facebook or games is still available.
    Yes, the black and white regular ereaders are not backlit, which makes it easier on the eyes.

vCash
    I've actually started considering purchasing a tablet too, mainly because I've had to start putting books and crap into storage. I'm going to have to leave so much behind when I move, so I figured why not downsize.
    My problem is I've been an Apple user for the past 8 years, but I can't afford $500 for a freaking tablet. I'd like to do the Kindle instead, but I'm worried that I won't be able to transfer my apps to the Kindle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by myhoneyhoney View Post
    how about an Android tablet where you can download both the Kindle AND Nook apps?
    How much does it cost?

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexa5 View Post
    Yes, the black and white regular ereaders are not backlit, which makes it easier on the eyes.
    I have a Nook Color and I read for hours on it; I keep it in Night mode, which I find very comfortable.

According to eye doctors, it's not the backlighting that bothers most people's eyes--it's focusing your eyes on the same things too much. You are supposed to give your eyes a break every 15 minutes or so, whether you are looking at a computer screen, a print book, an e-reader or a tablet. You can get eye strain from any of them. In the days of CRT computer screens, yes, your eyes would hurt because of the backlighting, but most people don't have that problem any more.

Which is not to say that backlighting doesn't bother you, just that from everything I have read, most people actually don't have an issue with it.

I got a Nook in part because I want to support Barnes and Noble; we need bookstores and the Nook is what is keeping B&N in business. I like Amazon and I use it for a lot of things, but if both have the same book, I'd rather buy it from B&N, to help extend the lives of the stores a little longer. I like the stores; I still go to my local B&N a lot.

Otherwise, I think no matter what you get, you will be pretty happy with it. Witness how attached people are to their devices and how passionate they are about how special their e-readers are when really, they aren't all that terribly different.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I got a Nook in part because I want to support Barnes and Noble; we need bookstores and the Nook is what is keeping B&N in business. I like Amazon and I use it for a lot of things, but if both have the same book, I'd rather buy it from B&N, to help extend the lives of the stores a little longer. I like the stores; I still go to my local B&N a lot.
    That's a great reason. I too like going to bookstores. We can't afford to lose them.

vCash
    Uh, so I'm impulsive. I went ahead and bought the Kindle Fire today and so far it's been great. I actually spent a long time debating between it and the Nook tablet, but what tipped me over was the fact that several books I've been aching to read are only available through Amazon and not Barnes and Noble.
    And I do think it's important to support the last remaining big bookstore--I do buy cookbooks at B&N.
    I also buy my dad's gifts there, as he staunchily refuses to go the way of the ereader and still insists on reading paperbacks.

vCash
    I have a Nook Color and I read for hours on it; I keep it in Night mode, which I find very comfortable.

According to eye doctors, it's not the backlighting that bothers most people's eyes--it's focusing your eyes on the same things too much. You are supposed to give your eyes a break every 15 minutes or so, whether you are looking at a computer screen, a print book, an e-reader or a tablet. You can get eye strain from any of them. In the days of CRT computer screens, yes, your eyes would hurt because of the backlighting, but most people don't have that problem any more.

Which is not to say that backlighting doesn't bother you, just that from everything I have read, most people actually don't have an issue with it.

Otherwise, I think no matter what you get, you will be pretty happy with it. Witness how attached people are to their devices and how passionate they are about how special their e-readers are when really, they aren't all that terribly different.
    I didn't say everyone had an issue with it but quite a few people do. I can look at a computer screen all day and it doesn't bother me a bit, but trying to read a book on a tablet with the backlighting was excruciating for me. Once I got the regular ereader, there were no issues, and it was just like reading a book. And in doing research on this topic, many people that do have issues reading on the color tablets have the same experience.... they can use computers and other things but trying to read a book on an ereader with the backlight is hard for them. I am glad for those that don't have that issue....but it does exist, and is one of the reasons they made the original ereaders with the technology that made it easier on the eyes.

Totally agree about the BN thing...that is largely why I got a Nook as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scintillation View Post
    Uh, so I'm impulsive. I went ahead and bought the Kindle Fire today and so far it's been great. I actually spent a long time debating between it and the Nook tablet, but what tipped me over was the fact that several books I've been aching to read are only available through Amazon and not Barnes and Noble.
    And I do think it's important to support the last remaining big bookstore--I do buy cookbooks at B&N.
    I also buy my dad's gifts there, as he staunchily refuses to go the way of the ereader and still insists on reading paperbacks.
    Is there a way to find out (before buying a Nook or Kindle) what books are available on it?

Just me
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Is there a way to find out (before buying a Nook or Kindle) what books are available on it?
    I can see what is available in Nook Books without being signed on to my account. You should be able to do that for both, I would think.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    I can see what is available in Nook Books without being signed on to my account. You should be able to do that for both, I would think.
    Basically as Nan wrote - you should go on both Amazon and B&N and search for a few books that interest you; that should give you a good indication.

Remember that for both Nooks and Kindles, you don't have to buy from either B&N/Amazon - there are other options (more so if you choose the Nook).

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Interesting. Given Apple's lawsuits against Google and other Android-makers for patent-stealing, this does nothing to dispel their reputation for bullying others. I have heard Tim Cook is a far easier man to deal with than Steve Jobs, so maybe they'll ease up over time.
    And even though I know they are kinda dickish about manipulating the market to work in their favor, I still love my macbook so very much. I agree with the sentiment that Amazon should think about raising prices on the ebooks--I can't imagine they are taking much profit on their kindles, not when they are so cheap.
    And to check to see what books I could get, I just searched for some titles on each tablet in the store. Kindle had all the ones I could think of off the top of my head, while the Nook only had one. I also liked that the kindle had a more solid feel. I wish it had a home button like the Nook but whatevs, so far that hasn't been an issue.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scintillation View Post
    I agree with the sentiment that Amazon should think about raising prices on the ebooks--I can't imagine they are taking much profit on their kindles, not when they are so cheap.
    Um, Amazon wants to lower prices on e-books, not raise them. That's what this is all about. And while that sounds like it's a good thing for people who like to read e-books, it really isn't.

By selling most new e-books for $9.99, Amazon is setting a price that's too low for other competitors to match in a price war. If that eventually drives the competition away, Amazon (which is already projected to account for more than half of all U.S. book sales by the end of this year) would be essentially unchecked and able to set whatever prices it wants.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/11/tech/w...dmn_topstories

At this point, Amazon doesn't care if it doesn't make as much profit on e-books and e-readers as it could; this is a longterm strategy designed to take over the market. Amazon has made no bones about this; when it started its own publishing house, the writing was on the wall. Amazon has also been quite open about planning to take over the tablet market in the next few years, which is why Apple is squarely in its sites and not Barnes and Noble. B&N will gradually fail, unless something drastic happens to save it, so Amazon isn't especially bothered. But Apple is a force to be reckoned with.

Don't get me wrong--Apple is . But Amazon is hardly an innocent victim being pushed around by a big, nasty bully. Amazon is bigger and just as mean, if not meaner.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast