Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    And try to find anything by France D'amour (if I remember her name correctly), she's ... so ... fun ? Neat ?
    And I also love Isabelle Boulay's voice. Je t'oublierai if I remember the name of the song that is best known to me.

Ben l'oncle soul is quite fun to listen to. Soulman for example.

William Sheller has great songs : Excalibur, Basket Ball, Un homme heureux

Do you need more ??
    Last edited by MarieM; 04-07-2012 at 09:15 PM.
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarieM View Post

Do you need more ??
    I think I have enough for a lifetime. But feel free to add more. If I'm not fluent in French by the time I listen to everyone's suggestions, then there is no hope.

Crazy Russian Tundra
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn226 View Post
    I'm listening to an album by M Pokora (A la poursuite du bonheur) that I downloaded. So far I like it, but I only understand about one in twenty words. Obviously, my French could use some work.

Any recommendations?

Merci beaucoup.
    I love M Pokora. He is not perfect, but so cute Also you can try listening his Mise a Jour album (previous to the one mentioned). Probably Mylene Farmer will do, Rod Janois, Les Enfoires (the have some remakes of the world hits in French), Shy'm, Ycare, TAL, Thomas Dutronc, ZAZ, Michael Miro

vCash
    Pour Ton Sourire by Jorane (with guest Daniel Lanois, though he's normally an english artist) is amazing. I love a lot of her stuff.

Anggun! She doesn't come up nearly enough.
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

vCash
    I don't know what general level you're at, but listening to children's songs can be very helpful in learning and retaining a language.

vCash
    If you like Piaf and are interested in her contemporaries, Lucienne Delyle is a good choice.

Charles Trénet sang the original version of Beyond the Sea.

I also like Juliette Gréco.

Lastly, Aussie jazz singer Janet Seidel has an album of standards called Comme Ci, Comme Ça sung half in French, half in English. It's available on iTunes.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Atour de Lucie
    Francois & the Atlas Mountain

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    When I was quite young, there seemed to be enthusiasm for Mireille Mathieu as "the new Piaf", and I have seen many YouTube videos showing performances of hers from many points in her career. Is her style no longer in favor?
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    My French really improved when I started listening to French music too. I started by listening to KYO, which I think of as the French Linkin Park. It's pretty much emo pop/rock, but it's catchy and hey, I was in middle school and angsty teen lyrics were the norm. Une Dernière Danse and C'est Ma Faute are on the slower side and have simple lyrics that shouldn't be too much trouble to comprehend on first listen.

As mentioned above, Les Enfoirés are a group of famous Francophone artists who sing a bunch of covers in a charity concert every year. I used to watch that and pick out the songs or artists that I really liked. A few songs that I was introduced to by that show:
    Petite Soeur - Lââm
    Mon Frère - Maxime Le Forestier. (Great review of le conditionnel passé and plus-que-parfait in the first verse alone, haha.)
    Mourir Demain - Pascal Obispo and Natasha St Pier. (Lots of le conditionnel and le futur tense here).

And a recent favorite:
    Elle Me Dit - Mika

vCash
    For something different, try Zachary Richard (Cajun singer/zydeco).
    http://www.zacharyrichard.com/

His site has free downloads plus lyrics from some songs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12