JEWELS.
    vCash

USA 2012 Olympic Team Trials

Saw that NBC has posted their TV schedule for the upcoming Olympic Trials for 10 of the Olympic sports. I'd not realized that they would be starting so soon but it does make sense! London starts on July 27!

The last two weeks of June are jam-packed with Swimming, Track & Field, and Gymnastics trials.

Here is a link to the schedule: http://www.nbcumv.com/mediavillage/s...3551608355.xml

NBCSN = NBC Sports Network (NOT Universal Sports )
    NBC = NBC Network

2012 U.S. Olympic Team Trials and Exhibition Events – Television Schedule

Sun., April 22
    4-7 p.m. ET NBCSN Wrestling – Finals (next day coverage)

Mon., April 23
    3-6 p.m. ET NBCSN Wrestling – Finals (next day coverage)

Sun., May 13
    3-5 p.m. ET NBCSN Volleyball – Men’s Olympic Qualification Tournament Final (next day coverage)

Sun., May 27
    3-4:30 p.m. ET NBCSN Water Polo – USA Men vs. Hungary (live)

Tues., June 19
    12-2 a.m. ET NBCSN Diving – Semifinals: Men’s 10-meter (live)

Wed., June 20
    10 p.m.-2 a.m. ET NBCSN Diving – Semifinals: Men’s 3-meter (live); Women’s 10-meter (live); Women’s 3-meter (next day coverage)

Thurs., June 21
    10 p.m.-12 a.m. ET NBCSN Diving – Synchro Finals: Women’s 3-meter; Men’s 10-meter (live)

Fri., June 22
    9-11 p.m. ET NBCSN Track & Field – Finals (live)
    11 p.m.-12 a.m. ET NBCSN Diving – Synchro Finals: Men’s 3-meter (live)

Sat., June 23
    1:30-3:30 p.m. ET NBCSN Field Hockey – USA Women vs. Argentina (live)
    4-6 p.m. ET NBC Diving: Men’s 10-meter – Finals (live)
    6-7:30 p.m. ET NBCSN Rowing (from June 11-14) and BMX (from June 16)
    8-9 p.m. ET/PT NBC Track & Field – Finals (live)

Sun., June 24
    3-6 p.m. ET NBC Diving: Men’s 3-meter, Women’s 10-meter, Women’s 3-meter – Finals (live)
    7-8 p.m. ET/PT NBC Track & Field – Finals (live)

Mon., June 25
    6:30-8 p.m. ET NBCSN Swimming – Qualifying Heats (same day coverage)
    8-9 p.m. ET/PT NBC Swimming – Finals (live)

Tues., June 26

Wed., June 27
    7-8 p.m. ET NBCSN Swimming – Qualifying Heats (same day coverage)

Thurs., June 28
    4:30-5:30 p.m. ET NBCSN Swimming – Qualifying Heats (same day coverage)
    5:30-8 p.m. ET NBCSN Gymnastics – Men’s Competition (live)

Fri., June 29
    4:30-6 p.m. ET NBCSN Swimming – Qualifying Heats (same day coverage)
    6-8 p.m. ET NBCSN Track & Field – Finals (live)
    9-11 p.m. ET/PT NBC Gymnastics – Women’s Competition (live)

Satur., June 30
    4-6 p.m. ET NBC Gymnastics – Men’s Final (live)
    9-10 p.m. ET/PT NBC Track & Field – Finals (live)

Sun., July 1
    6-7 p.m. ET NBCSN Swimming – Qualifying Heats (same day coverage)
    7-8 p.m. ET/PT NBC Track & Field – Finals (live)
    9-11 p.m. ET/PT NBC Gymnastics – Women’s Final (live)

Mon., July 2
    8-8:30 p.m. ET/PT NBC Swimming – Finals (live)

Sun., July 8
    6-7:30 p.m. ET NBCSN Water Polo – USA Women vs. China (live)
    Note:
    The 67½ hours of coverage on NBC and NBC Sports Network marks the most ever for the U.S. Olympic Team Trials, topping the 49 hours of trials coverage in 2008 and 40½ hours in 2004. Additionally, NBC Sports Network and Universal Sports will re-air a combined 117 hours of trials coverage (74 hours on NBC Sports Network and 43 hours on Universal Sports).

vCash
    What a relief for the many viewers still without Universal Sports. Thank you, His Weirness!

vCash
    Here are some other links -

Universal Sports Olympic Page - with trials news and videos.

USOC and NBC Olympic Trials announcement

Schedule of all USA Olympic Trials

List of 2012 Team to date

This week's trials are

Rowing
    Canoe/Kayaking
    Fencing

I see the women's triathletes have already been chosen but no men. Does anyone know if the USA doesn't qualify any men triathletes?
    Last edited by A.H.Black; 04-09-2012 at 04:54 PM.

vCash
    Just to note but swimming olympic trials still going on July 1-2 and the Olympic Games starting the 28, I have always guessed why they held us olympic trials soooo close to the big meet? sometimes the trials are even tougher for the swimmers, and to peak twice within a month, many just burn out, remember Kathrin Hoff in Beijing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Braulio View Post
    Just to note but swimming olympic trials still going on July 1-2 and the Olympic Games starting the 28, I have always guessed why they held us olympic trials soooo close to the big meet? sometimes the trials are even tougher for the swimmers, and to peak twice within a month, many just burn out, remember Kathrin Hoff in Beijing
    There is usually a "science" to the timing of trials. I think swimming trials are timed so tapering will be most effective. I'm sure it works better for some swimmers than others.

TV Schedule Note - Many of the trials are on the NBC Sports Network. This is the old Versus channel. You can find schedules and the channel finder here - http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/30092015/ns/sports/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    There is usually a "science" to the timing of trials. I think swimming trials are timed so tapering will be most effective. I'm sure it works better for some swimmers than others.

TV Schedule Note - Many of the trials are on the NBC Sports Network. This is the old Versus channel. You can find schedules and the channel finder here - http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/30092015/ns/sports/
    Thanks, and would you mind explaining what is tapering???

Well I hope that it works for the likes of Melissa Franklin, Lochte, even Hoff and many others (Phelps is no doubt he knows how to pace) still the US seems to be delivering a very deep and tough squad for London.

Australia helds their Trials in march, almost 4 months before the games

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Braulio View Post
    Thanks, and would you mind explaining what is tapering???

Well I hope that it works for the likes of Melissa Franklin, Lochte, even Hoff and many others (Phelps is no doubt he knows how to pace) still the US seems to be delivering a very deep and tough squad for London.

Australia helds their Trials in march, almost 4 months before the games
    Since I'm no expert, I looked it up. http://www.swimmingcoach.org/articles/9808/9808-3.htm

The following is a working definition of what we will be covering; a taper is "the reduction of workload during a period immediately prior to a major competition."
    It seems there's no one way to taper. Each coach and swimmer have their own secrets.

vCash
    thanks for posting these events.
    I was wondering when NBC Sports Network would start showing Olympic-related events. Right now, it's hockey.

(I'm also looking into international networks, available via subscription on Verizon Fios, that might be showing live or extended coverage of London 2012 - like RAI. Will return in a week or so with research and a new item)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    Unfortunately, the only "science" to the timing of this year's swimming Trials is that NBC wanted them as close to the Olympics as possible. USA Swimming and most of the swimmers would strongly prefer the Trials to be held in March or April, since it is very hard for swimmers to taper twice in 4 weeks. USA Swimming asked to have the Trials earlier, and NBC said no. To make matters worse, since USA Swimming wanted the Trials in Omaha again, they had to wait until June 25th to start Trials since the city can't handle the College World Series and Trials at the same time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedySucks View Post
    Unfortunately, the only "science" to the timing of this year's swimming Trials is that NBC wanted them as close to the Olympics as possible. USA Swimming and most of the swimmers would strongly prefer the Trials to be held in March or April, since it is very hard for swimmers to taper twice in 4 weeks. USA Swimming asked to have the Trials earlier, and NBC said no. To make matters worse, since USA Swimming wanted the Trials in Omaha again, they had to wait until June 25th to start Trials since the city can't handle the College World Series and Trials at the same time.
    Sorry to hear that swimming, like skating, is being forced to bow to the needs of TV ratings; sometimes to the detriment of the sport. Do you have any links you could post to stories about the scheduling of trials?

This week's trials include -

Sailing - women's windsurfing
    Equestrian - U. S. Trials, jumping.
    Wrestling - I wonder if Rulon Gardner will make the weight for his comeback.

Athletes added to the USA team

Lots of names added for fencing - didn't realize the team was that big.
    Women's weightlifting.
    I also see the names for the women's basketball team are listed. Did anyone see that announcement?

The first of the televised trials is this coming Sunday. It's wrestling - on NBC Sports Network.
    Last edited by A.H.Black; 04-18-2012 at 05:35 AM.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    The timing of the US swimming trials vis-a-vis the Olympics is bad, period. In order to taper, you have to first be training at a very intense level over a long term. Then the taper itself occurs over more than just a few days. There is no time to get yourself back up to the most intense training level and then taper back down in the <month between.

It is definitely very individual, though. My daughter's club/HS coach never really figured her out (and tried a few things); her college coach seems to have done better.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    Its unfortunate because I think that extremely demanding schedule has taken victims in the last two Olympics, in 2004 I think Brendan Hansen would be the olympic champ if the US trials were held months prior to the big meet, in 2008 Katie Hoff and Kate Ziegler were the unfortunate ones I can think right now. But if still the US dominates the swimming competition then they dont need to change anything, I just hope that the ones like Phelps, Lochte, Franklin, Volmer and even Coughlin succeed with the 2 big meets within a month

vCash
    The wrestling trials are on today and tomorrow and NBC Sports Network. Universal Sports will run repeats of the broadcast next week.

vCash
    Here's the schedule for this week's trials -

27 Swimming - U.S. women's open water trial (selection to seek direct qualification)
    27-29 Wrestling - Olympic qualifier (quota spots)

May

1 Judo - Final ranking (direct qualification)
    3 Badminton - Final ranking (quota spots/direct qualification)
    4-6 Rowing - World Cup (direct qualification)
    4-6 Wrestling - Olympic qualifier (quota spots)
    4-9 Sailing - Women's match racing, U.S. trial (final U.S. qualification)
    4-13 Boxing - Men's qualifier for the Americas (direct qualification)