Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Brezina makes a coaching change

According to his official website he is going to train with Viktor Petrenko. Does anyone know more about it?

vCash
    Link: http://www.michalbrezina.com/

Petrenko is based at the Ice House in Hackensack, New Jersey.

Quadless
    vCash
    I certainly didn't see that coming, and am somewhat surprised. I know he had a disappointing final result at Worlds this year, but his skating overall seems to have been progressing. I'll miss those funky red glasses in the K&C.

ETA: I wonder how the English version of his website is being produced. Unless Czechs have a tendency to be particularly frank, this bit of the announcement certainly seems odd:

Michael ended cooperation with coaches Peter Starec and Karl Fajfr old man.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Very odd.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    I don't know if its that surprising, isn't he dating an American? So he gets to be closer to his girlfriend, and i really do think he needs a change. His skating is progressing but his results aren't necessarily.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    ETA: I wonder how the English version of his website is being produced. Unless Czechs have a tendency to be particularly frank, this bit of the announcement certainly seems odd:
    I only speak very basic Czech, but I did not see any "old man" reference in the Czech version.

Interesting move for Brezina - he's clearly very talented, so I hope it pays off for him in consistency.

vCash
    Is there perhaps a younger Karl Fajfr, and the intent was to reference "the elder," which then was poorly translated into English as "old man"?

vCash
    I am from the Czech rep. Originally it says: Michal ended "up to now/standing" cooperation with Peter Starec and K.Fajfer. Nothing about old man

vCash
    Elsewhere on the English language portions of www.michalbrezina.com:

Will Březina break his potato’s damnation?

vCash
    Sounds like an FSU rep level!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    I certainly didn't see that coming, and am somewhat surprised. I know he had a disappointing final result at Worlds this year, but his skating overall seems to have been progressing. I'll miss those funky red glasses in the K&C.

It is not translated properly. In the Czech version is: "Michal ukončil dosavadní spolupráci s trenéry P.Starcem a K.Fajfrem." Which means: "Michael ended his cooperation with coaches Peter Starec and Karl Fajfr". The 'old man' is translation of Mr 'Starec'. It is not a good idea to translate surnames!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I don't know if its that surprising, isn't he dating an American? So he gets to be closer to his girlfriend, and i really do think he needs a change. His skating is progressing but his results aren't necessarily.
    He did have an American girlfriend, but I don't know if they are still together.

I don't find this all that surprising; I don't think Brezina has been making much progress at all. He's been doing well for several years but can't quite break through (winning a crappy Skate America with a crappy free skate doesn't count). His main issue - surviving the LP - has not been addressed. I don't know if Petrenko is the right choice for him, but changing things might not be such a bad idea.

vCash
    I too will miss those crazy red glasses, but good luck to Brezina!

moving right along
    vCash
    gahhhh....I hope Nina Petrenko doesn't get the job of choreographing for him. Please Petrenko gang, do not swamp Brezina with lounge lizard music.

vCash
    He was dating Allison Reed as of not too long ago. Not sure if/where she trains out of.

Good for him for making the switch to improve. I'm guessing he wants to train in a more competitive environment and develop his style...?
    In an interview a few months ago he said he was somewhat bound to home for school reasons but now he's done so his training options are open. He didn't say it in a way that signaled a big move like this, though.

For a scrawny little guy he gets freaky height on his jumps. I look forward to seeing him develop.

vCash
    I also have a feeling that he was improving, yet not improving.

His skating was getting better but the consistency/stamina issues remained and everything could use a bit more polish.

Potential is definitely there. Hopefully this change works out for him.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyNit View Post
    gahhhh....I hope Nina Petrenko doesn't get the job of choreographing for him. Please Petrenko gang, do not swamp Brezina with lounge lizard music.
    I agree but her "choreography" is even more of an issue than the dreary music.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Elsewhere on the English language portions of www.michalbrezina.com:

Will Březina break his potato’s damnation?

Second office of the day, courtesy of FSU.

vCash
    Let's hope he does better with Viktor then Johhny did...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    Let's hope he does better with Viktor then Johhny did...
    If Johnny actually focused on his skating instead of on being a Z-list celebrity, he probably could have done very well.

vCash
    I wonder if a coaching change will help, as I´d suppose the problem is between his ears... At least he is trying to improve and that is something.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast