Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

vCash
    Ralph and Hill are already on the GP while Paul & Islam are not. If anything , the complaint should be about Gilles and Poirier getting a 3rd international before RH getting the second.

vCash
    Both Gold and Zawadzki already have 2 GP's. Why not give some other talented US skaters a chance at a Senior B? Apparently, USFSA is, as always, not spreading the love..............

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiK View Post
    Ralph and Hill are already on the GP while Paul & Islam are not. If anything , the complaint should be about Gilles and Poirier getting a 3rd international before RH getting the second.
    Ahhh sorry of course. I forgot Paul/Islam did not have a GP assignment this time round.

The complaint you've raised is very much valid though and proves that G/P seem to be SC's anointed ones.

Quote Originally Posted by demetriosj View Post
    Both Gold and Zawadzki already have 2 GP's. Why not give some other talented US skaters a chance at a Senior B? Apparently, USFSA is, as always, not spreading the love..............
    Yeah, I don't understand why the spots didn't go to somebody who is not entered for GP and for whom this would be the only chance to get 'out there' and possibly earn some ranking points.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    There aren't many entries from other countries, so given how deep the fields in the US are, I cannot understand why USFS isn't entering something like 5 skaters/teams per category.

There are no set limits. It's all up to the host.

Look at the Warsaw Cup 2011 results, to give one example:
    http://www.pfsa.com.pl/results/2011/WC2011/index.htm

6 Novice Ladies from Norway are entered, 5 from Lithuania and Finland, etc.
    The U.S. Federation made the decision long ago:

Quote Originally Posted by YukiNieve View Post
    Here's preliminary schedule:
    http://t.co/Pzf2p1mQ
    As the host organizer, U.S. Figure Skating reserves the right to enter a maximum of three (3) entries in each discipline. Additionally Canada will be invited to enter two (2) entries in each discipline with all other member nations invited to enter one (1) entry with alternate entries listed in case of openings. The Organizer reserves the right to limit the number of entries. The Organizer will confirm the accepted skater(s) after the closing date for entries. A maximum of 18 Ladies and Men, 12 Pairs teams and 15 Ice Dance teams will be accepted.
    I'm not sure how they've ended up designating four men. Maybe they changed the entry rules somewhere along the line. Or maybe one of the four is actually an alternate.

And, without getting into the specifics of the Warsaw Cup example, I do know that a lot of "B" competitions in Europe have entries from far fewer federations than this one will have, so it's not surprising there would be room for more entries from those federations that do participate.

vCash
    Ahhh sorry of course. I forgot Paul/Islam did not have a GP assignment this time round.

The complaint you've raised is very much valid though and proves that G/P seem to be SC's anointed ones.

Yeah, I don't understand why the spots didn't go to somebody who is not entered for GP and for whom this would be the only chance to get 'out there' and possibly earn some ranking points.
    Yes, guess we'll never really understand the wisdom of USFSA when choosing entrants....

vCash
    It almost seems like USFS can't quite figure out how to optimize international assignments among GP, JGP, and senior B events. I am disappointed.

Given ISU's new, very high minimum scores, there will probably be even more in-fighting for borderline skaters to get as many chance to qualify as they can grab.

vCash
    Not that matters much, but an interesting note..many of the foreign skaters are those that are former US and continue to train in the US, but represent other countries.....just sayin'
    Happy Skating!

Crzesk8dad

vCash
    The US appears to be banking on one of Gold or Zawadski to be the US #2 as we move forward toward Sochi. They will both need the points, as both are still pretty low in the rankings (Zawadski 19th and Gold 55th) and need some advancement moving into worlds, so they can be in later skate groups.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crzesk8dad View Post
    Not that matters much, but an interesting note..many of the foreign skaters are those that are former US and continue to train in the US, but represent other countries.....just sayin'
    I think it does matter, as a competition like this is the only likely way they will be able to get some ISU rankings and points if they won't meet the new minimum scores to get to 4CC or Worlds.

Ziggy, thanks for the clarification. I guess I was presuming Senior Bs were like GP events with a max amount of skaters who could be entered by the host fed.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Maybe the US just hasn't decide the last ladies and pairs spots and will be adding them later?

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sammyf View Post
    Maybe the US just hasn't decide the last ladies and pairs spots and will be adding them later?
    The entries already had to be submitted to the USFS (and probably the ISU) already. I doubt they are adding more skaters to the roster.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    They said they wanted up to 18 entries per discipline. There are currently 16 ladies entered representing other federations, so there's only room for 2 Americans unless they decide to add another warmup group. For the other disciplines, there's room to include more US entries.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by toddlj View Post
    The US appears to be banking on one of Gold or Zawadski to be the US #2 as we move forward toward Sochi. They will both need the points, as both are still pretty low in the rankings (Zawadski 19th and Gold 55th) and need some advancement moving into worlds, so they can be in later skate groups.
    That assumes US Nationals are predetermined....US Nationals predetermined? Heavens no! (sarcasm on)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    And, without getting into the specifics of the Warsaw Cup example, I do know that a lot of "B" competitions in Europe have entries from far fewer federations than this one will have, so it's not surprising there would be room for more entries from those federations that do participate.
    Why does it matter how many federations do or don't participate?

If you look at Warsaw Cup, the entries aren't really limited at all because if I understand it correctly, the city of Warsaw provides free ice time for this event (not 100% sure on this though).

The problem with this event is that the entries are limited to 18 Men and Ladies, 12 Pairs and 15 Ice Dance teams.

Not sure why such limitations have been set, given all of the skaters pay their own expenses. Maybe it's the cost of ice time (but come on, it's surely not that much and this event should be important to the USFS for all the obvious reasons)? Maybe it's worries about handling the event well logistically?

Given the above 2 Ladies being entered kinda of make sense (although would it really be such a stretch to allow let's say two more compete?).

But there are 15/18 Men entered and 6/12 Pairs and 10/15 Ice Dance teams leaving plenty of room for more US skaters to be entered.

USFS really shot themselves in the foot reserving only 3 spots for their skaters. It's their event, they can enter as many as they want to.

vCash
    Gold got screwed big time last year when she was only sent to 1 JGP. She could not do the JGPF and earn precious ISU points. It's only fair to give her this competition. She'll enter the Senior GP with a better ranking.

vCash
    Not sure why such limitations have been set, given all of the skaters pay their own expenses.
    All the U.S. skaters' and coaches' event expenses are paid for by USFS, AFAIK.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Does anyone know anything about the domestic novice and junior events being held in conjunction with this competition?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    Gold got screwed big time last year when she was only sent to 1 JGP. She could not do the JGPF and earn precious ISU points.
    Please explain how you feel she "got screwed" last year. She's lucky she got sent to even one JGP. Her previous year's results were not stellar. (Also, you are assuming she would have gotten to the JGPF, and that's not a given.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Does anyone know anything about the domestic novice and junior events being held in conjunction with this competition?
    The Salt Lake Figure Skating club site will eventually have some info: http://www.saltlakefigureskating.com/

2012 U.S. Figure Skating Challenge Skate
    September 12-16, 2012

In additional to the U.S. International Figure Skating Classic, we will be hosting the U.S. Figure Skating Challenge Skate. Invited skaters from across the country competing at the Novice and Junior level for dance, pairs and singles will compete. All event and daily passes will include both competitions. Additional information will be provided within the next few weeks. We will post the list of athletes and schedules.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    This article doesn't give a schedule, but it provides some information who will be participating and how it will be structured. Nice to see Amanda Evora as a team leader!
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast