Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    May B/S RSVP "Yes".
    Well, they're spending time with Linichuk next year, so the Kustarova team going to K/C isn't them.

vCash
    Why would she want the Russians to get to the top of the podium as quickly as possible if they don't embody the qualities she admires?
    I think it must be my English, really. I must be hopeless.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    Well, they're spending time with Linichuk next year, so the Kustarova team going to K/C isn't them.
    I'm in denial, hoping that once they get on North American shores and spend a month or two intensively with Linichuk, they'll defect to K/C. (He's got a young family, so that doesn't really work for him, but it's all about ME.)
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

YEAH!
    vCash
    Why would she want the Russians to get to the top of the podium as quickly as possible if they don't embody the qualities she admires?

If they had those qualities, but they were being held down because the qualities that Spilband/Zoueva teams have are in fashion, that would be one thing, but why should couples who don't have them be any higher on the podium than 1. S/Z teams 2. Teams that she's trained that have absorbed at least some of these qualities?

That would be like me saying that the qualities I most admire in Ladies skating are shown by Suzuki and Kostner, but, damn, I wish Rachel Flatt would get to the top of the podium ASAP! Or Slutskaya and Leonova have the qualities I most admire in Ladies skating, but, damn, I wish Alissa Czisny would get to the top of the podium ASAP!
    Mileage may vary but for me it was quite clear that she was saying that Russian skaters once had amazing qualities that she wishes they would once again develop so they could get back on top of the podium. I don't see anything implying that the current Russians should win without those qualities.

For example, she said
    "Of course, I would like for Russian ice dance to get on a higher level."

"Lena Kustarova is a great coach, she works with many teams, they do a great job. It's just that sometimes it's hard to get both dances right - the free and the original. Something just doesn't work sometimes"

"The second Russian team is also very good, they just are not ready yet."

"Coaches just need to give the athletes the direction: what to do, which choreographers to work with, which acrobats, etc. Now there is a lot of different work that we didn't do before, because now the rules were different."

"However, even under this system, we have to find some soul. The soul that was before, especially Russians, they had it, is lost now."
    She's definitely saying they need to improve to get back the level at which U&Z and K&P skated, IMO.

The more questionable part of her comments is that she says she would like Russian skaters at the top of the podium, when her own French and Canadian teams are already beating the Russians. If she takes on a Russian team, I wouldn't blame her other students for wondering if there would be favoritism. Many fans worried about that when B&A and Domshabs were with Linichuk at the same time, and indeed DomShabs beat B&A at Olympics/Worlds (though to my mind both the Moldavan and Aboriginal dances were sabotage ).

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Mileage may vary but for me it was quite clear that she was saying that Russian skaters once had amazing qualities that she wishes they would once again develop so they could get back on top of the podium. I don't see anything implying that the current Russians should win without those qualities.
    Of course she said that. I wasn't suggesting anything else.

The more questionable part of her comments is that she says she would like Russian skaters at the top of the podium, when her own French and Canadian teams are already beating the Russians. If she takes on a Russian team, I wouldn't blame her other students for wondering if there would be favoritism. Many fans worried about that when B&A and Domshabs were with Linichuk at the same time, and indeed DomShabs beat B&A at Olympics/Worlds (though to my mind both the Moldavan and Aboriginal dances were sabotage ).
    Yes.

However, she also said, "The sooner the better" to Russians being at the top of the podium, not the "The sooner the better" to the Russian teams changing their style. Anyone can change their style to her preferred style, but none of the coaches in Russia are teaching it, and why skate an intricate Camerlengo FD when you can skate a Morozov version and come within .11 for the CH score.

Strategically, that could happen by K/C's teams breaking up the S/Z lock-jam at the top of the podium, and then a I/K zipping in between them. I think it takes a little while for coaches, teams, and choreographers to get credit for their programs. I suspect (and hope) that Camerlengo's programs are given more of their due next season.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

YEAH!
    vCash
    However, she also said, "The sooner the better" to Russians being at the top of the podium, not the "The sooner the better" to the Russian teams changing their style.
    I suppose it can be read either way, but I took it as her saying Bobrova & Soloviev are on a good path with their FD, just not quite there yet, but could be very soon if they work with the right group of experts. She doesn't seem to be as enamored of I&K as others.

vCash
    It's only natural she would wax poetic about Russia since this was a Belorussian interview, as opposed to a French, Canadian, or American one.

In the mountains, where hippies and hillbillies collide!
    vCash
    I'm astonished to hear a coach so incredibly successful coaching under CoP completely rip it to pieces. Always loved Kyrlova, and apparently always will

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_toe View Post
    It's only natural she would wax poetic about Russia since this was a Belorussian interview, as opposed to a French, Canadian, or American one.
    That, and she herself is from Russia, after all. While probably not right, it's still humanly understandable that she wants russian skaters to improve and start winning.

vCash
    I read that as she's fishing for students. And why not? Coaches make their money from coaching students - the more students, the more money. It just makes sense they'd try to attract as many as possible.

vCash
    It's worth pointing out that she's only one part of a multicultural coaching team (albeit a very important part). I think the diversity of the coaching staff would ensure that everyone is treated fairly, regardless of individual national backgrounds of the students.

Having said that, favouritism based on nationality can be a valid concern. For example, that exact question was raised by Zagorska/Siudek when they came over to Canada to train with Richard Gauthier et al. I can't remember the exact wording, but their question was phrased something like "will you give us your best, even though we aren't Canadian?" They had potential concerns that his Canadian students would be favoured over them. I think the subsequent results showed that they were not given second-best. Another more recent example from the same coaching staff would be Takahashi/Tran and Duhamel/Radford. Here again I think the results of the coaching show that the Canadian team was not given preference over the Japanese team.

In Angelika's case, I think she also has abundantly proven that, while she remains Russian at heart, her primary passion is for skating and for the progress of her students, and that she gives her best to all her students.
    Last edited by geoskate; 04-14-2012 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Spelling

vCash
    Thank you so much for the translation, quiqie! very kind of you!

I have always loved what Anjelika brought to the ice, and it is so great to see her have such success as a coach. This was a very insightful interview; I especially liked that she spoke about navigating the age thing. I always wonder how that works with such young coaches and mature students. I think she is a very interesting person and it is really cool to hear her thoughts on the current state of ice dance.

...She doesn't seem to be as enamored of I&K as others.
    This makes me sad...I really like I&K and was hoping they would switch to K&C or Z&S. They are so talented and just need the right packaging, as others have pointed out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    It's worth pointing out that she's only one part of a multicultural coaching team (albeit a very important part). I think the diversity of the coaching staff would ensure that everyone is treated fairly, regardless of individual national backgrounds of the students.

Having said that, favouritism based on nationality can be a valid concern. For example, that exact question was raised by Zagorska/Suidek when they came over to Canada to train with Richard Gauthier et al. I can't remember the exact wording, but their question was phrased something like "will you give us your best, even though we aren't Canadian?" They had potential concerns that his Canadian students would be favoured over them. I think the subsequent results showed that they were not given second-best. Another more recent example from the same coaching staff would be Takahashi/Tran and Duhamel/Radford. Here again I think the results of the coaching show that the Canadian team was not given preference over the Japanese team.

In Angelika's case, I think she also has abundantly proven that, while she remains Russian at heart, her primary passion is for skating and for the progress of her students, and that she gives her best to all her students.
    good points

Quadless
    vCash
    I suppose it can be read either way, but I took it as her saying Bobrova & Soloviev are on a good path with their FD, just not quite there yet, but could be very soon if they work with the right group of experts. She doesn't seem to be as enamored of I&K as others.
    I have an entirely different take on Krylova's words. To me it sounds as though she is making overtures to the Russian Fed, angling to pick up a team. Patriotic comments, flattering remarks about the teams that might be available but pointing out opportunities for improvement, etc. I&K aren't in play, so of course she'd talk about the others. Cynical view, I know, but that's how I read it.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    I have an entirely different take on Krylova's words. To me it sounds as though she is making overtures to the Russian Fed, angling to pick up a team. Patriotic comments, flattering remarks about the teams that might be available but pointing out opportunities for improvement, etc. I&K aren't in play, so of course she'd talk about the others. Cynical view, I know, but that's how I read it.
    Very interesting and it does make a lot of sense... and good call on her part going for B&S now that R&T are supposedly going to Shpilband.

vCash
    Very interesting and it does make a lot of sense... and good call on her part going for B&S now that R&T are supposedly going to Shpilband.
    I think that she could do very well with B/S, but I think that Dimitri has a family in Russia. That said, since they're spending time with Linichuk, I don't see why they couldn't spend time with Krylova and Camerlengo. That said, they are still spending most of their time with Kustarova and Alexeeva

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    I think that she could do very well with B/S, but I think that Dimitri has a family in Russia. That said, since they're spending time with Linichuk, I don't see why they couldn't spend time with Krylova and Camerlengo. That said, they are still spending most of their time with Kustarova and Alexeeva
    Last that I heard, Bobrova/Soloviev were switching to Zhulin.

vCash

Another interview with Anjelika

http://mn.ru/sports_figure/20120330/314494465.html

"It's only the beginning of a new career"

At the World figure skating championships in Nice several ice dancing teams, including Nathalie Pechalat and Fabien Bourzat of France, were coached by the duo of Anjelika Krylova and Pasquale Camerlengo. Krylova skated with Oleg Ovsyannikov, but had to leave the sport on top of her career due to a serious injury. And, apparently, everything she hadn't achieved in sports, she now channels into her students. Famous skater Anjelika Krylova told "MN" about her coaching work.

- This championship must have been one of the most stressful for you, since Nathalie Pechalat got injured just a week before that. How did it happen?

- At practice. They had done their free dance run-through. Everything was going fine. Started repeating pieces of the program. Entered the twizzles at very high speed. At some point, they got carried away, emotions overflowed. The situation got out of control for a second. Nathalie came too close to her partner, and he hit her full force right in the face with his elbow. She fell on her knees, there was blood. I thought it was a concussion, but, as it turned out later, it was a broken nose. We immediately called an ambulance.If a surgery had been necessary, it would have been done. Fortunately, there wasn't any significant displacement, if there had been, then they would have had missed the championship and had a surgery. I took Nathalie to a good plastic surgeon. He said that since the competition was a week, she wouldn't have enough time to recover from surgery. The operation required general anesthesia, which means that Nathalie wouldn't be able to train soon. Face would have been bruised, swelling. It would have made skating at a championship impossible. We decided that she will have surgery after the championship. But Nathalie is a very strong athlete. The very next day after the incident she was back on the ice and until the start of the championship she hadn't missed a single practice.

- At a press conference in Nice she made it clear that that was their last champioships. Does it mean they are going to call it a career?

- I don't know. We have not discussed this question. Of course, Pechalat/Bourzat are grown-up athletes. It's their decision to make. But I think they should skate until the Olympics. If they make it through this difficult season, then next year will be easier.

- When the French came to you at the end of last season, they were already a mature team. Does it make working with them easier?

- First year of working with a new team is a grinding period that rarely is easy. They had their own ideas of how to prepare. Alexander Zhulin is a great coach and choreographer. Oleg Volkov is an excellent expert on technique. But the fact that Nathalie and Fabian had worked with Russian coaches before did not make things easier. They started to take (our) comments seriously only now, by the end of the season. We've got a close contact between us. Perhaps, they didn't fully trust us before. I had never coached French athletes before, and I think, they have different mentality.

- What does it mean?

- Working with them one must be very accurate and choose words very carefully. With Russians, you can give criticism directly and clearly. My Canadians are now used to it, too. The French at first took some comments too close to heart. But gradually everything fell into place. When we first started working with the Canadians Kaitlyn Weaver/Andrew Poje three years ago, it was more or less the same.

-The Canadian team made a clear progress. Thanks to what?

- They had a potential from the beginning. Not only because they have beautiful lines, good physique, attractive appearances, even though it is important in figure skating. They have chemistry. They can portray true feelings on ice, it captivates the audience.

Kaitlyn and Andrew were coached by a Canadian coach Paul McIntosh, who has worked with Tessa Virtue/Scott Moir. For three years, Kaitlyn and Andrew indeed made a leap in all components. Mainly due to the fact that they work like crazy. They want to get the results. And when there is a desire, eventually they will achieve it.

- I think that hard work and determination is what constitutes professionalism.

- My favorite ice dance team has always been and remains now the Canadians Virtue/Moir, who had drawn the attention to themselves the very first moment they appeared on the figure skating stage. Scott is a simply brilliant athlete. It is a talent given by God. He has such a fine sense of music, all his movements are so natural that he just melts into the dance. It's the highest level of skill - when you do not think how to enter an element, how to perform it. For them it's in the past, they have reached a level when they can just give in to dance. But for all that, Moir does not exploit his natural talent, he works hard. He and Tessa are a very good match, but he is an undisputed leader in this duet.

- Now you train foreign athletes, don't you want to work with Russian teams?

- This is just the beginning of my coaching career. There is still a lot to learn. Although I get many calls and messages from Russia, from parents, from girls and boys, asking to watch, to take someone into our group. But coming to train in the United States is very complicated, mainly due to financial matters, sometimes people don't even understand exactly how complicated it is. Of course, I would like to coach a Russian team. In native language it is easier to convey the emotions, the things that you cannot properly explain to foreigners due to the language barrier and the difference in mentality. But I haven't got any offers from the Russian Figure Skating Federation yet. However, it would be difficult for us to work with beginners, because that would require living in Russia, traveling with the athletes to internal competitions, pushing the athletes, understanding what's what. In the U.S., I understand the situation. I know this system, but I had drifted away from the Russian one.

- They say that Pasquale Camerlengo will choreograph for St. Petersburg pairs and our single skaters?

- No final decision yet. We do not know who and when will come to Detroit. There was a conversation with Tamara Moskvina, but nothing specific. Of course, I'm happy for my husband that he is so popular. But I do not think that there are no good choreographers left in Russia. It's hard to believe.

- Is it hard to work together with your husband?

- Depends on the way you look at it. We complement each other, although we argue often. But as a result of our discussions, something interesting, original comes out.
    We work in Detroit, together with Natasha Annenko, Elizabeth Punsalan, Massimo Scali. I am glad that Massimo has joined our group, because he has finished his career just recently. He has a lot of energy. He spends all the practices on ice in skates.
    Now we work with 13 pairs. We must plan everything clearly. This championship is over, and there is no time to rest. In between practices I sit in the hotel and listen to music for next season programs. Next week we will start choreographing, we must hurry, because in America competitions start early, in late July.

- Do you teach your children to skate?

- I would have taught them, but my husband is against it. My daughter and son have skates, they skate, but not every day. Stella is studying ballet, Anthony is a sporty boy. He will choose something eventually. I try to give my children as much attention as I can. But I don't want to to take them to the skating rink. If you want children to become figure skaters, you have to do it professionally. Otherwise, don't even start.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Thank you quiqui! I didn't think a Russian/Italian pair could hurt the feelings of a rude Euro pair

Quote Originally Posted by quiqie View Post
    - Do you teach your children to skate?

- I would have taught them, but my husband is against it. My daughter and son have skates, they skate, but not every day. Stella is studying ballet, Anthony is a sporty boy. He will choose something eventually. I try to give my children as much attention as I can. But I don't want to to take them to the skating rink. If you want children to become figure skaters, you have to do it professionally. Otherwise, don't even start.
    I find this fascinating, since a lot of athletes and ballet dancers say they started because their parents brought them to the rink/studio as kids.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Thank you quiqui! I didn't think a Russian/Italian pair could hurt the feelings of a rude Euro pair
    My thoughts exactly. Especially the French.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast