View Poll Results: Are you a Fan of Pairs Skating or Ice-Dancing,or Both?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am a Fan of Pairs Skating.

15 15.00%
  • I am a Fan of Ice-Dancing.

22 22.00%
  • I am a Fan of Both.

53 53.00%
  • I am a Fan of Pairs Skating AND a Pairs Skater too.

1 1.00%
  • I am a Fan of Ice-Dancing AND an Ice-Dancer too.

2 2.00%
  • I am a Fan of Both AND a Pairs Skater.

1 1.00%
  • I am a Fan of Both AND an Ice-Dancer.

6 6.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Who here is a Pairs/Ice-Dance Fan?

Hey, I thought we could do an update on this, since we haven't done one in a while. I would like to know who here (new Members included) is a Pairs Fan, and who here is an Ice-Dance Fan,and who is Both a Pairs AND Ice-Dance Fan.? If you YOURSELF are a Pairs Skater, OR an Ice-Dancer, plese include which one you yourself are. Please check all that apply to you.

Ok my Friends...GO!!!

vCash
    Both a pairs and ice dance fan, but never a pairs skater or ice dancer myself.

Btw, do you have any favourite couples?

vCash
    i just did the check and no im not an ice dancer, but i am a big fan of the discipline

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Both a pairs and ice dance fan, but never a pairs skater or ice dancer myself.

Btw, do you have any favourite couples?
    I sure do!!!! Lynn and Logan!!!

vCash
    I'm a fan of both, but have never personally done either.

I have too many favorites. Probably my all-time favorite pairs' team is Gordeeva/Grinkov.

vCash
    I like Pairs skating and I LOVE dance!

I do LOVE Pairs when it is a team I am really moved by -such as Shen and Zhao
    My new faves are Volosozhar and Trankov!

I have never skated pairs but I do some ice dancing. I am working on my Paso and Kilean (but I don't get to skate much so I have been working on them for a while!)

vCash
    Pairs if for me the most beautiful and my favorite of any of the disciplines

It is the most difficult as you have to invest in two people
    the timing, lifts, sbs, lines and turns need to be precise
    No wonder you are lucky enough to have a
    pair partnership for more than 10 years..

Ice Dance for me is the easiest and requires the less effort of all the disciplines

vCash
    Not a skater at all but enjoy both and the sense of freedom that each discipline conveys to me..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    Ice Dance for me is the easiest and requires the less effort of all the disciplines
    OMG.
    I'm an ice dancer, and be sure it's as much difficult as any other discipline, if done well. This is a very demanding sport because you need to be perfect. Few artistic skaters (if none) are able to skate the Rhumba the way Pechalat&Bourzat or Virtue&Moir do it.

vCash
    I'm a fan of ice dance

I have a great deal of admiration for the pairs, but COP has impact it the most. That, and I find the falls/accidents terrifying. Canadian Nationals 2010 showed D/D's unfortunate 4CC accident way too much.

vCash
    I am a pairs skating fan... I do not understand ice dance , how it is judged as a sport and probably never will.. I only took some dance tests to help with flow on the ice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by apatinar View Post
    I am a pairs skating fan... I do not understand ice dance , how it is judged as a sport and probably never will.. I only took some dance tests to help with flow on the ice.
    me neither, I think its judged mostly on PCS
    with marks for twizzles, skating positions and stepseq

Ice Dance is the most predictable of all the disciplines
    while Pairs is the most difficult of all the disciplines, imo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSWer View Post
    Me too ! also the Italians C/L , the German pairs S/S , the Russian pairs V/T

vCash
    I don't know... if ice dance is an Olympic sport, then there should be absolutely no problem for ballroom dancing to be added to the Summer Olympics.. it's pretty much the same thing, no?

vCash
    me neither, I think its judged mostly on PCS
    with marks for twizzles, skating positions and stepseq

Nope.

TES in Dance is determined as follows

- 1 or 2 compulsory dance sequences in the SD only that everyone in the competition must do (comparing apples with apples) - levels are determined by whether or not the steps are done on the correct edges with the right turns at the right spots on the ice; GOE is determined how well it is done, how deep the pattern is, how clear the edges are done, etc. For those who think it is so easy, only a few (and not even the Canton teams) were able to score level 4's on the rhumbas.

- lifts - there is only 1 in the SD, but a number of them in the FD, which must be different; levels are determined by how difficult the lifts are (entry and exits, number of rotations in a rotational lift, his and/or her positions in the lift, etc.), and in combo lifts whether or not the lift makes use of the full range of height; GOE is determined by how well the lift is done, how smooth it's done, etc. For those who think dance lifts are easy, consider that dance lifts are very intricate, with both partners intertwined, often in difficult positions, that if one person bobbles or catches an edge the wrong way, the ability to self-correct or "save" a lift is pretty near impossible. Risk of injury is very high.

- twizzles - these are not to be 3-turns, but twizzles; to get the levels, there has to be at least 2 sets in opposite directions, must be synchronized (he and she must both grab the foot at the same time in order to count the full number of rotations), must have minimum number of rotations, must have some difficult positions like a foot grab and/or hands above the head, etc, and must have a difficult entry into the twizzles (like a jump to start) or a 3rd set of twizzles; the Canton teams are the best in the world at twizzles. The GOE determines how well these were done, how fast, how in sync, how much ice coverage, etc. For those who think that's easy, just give it a try. There's a reason why even senior teams still struggle with twizzles.

- step sequence - this year in the SD it was a non-touching circular step. There are a couple of the step sequences in the FD, usually different ones. To get the levels, there must be required number of turns, the more difficult the better, and edges and highlights all synchronized; this is exceptionally hard to get the levels, since a flat edge at the wrong spot or poorly done highlight can knock levels down quickly, even if only 1 person made the error; GOE measure how well the step sequence is done - how deep the edges are, how the lines match, when steps are done in holds, how close the partners are together and if they are skating as one (ie. in side by side steps, are they "glued" together at the hips with legs and toes moving at the same time at the same angles; when facing each other, are they close together moving as one person). For those who think this is simple, there are very few teams in the world who ever consistently get level 4's on steps.

- dance spin - this is in the FD only; to get the levels, there must be a variety of positions and directions, the right number of rotations in each part of the spin, and so on; GOE determine how well the spin was done - with speed, accuracy, traveling or stuck, highlights worked well, etc. Of all the elements, I would say this is most like pair skating, and there is no difference in difficulty from pairs to dance.

The PCS mark is really about the program and skating as a whole. Doris has given a fabulous breakdown of the rules and levels, but here's a quick run down:

- Skating Skills: all about the depth of edges, the quality and smoothness of the skating, the flow, the unison, the lines, the ability to skate closely together, speed, power, etc. V/M score really high because they are just so superior on these things. D/W have such power and speed, which gives them high scores here as well. I would say a dancers' skating skills are just as high or higher than a pairs team.

- Linking footwork: how many cross-cuts were there instead of some difficult footwork in between the elements? Is the speed from stroking or from the edges themselves? Is there balance between what each partner is doing? Is there a connection in and out of the elements so the program looks like one idea? Is there variety? I have to mention the BC teams here because it is the most obvious example, whose favourite movement this year seemed to be the girl twizzling in and out of so many elements. Absolutely dancers do this better than pairs, and it is a lot more to think about in a program.

- Performance: how well was the music and program expressed through the skating? Was it performed, or a series of elements with some steps in the middle? Was there expression and understanding of the music and program? Both partners are invested in the performance? Both pairs and dance teams are pretty even on this in terms of difficulty. Some of the top pairs teams are very good performers (S/S, V/T, for example), but I think there are more dancers that understand the performance aspects.

- Choreography: how well was the program put together? Were all the difficult elements up front and the easy stuff at the end? Was it interesting and novel? Does the program use the whole ice? Are there unique and interesting elements? Is there difficulty in the program? Like the Performance mark, I think there are great examples on the pairs side (S/S who always have something unique, and V/T, S/Z in their later years...), but more dancers understand how to use choreography. The Detroit clubs each have their own style and do this beautifully (V/M, D/W, W/P, etc.)

- Interpretation/Timing: do the skaters move in time to the music, are the elements in time with the music, do they interpret the music or are they "just there", is there nuance, a great relationship between the 2 partners, and so on? Is it effortless or does it look like hard work? The very best in the world this year in this factor was V/M in dance. The lines, the toe points, the hands, the use of "s'wonderful", the looks between them, the ease and floating quality of their skating, etc. There is so much more complexity in the interpretation of a dance program than a pairs program.

So is dance so much easier than pairs? I would say resoundingly no. They are just different. One focuses on power and strength, and the other is about complexity with grace. I know both dancers and pairs teams. The pairs boys have big muscles to lift and throw the girls. The dance boys have a different kind of muscle strength because they need to have much more flexibility with their strength. Especially dance boys need strong core muscles, which means washboard stomachs. Dance girls require more flexibility and grace, and both pairs and dance girls need rock hard stomachs and core muscles. If I were a girl skater, I'd much rather be lifted by a dancer boy, since they seem much more solid on their feet. It would be interesting to put a step counter on a pair program vs a dance program. My guess is that there are many more steps and complexity with speed in a dance program. Both dancers and pairs need great cardio conditioning to get through the programs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    I have a great deal of admiration for the pairs, but COP has impact it the most.
    Really? I actually think CoP's worst impact was on ice dance.

And yeah, ice dance is my favourite discipline. The most interesting one, because the steps are the most intricate and the programs are the most complete, without useless skating around. There's something going on in a dance routine from start to finish. This, and ice dancers are usually much better at music interpretation than singles/pairs.
    But maybe I just say so cause I'm a dancer myself (not an ice dancer, a regular one).

so why do they say pairs is full of people who were too bad to skate singles?
    (JK, no offense anyone)
    Yes, pairs skating is the most dangerous of all, that's true. I admire pair skaters actually for putting the fear away and doing all those dangerous tricks. BUT it doesn't mean it's the most difficult of all. It just requires different kind of skills. I actually think it's impossible to judge which discipline is the most difficult/the easiest and statements like yours are pure ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by apatinar View Post
    I don't know... if ice dance is an Olympic sport, then there should be absolutely no problem for ballroom dancing to be added to the Summer Olympics.. it's pretty much the same thing, no?
    Barely. First off, if you add ballroom to Summer Olympics, you'll soon have modern/contemporary dancers want to add theirs too. There is only one ice dance, whereas there are tens of different kids of dance on the floor.
    Second, you have to be a skater first to become an ice dancer i.e. you have to learn how to skate. Skating is considered a sport thus ice dance is a sport too.
    And let me tell you, it's WAY easier to learn to dance than to learn to skate, let alone dance on ice.

Now don't get me wrong, I really love SOME pairs skating. I mean, I love skating in general, so I also enjoy pairs, but they don't move me as much as ice dancing. Some pairs out there are wonderful and I love them and could watch some programs over and over again. But in general, I prefer ice dance.

However, I had to grow to love it. When I started watching skating, at the age of about 11, dance was my least favourite. I didn't understand it. I needed to grow as a skating fan and to actually grow up a bit to fully appreciate the intricacy and beauty of ice dance. But to each their own. At the end of the day each discipline needs their fans

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    OMG.
    I'm an ice dancer, and be sure it's as much difficult as any other discipline, if done well. This is a very demanding sport because you need to be perfect. Few artistic skaters (if none) are able to skate the Rhumba the way Pechalat&Bourzat or Virtue&Moir do it.
    All right, so I guess you don't need to be perfect for other sports.
    And how many ice dancers can perform the Rhumba the way P&B or V&M do it anyway?

Also, would you point that few ice dancers can land a triple jump as Carolina Kostner?

Anyway, pairs is my favorite discipline. Love the lifts, the split twists, the (pre-CoP) death spirals, and the throws.

vCash
    I am a huge dance fan. I've always enjoyed pairs, but not as much as singles or dance. I actually find dance particularly demanding. Not everyone has the natural rhythm or flow to be a dancer off-ice. Add in ice and it becomes more challenging!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSWer View Post
    I like them as well, I think they're a bit underrated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    Really? I actually think CoP's worst impact was on ice dance.
    Yeah, I think the opposite. Love dance now more than ever. But I've definitely grown to appreciate pre-COP dance, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast