View Poll Results: Best ladies free skate of the season?

Voters
214. You may not vote on this poll
  • Carolina Kostner's "Concerto No. 23"

92 42.99%
  • Ashley Wagner's "Swan Lake"

72 33.64%
  • Akiko Suzuki's "Die Fledermaus"

15 7.01%
  • Alena Leonova's "Adagio for Strings/Requiem"

1 0.47%
  • Kanako Murakami's "Violin Concerto"

1 0.47%
  • Alissa Czisny's "Valse Triste"

2 0.93%
  • Mao Asada's "Liebestraum"

13 6.07%
  • Kexin Zhang's "En la cueva"

1 0.47%
  • Elizaveta Tuktamisheva's "Besame Mucho/Latin medley"

6 2.80%
  • Viktoria Helgesson's "Sunset Boulevard"

3 1.40%
  • Caroline Zhang's "Cello Concerto in B Minor"

5 2.34%
  • Other (specify)

3 1.40%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

vCash
    I voted for Carolina Kostner, I loved her program and also think she had the best SP this season. Nichol does better work for her than for anyone else.

I can't really say if I enjoy Akiko's LP in itself, or if this is affected by how she performs it. I'll have to watch again and decide.

Ashley Wagner's Black Swan is good, but not great.

vCash
    I voted for Carolina because it truly suited her. I think it gave her confidence.
    She seemed to love skating to it rather than being afraid.

vCash
    I voted for Mao's as it was the one I personally liked the most. Ashleigh's was a bit cliche, but not terrible. I like Carolina's, but preferred Maos.

vCash
    until now, I'm still hooked to Carolina's SP
    he best so far, the music can't get it out of my head

tada da da da. tet tet tet , lol

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    I voted for Elizaveta Tuktamisheva's "Besame Mucho/Latin medley". Not only did she come to the party with strong technical content, she has a light and pleasing style that shows great promise.

I also loved Elena Gedevanishvili's Phantom of the Opera, and how she attacked it at Europeans.

vCash
    I'm surprised Mao's LP has the same number of votes as Elizaveta's...

vCash
    Ashley, by a mile. Every element was PERFECT with Ashley -- music, choreography, costume, expression.

I'd have Mao 2nd - it's an old program but so much more effective with the new chiffon sleeveless dress.

I also like the music & choreography of Kostner's program but fail to understand what a hyper-modern spacesuit/catsuit has to do with elegant Mozart music. I would have expected such an outfit with a jazzy or rock number...but gentle Mozart???
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Carolina's one is by far the best of works done by Lori for the past ten years and it deserved that PCS(65, IIRC?) despite a weak technical content. (Yeah, I'm all for that PCS should count also tech content.)

vCash
    So why did Carolina wear the silver spacesuit for a classical Mozart piano program? And why the unladylike potty-break squat (plie movement). Yuk.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    My vote goes to Carolina, hands down. Most interesting choreography, finally something different and she executed it so well. Loved the pantsuit, thought it enhanced the "contemporary" feel of the program and she looked fabulous. I love that she sets herself apart from the rest, she really is a breath of fresh air in the ladies' field.

My silver medal goes to Akiko, such a joyful and pretty program! So uplifting loving "Die Fledermaus" music in general.

Ashley's program was good but not very memorable imo. She performed it well though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Makarova's Marilyn Monroe
    Marilyn was rolling in her grave and breaking nails against a chalkboard at that one.

vCash
    Carolina Kostner's "Concerto No. 23" without any doubt. Stunning program.

vCash
    Mao's LP is GORGEOUS, but Akiko's is the only one that makes me smile!

vCash
    Ashley Wagner's, at the US Nats especially but also at Worlds. Isn't it the Black Swan though, not Swan Lake?

I almost voted for Akiko Suzuki, but after Ashley's US Nats performance I HAD to pick that one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    I voted for Elizaveta Tuktamisheva's "Besame Mucho/Latin medley". Not only did she come to the party with strong technical content, she has a light and pleasing style that shows great promise.

I also loved Elena Gedevanishvili's Phantom of the Opera, and how she attacked it at Europeans.
    Yeah, Elene's was good too, although sometimes she had TOO much speed.

vCash
    I voted for Ashley, because it was great each time out there. I loved Carolina's as well, but I prefer her AWESOME LP from last year to Prelude of an Afternoon with a Faun; she was the first skater since Janet Lynn who did justice to that music, IMO.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Ashley Wagner's, at the US Nats especially but also at Worlds. Isn't it the Black Swan though, not Swan Lake?
    Well, it's probably interchangeable. Swan Lake is the name of the ballet-music by Tchaikovsky. Odile is the name of the "Black Swan," the "bad girl!" So I think if you use either title, everybody knows what you mean.

I rewatched some videos before voting here, and although Carolina's skate is lovely, it's kind of generic to me. I'm so happy for her that she won....but I voted for Ashley. Watching this skate, I saw so many little nuances that told me she had watched ballet videos and put many small gestures, poses, and movements into her skate taken from things she saw on ballet vids. Hands, head positons, poses...but I think she just had the 'tude!' She was out for broke in a joyous and sensual way, just like Odile-

vCash
    1st: Definitely Carolina's LP. I love how the choreography accents all of nuances of the music. I've gained a huge appreciation for her skating this year: her speed is incredible, her lines are gorgeous and I love how she performs to the music. And even though I generally don't like bodysuits, that silver one is beautiful and works so well with her long lines. Her programs have always been great but when she skates cleanly you can really take notice of how musical she is and how well she performs.

2nd: Ashley. I love the pacing of the program, how detailed all of the choreography is. Ashley did a great job of blending grace and strength in this program and, for the first time since she's been on the scene, there's a calmness about her skating that actually puts me at ease when I watch her. The costume was gorgeous, I LOVE the spiral and even more than her program I loved Ashley's confidence. It's been so long since a US woman has been both confident and captivating...I'm definitely an Ashley fan now.

3rd: Mao's Libestraum. She didn't have too many wonderful performances this season but that music was made for Mao and the choreography is wonderful. The lightness, the elegance and grace...Mao's skating is simply classic. I hated to see her struggle again but she has improved since last season. When she's on, that program just floats across the ice...simply beautiful.

4th: Akiko. Akiko's programs are always wonderful and I really enjoyed her Die Fledermaus this year. It's not my favorite (that's a toss up b/w West Side Story and Dark Eyes) but no one performs like she does. The energy she gives the choreography, the commitment to the character...she just comes alive in a way that no one else does and it really pisses me off that she doesn't get more credit for that. She's wonderful...

Special mention:

Kanako Murakami's SP is fabulous. She had one of my favorite SPs last season and she had my favorite this season. Kanako's not as graceful or elegant as Mao or Carolina but I love her maturity and the way she performs. Her last two performances (4CC and worlds) were wonderful...I can watch it over and over again. I love the speed she carries throughout and the footwork section is amazing. Great selection of music and wonderful choreography...

vCash
    Another vote for Mao's Liebestraum. I think this was her only LP that I've really loved. It really brought back the joy in her skating too.

I liked Kostner's LP a lot, but there were moments when I couldn't help but remember Suguri's great Mozart LP from 2004. Lori Nichol choreographed that one too.

vCash
    Despite the embarrassing Zayak rule violation, I think Korpi's LP deserves a mention. I Got Rhythm is her best choreography so far with some smart details and transitions. If she ever completes a clean LP, I wish it would be this (although I don't know if she'll keep it for next season).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast