View Poll Results: Best ladies free skate of the season?

Voters
214. You may not vote on this poll
  • Carolina Kostner's "Concerto No. 23"

92 42.99%
  • Ashley Wagner's "Swan Lake"

72 33.64%
  • Akiko Suzuki's "Die Fledermaus"

15 7.01%
  • Alena Leonova's "Adagio for Strings/Requiem"

1 0.47%
  • Kanako Murakami's "Violin Concerto"

1 0.47%
  • Alissa Czisny's "Valse Triste"

2 0.93%
  • Mao Asada's "Liebestraum"

13 6.07%
  • Kexin Zhang's "En la cueva"

1 0.47%
  • Elizaveta Tuktamisheva's "Besame Mucho/Latin medley"

6 2.80%
  • Viktoria Helgesson's "Sunset Boulevard"

3 1.40%
  • Caroline Zhang's "Cello Concerto in B Minor"

5 2.34%
  • Other (specify)

3 1.40%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    I voted for Kostner's LP. I don't even know how many times I've rewatched her performance from Worlds!

vCash
    CARO!
    Her LP in Nice made me cry out of joy when she won!

I also very much liked Akiko's programme.

vCash
    So why did Carolina wear the silver spacesuit for a classical Mozart piano program? And why the unladylike potty-break squat (plie movement). Yuk.
    I can't tell you why she wore it, but maybe she did the squat to shake that camel toe she was sporting out. Yuk.

Cannot abide Die Fledermas. Don't like it no matter who skates to it, but Suzuki is so sickly sweet that it makes my teeth hurt to watch. I don't care how well she skated, either.

Ashley had the total package.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    So why did Carolina wear the silver spacesuit for a classical Mozart piano program? And why the unladylike potty-break squat (plie movement). Yuk.
    My sentiment exactly, especially for the squat.

I voted for Ashley. It was interesting throughout the program and suited her very well. But I don't really care for her arm movements for the spirals. Maybe if she could have shown more drastic facial expression change, it would have been better.

Mao's Libestraum LP is probably the only LP of hers that I like.

vCash
    For me, Ashley Wagner's "Swan Lake".
    I love this program so much.

vCash
    I really hope Ashley Wagner keeps her free skate for next season. There's no reason to change it in my opinion. The program has been well received by officials and fans alike.

The short, however, should probably be changed. It's good, not great.

vCash
    As well as Kostner's Free Skate, I've also enjoyed Viktoria Helgesson's "Sunset Boulevard" Free.
    Very mature. She looks like she enjoys skating to it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I really hope Ashley Wagner keeps her free skate for next season. There's no reason to change it in my opinion. The program has been well received by officials and fans alike.
    I completely disagree. While it's a fantastic program, I hope she has a fresh, new free skate for the new season.

If she doesn't change it, she will be viewed as stagnant and boring by some. And I'm sure Ashley is anything but boring.

vCash
    I'm very surprised so people love Ashley's FS now... I remember reading on FSU just a couple of months ago during Glacier Falls how boring and unoriginal it was by numerous posters...

vCash
    Wagner had a great season and showed great fire with Black Swan in 2012 but that program is not even close to the same level as Kostner's. Her vote total clearly displays the American lady obsession most of FSU has (also made evident by the dozen Gracie Gold threads). Don't get me wrong, it's a nice program that was performed very well, but totally empty compared to Kostner. Not to mention the all the subtle flourishes in Kostner's program and the difference in basic skating -- it's not even close for me.

But I didn't vote for Koster. I actually voted for Helgesson's Sunset Boulevard. Unfortunately she never skated it cleanly to her potential, I guess Europeans was her best effort. First of all I love the original music choice and how it builds. But the program is packed with lots of transitions and full-body movement to really interpret the music (she has amazing twizzles that she uses to accent the music well). I hope she keeps it next year and gets more confident with it and skate it to her fullest potential. I think people were distracted by the furry sleeves but beyond that this program is packed and definitely an example of COP at its best.

vCash
    ^ I'm always so surprised when everyone says how filled out the choreography of Caro's LP is. Transitions are few and far in between in that program and most of the choreography are movements (albeit very nuanced) that relate very well to the music. Caro, to me, seems to be stroking most of that program with nothing before any of the jumps. At least that's my opinion. Ashley had way more transitions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    I completely disagree. While it's a fantastic program, I hope she has a fresh, new free skate for the new season.

If she doesn't change it, she will be viewed as stagnant and boring by some. And I'm sure Ashley is anything but boring.
    You're right. I just love the program so much I don't want to see it go away!

The best move, of course, for Ashley is to get an equally as impressive FS for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    I'm very surprised so people love Ashley's FS now... I remember reading on FSU just a couple of months ago during Glacier Falls how boring and unoriginal it was by numerous posters...
    I liked Ashley's Black Swan from the very beginning, but even I will admit the program has come a long way since Glacier Falls. Mills tweaked the footwork and added more transitions. Ashley also understood the character of the program better each time she performed it. Despite the (small) error in her Worlds FS, I firmly believe that was her best performance of Black Swan to date.

Quote Originally Posted by alchemy void View Post
    Wagner had a great season and showed great fire with Black Swan in 2012 but that program is not even close to the same level as Kostner's. Her vote total clearly displays the American lady obsession most of FSU has (also made evident by the dozen Gracie Gold threads).
    How blatantly assuming of you. I am flag-blind when it comes to these types of things. If Ashley Wagner skated for Germany, Japan, France, Italy, or Zimbabwe I still would have chosen her FS at the best. Regardless of her nationality, I liked her FS the best; that's it. If you read up thread you will see that I paid Carolina and Akiko some very nice complements on their programs as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    How blatantly assuming of you. I am flag-blind when it comes to these types of things. If Ashley Wagner skated for Germany, Japan, France, Italy, or Zimbabwe I still would have chosen her FS at the best. Regardless of her nationality, I liked her FS the best; that's it. If you read up thread you will see that I paid Carolina and Akiko some very nice complements on their programs as well.
    Oh I get that, I just find it weird that so many people rank this program as best of the year. Of course, figure skating, and this poll specifically, is very subjective. And I have very questionable tastes in general, as Gold and Leonova had two of my favorite SPs this year.

My point is that I think that people are really excited there is apparantly an American woman who actually competes and wants it (as opposed to the princessy headcases we're used to). I think this excitement has rather inflated Wagner's total in this poll.

I'm probably reading too much into a trash can poll anyways.

vCash
    Liberstraume is probably one of the hardest programs this season
    but I did not like it, it puts you in a depressed mode but it mostly likely because it had affected Mao and Adelina and underperforming in their Freeskates

vCash
    Considering both the choreography and execution, Kostner wins by a mile.

Wagner's Black Swan was nice as a program, but her execution and interpretation pales in comparison to Kostner (and Suzuki).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alchemy void View Post
    Oh And I have very questionable tastes in general, as Gold and Leonova had two of my favorite SPs this year.
    Well, that explains it then...

vCash
    ^ I'm always so surprised when everyone says how filled out the choreography of Caro's LP is. Transitions are few and far in between in that program and most of the choreography are movements (albeit very nuanced) that relate very well to the music. Caro, to me, seems to be stroking most of that program with nothing before any of the jumps. At least that's my opinion. Ashley had way more transitions.
    I love this program when I watch on TV but after watch it live I'm less impress. Also, I agree with your assessment regarding stroking.

It is still my favorite program because of how the choreography match with music, but I can't say it is best ladies freeskate.

By the way, I need to give a honorable mention to Kesnia's Marilyn as it is only program that make me laugh so hard.

vCash
    I agree, and I've noticed it throughout the season. Anyway, it's the best program in term of musicality and quality. It's based on the very basic skating of Carolina, but I don't. I prefer simple and elegant choreographies against complicated not related to the music or with frantic moves. It's just a question of balance and talent

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    I prefer simple and elegant choreographies against complicated not related to the music or with frantic moves. It's just a question of balance and talent
    I agree. Carolina brings this program to life with her natural, simple elegance and it works for me, I find it so beautiful.

I have to say though that I liked last year's "L'Après-Midi d'un faune" even more. It was exquisite, so light and delicate. Loved her performance from Worlds in Moscow. Wish she could have performed this program to its fullest, like she did this year in Nice.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123