Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

It's official: Kirsten Moore-Towers & Michael Marinaro

Starting a new thread from the M-T/M split thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by luckiest1 View Post
    Skate Canada article on new team Moore-Towers & Marinaro
    They will train with the Wirtzes in KW.

KMT quote from the press release:
    “... We've been working on our pair elements, the lifts, the throws, the twists and side-by-side jumps. As we're getting to know how one another skates, we're also looking at interesting and innovative entrances and exits, and just exploring what we can do together.”
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-03-2014 at 08:03 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Well, all the best to this new team. Kirsten has one of the most engaging smiles I have ever seen. Hope we see lots of it this coming season.
    pug lover

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    I look forward to seeing them compete!
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Cdn Nationals just got a whole lot more interesting if the rumours about Dylan's new partner also turn out to be true!

vCash
    This'll be an interesting season.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Noooooooooo!!! As in the awkward guy that skated with Purdy??

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Yes, Marinaro was Purdy's partner. Purdy grew too tall for him, and they had a rough time of it this past season.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I'm sure he will have no problem with KMT....she's very tiny and he's a big boy. I'm excited for them
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Skaters always prove the cliche that most are sadly sheltered and live in their own little bubble.
    They rush into making crap decisions. Brubaker is perfect example of throwing career away, by choosing 2 mediocre, out of shape partners, back to back. Everyone on here was trying to be enthusiastic and defending his choices, saying they were good skaters etc.
    Same here, she's rushed her choice, he's never going to get to her level. Sad that they broke up such an amazing partnership for this.

vCash
    I think the North American approach is partly at fault – political correctness would prevent anyone in authority from saying, ‘you know, that skater is never going to be top caliber’. Russians would have no problem saying that. Of course, every once in a while, they turn out to be wrong. But mostly not.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    Mary Beth was an excellent partner for Brubaker. Unfortunately, she had that whole eating disorder thing to deal with.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Mary Beth was an excellent partner for Brubaker. Unfortunately, she had that whole eating disorder thing to deal with.
    No disrespect but Mary Beth was never going to get Rockney on a world or oly podium, which is something he could have aspired to with the right. They didn't look good together physically at all. Let's not even start on the Davis partnership.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Yeah, I'm not sure how you could call Mary Beth "out of shape". I do agree that she was the wrong partner for Brubaker just because of the mismatch in age and maturity, but she was a very talented skater and would have been a great partner for a younger, junior skater.

In this case though, I've always thought that Marinaro was one of the more talented male figure skaters in Canada who was just waiting for the right partner - while Margaret had beautiful lines, the lack of height difference was always going to be a limiting factor. I seriously don't think there is a better option out there for Kirsten, if we take it as a given that she was going to split with Dylan. You can tell me I'm wrong if they show up in the fall looking terrible, but I can see it working. (That said, I do agree that it was silly to split with Dylan for the reasons she gave publicly.)

vCash
    I guess time will tell and certainly the grass is not always greener on the other side, but I also choose to respect the thoughts and feelings that go into these decisions. Meagan and Eric are classic examples of two very different skaters in many ways - height, body type, line, style, perhaps even personality. They are both strong skaters and jumpers who have worked very hard, seem to both love to skate together, have shared goals, and have turned that into success on the podium. Canada now has two potentially strong, new pairs and I hope they are both successful.
    Last edited by puglover; 06-04-2014 at 04:59 PM.
    pug lover

vCash
    I'm willing to give M-T/M2.0 a chance to develop but part of me is still very perplexed why she dumped one of the top male pair skaters in the world to skate with Mike Marinaro.

The senior pairs event at Canadians in January is going to be very competitive to see who can step up onto the podium, along with Duhamel & Radford.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SLIVER View Post
    Same here, she's rushed her choice, he's never going to get to her level. Sad that they broke up such an amazing partnership for this.
    Perhaps Moore-Towers' tweet yesterday is meant for the naysayers like you?
    Things are often not how they seem. There is usually more to it than what you see on the surface. http://pic.twitter.com/3bJ2kNVD1i
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Catherine M View Post
    I'm willing to give M-T/M2.0 a chance to develop but part of me is still very perplexed why she dumped one of the top male pair skaters in the world to skate with Mike Marinaro
    Clearly it was age, Marinaro is only 22. I doubt Dylan (almost 30) can go another 4 years before injuries do him in. MT/MM can probably go for 8 more years.

vCash
    I am saddened by this pairing. I wish them luck but don't see their future as having world medal potential. I wish she had stuck it out with Dylan until 2018. I don't see either of them going past that. I'm sure she has her reasons though, so good luck to MT/M 2.0.

vCash
    I don't see a problem as they are both very young with plenty of time to gel and build on their partnership............big difference between 22 and 30 IMO.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    Clearly it was age, Marinaro is only 22. I doubt Dylan (almost 30) can go another 4 years before injuries do him in. MT/MM can probably go for 8 more years.
    I don't doubt that Kirsten wanted a partner closer to her age, but we can't assume that Dylan is likely to be forced out of the sport by injury any more than we can assume that a Moore-Towers/Marinaro pairing (which is pretty much an unknown entity) is likely to last 8 years. There have been a bunch of pair skaters in their early-mid 30s at the past few Olympics, and they've been all over the podium as well. Even someone like John Baldwin competed until age 36, and I don't remember people talking about a 29 or 30 year old Baldwin as if he would be doomed by injury in the following 4 years. And Dylan appears to be quite athletic and fit (sports medicine is also pretty good these days). If, say, Trankov wants to compete in 2018 at age 34, I don't think people will really question his ability to do so, but because Kirsten went for a younger partner, some people are acting like Dylan's probably going to turn into a cripple.

My guess is that there was more to the MT/M split than has been made public (and Kirsten herself has kind of hinted at that). And if that's the case, then Kirsten has been respectful of Dylan enough to not publicly air all of the issues. It's a shame the partnership didn't last longer, but what can you do. I don't quite know what to expect with this Moore-Towers/Marinaro partnership, but it may turn out fine, who knows.
    Last edited by stjeaskategym; 06-04-2014 at 10:49 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast