Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    I get a Joubert vibe from Brezina. Solid skater, great jumps when on, but basically mediocre in everything else.

He will need a lot of consistent performances and medals to build his PCS up (i.e. Hanyu). Otherwise he can hardly stand a chance in Sochi.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I get a Joubert vibe from Brezina. Solid skater, great jumps when on, but basically mediocre in everything else.

He will need a lot of consistent performances and medals to build his PCS up (i.e. Hanyu). Otherwise he can hardly stand a chance in Sochi.
    I agree, although Michal is maybe a better spinner (he's quite flexible, the only thing about his spins is that they are very sloow), and I think can handle a broader range of programs. Joubert's Beethoven's 5th was the first time he really tried something different from his usual and was successful with it, Brezina OTOH has already shown a variety of programs, the Salsa FS from the season he won JW silver, Putting on the Ritz SP, American in Paris FS, Kudoo Drums SP, Untouchables FS are all pretty different from one another and he pulled all of them off convincingly. I do think you're on to something though, in that, I would say a skater like Joubert won't likely be capable of winning World/Olympic medals in 2014 and beyond, not with all these young skaters coming up who have the big tricks AND great spins/artistry/presentation. Brezina has the time and skills to become the whole package and a podium threat, but I think it will take clever choreography/programs and lots of hard work by him to push the envelope artistically, as I do not sense he is particularly artistic by nature, but rather a jumper.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Maybe Brezina just wants a Slavic OGMist as his coach going into the Olympics. I can't imagine that the change will improve his skating since Brezina is already more interesting to watch than Viktor ever was post-1988.

I hear Petr Barna is coaching, so maybe Brezina would consider him. At least Barna knew how to do real field moves and 4T, although no 3A.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 04-11-2012 at 12:55 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    Okay, I give. How does one pronounce "Fajfr?"
    Faifr.

'a' like in Wagner

Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Joubert's Beethoven's 5th was the first time he really tried something different from his usual and was successful with it
    Completely ignoring the music for the duration of the program is 'successful'?

If you mean his competition results, those weren't particularly 'successful' either.

vCash
    Maybe Viktor will help him NOT scrunch his body prior to jumps.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

Completely ignoring the music for the duration of the program is 'successful'?

If you mean his competition results, those weren't particularly 'successful' either.
    He did the program justice at Euros and Worlds last year where he did quite well, at least in the FS. The point I was trying to make is that Michal is not limited to programs centered around making sexy poses to hide the lack of transitions and skating around like a macho man, which pretty much describes every program Joubert has skated, save Beethoven's 5th. No offense to Joubert, he does it well, but it's probably good that Michal can do a broader range of programs because I doubt he can pull off the pleather unitards, sexy posing, and manly man strutting as well as Brian can.

vCash
    Wishing Michal all the best in his coaching change. Welcome to the USA, Michal!

vCash
    wow, quite unexpected for me! hope he'll succeed under Viktor's tutelage.

btw, I wonder what a "potato medal" is ...

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    ^ I don't know, but leave it to a Czech to find another way to use a potato.

Seriously, a Czech meal can consist of 5 items, and you wouldn't know it, but 4 of them are potato based.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shah View Post
    btw, I wonder what a "potato medal" is ...
    Means 4th place in Czech (so no medal only a "potato", which I think is "pewter" medal in the US.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    ^ I don't know, but leave it to a Czech to find another way to use a potato.

Seriously, a Czech meal can consist of 5 items, and you wouldn't know it, but 4 of them are potato based.
    I can assure you that Czechs use potatoes exactly the same way as you do and as anywhere else in the world people do.

Not sure if I understand about your impression of the Czech meal. From my experience there are not 4 out of 5 potato based. But what do I know...

vCash
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Michal really speaks honestly, doesn't he? Hopefully he gets a clean FS this season from working with Petrenko.

vCash
    Michal withdrew from the Moran Memorial Championships this weekend, but I did see him there at the Ice House.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Glad is he hoping to stay past Sochi.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    "But nobody really agreed with the [judging] in the short at Europeans last season. In the free, he (Zhenya) did a clean program with a quad and two triple Axels, and that deserved 170 points. But to be second after the short, with what he skated ... there were people who skated better shorts than Zhenya.

To be honest, I don't get what Brezina means. Who does he believe should have won a small silver medal at Europeans SP? All I remember is that young guys had problems at their short programs. Moreover, most of them lost Plushy in TES. Only Verner's TES beat Plushy's

vCash
    Well, Michal seems to feel that some other skaters at Europeans had better shorts than Plushy. I think Michal shows respect to Plushy while at the same time honestly stating that he and others of the younger guys need to step it up to pass Plushy. Michal is saying that he is game to do that. Nothing wrong with that attitude.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oubik View Post
    Means 4th place in Czech (so no medal only a "potato", which I think is "pewter" medal in the US.)
    Curling in Canada has the same name for 4th place. I was told it was because of the disappointment that you feel for coming so close to getting a medal, and that weighs on you just the same as you would feel in your stomach from eating a potato
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Well, Michal seems to feel that some other skaters at Europeans had better shorts than Plushy. I think Michal shows respect to Plushy while at the same time honestly stating that he and others of the younger guys need to step it up to pass Plushy. Michal is saying that he is game to do that. Nothing wrong with that attitude.
    This is correct. Michal has stated before that he has tons of respect for Plush, but he wants to try to be as good as him/pass him.

vCash
    Plushenko did benefit from not having the most technically difficult short but a clean short. He did have high PCS as well. He did do a long with a quad a 3/3 and it was very impressive as Brezina says but the short was all working the system. I was just glad he was beaten by Gachinski!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast