Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    My memory says that most senior B's are in the same place each year. Is that correct? Do we have any idea if the Salt Lake Senior B will be in Salt Lake each year. It would be very cool if it was.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post

I believe this is the first-ever Senior B in the USA so we'll have to wait for the competition announcement to be published online.
    Okay, thank you Sylvia -- for the answer in reference to the questions on how many USA athletes can participates, and who determines that.

vCash
    It would be cool...if your skater likes skating at altitude, and if you live in the West.

OTOH, there is no reason that an East Coast Senior B couldn't be held, if not in the US, then in Canada.

vCash
    Can't believe that USFS is calling it "a senior B" in their official documents.

And yeah, great news!

Not only for American, Canadian and Mexican skaters but also for all the foreign skaters who train in US and Canada (and there are many).

vCash
    It could be named the ´Salt Lake SkateGate Memorial´

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    It would be cool...if your skater likes skating at altitude, and if you live in the West.
    I believe they've invented things called airplanes which are very good when you want to get somewhere far away from where you live.

OTOH, there is no reason that an East Coast Senior B couldn't be held, if not in the US, then in Canada.
    They could turn Thornhill into an international event. Oh wait, they tried to last season, but couldn't get their act together.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Yes, lovey, there are airplanes...for those that can afford them...and afford the room & board & tickets at the same time, in the same year.

However, the difficulty of finding a bar near a hotel in SLC is sufficient that I hope USFS will choose a different venue in another year.

http://www.slctravel.com/liquor.htm

The above website is happy to inform you that in the whole state of Utah, there are now 400 bars...that is, in 84,898 sq mi or 219,887 sq km...they do say it is now easier to drink in Utah though, than when we went there back in the 1990's.

And yes, Canada failed to get Thornhill going as a Senior B last year. It's a shock that USFS has managed to do the trick. I had thought Skate Canada was more efficient than USFS...

vCash
    And yes, Canada failed to get Thornhill going as a Senior B last year. It's a shock that USFS has managed to do the trick. I had thought Skate Canada was more efficient than USFS...
    Doesn't it depend on the number of federations represented by entrants and/or officials? So we still have to see whether SLC will pull it off.

Are they doing this as a stand-alone competition or in conjunction with an established club competition? That might have been part of the hangup with Thornhill?

I know my club considered bidding for the senior B in conjunction with our open competition and decided against it because it would be too much work to run essentially two major events at once.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Doesn't it depend on the number of federations represented by entrants and/or officials? So we still have to see whether SLC will pull it off.

Are they doing this as a stand-alone competition or in conjunction with an established club competition?
    It looks like this new Senior B is a stand-alone comp. Salt Lake Figure Skating's annual club competition, Skate Salt Lake, is scheduled for August 9-11, 2012, in Murray, UT and will be co-hosted by the Murray Silver Blades FSC: http://www.saltlakefigureskating.com/ (no mention yet of this Senior B on their club site)
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    However, the difficulty of finding a bar near a hotel in SLC is sufficient that I hope USFS will choose a different venue in another year.
    #firstworldproblems

Skating events = temporary food deprivation.

YOU GOTTA SUFFER FOR SKATING.

vCash

http://www.slctravel.com/liquor.htm

The above website is happy to inform you that in the whole state of Utah, there are now 400 bars...that is, in 84,898 sq mi or 219,887 sq km...they do say it is now easier to drink in Utah though, than when we went there back in the 1990's.
    My favorite microbrews on a trip to Utah 2 years ago were Polygamy Porter and Evolution Amber Ale from the Wasatch Brewery in Park City, both of which are worth getting just for the irreverent labels!

http://www.wasatchbeers.com/beers.html

vCash
    There was a period of time after the Olympics when Salt Lake and surrounding areas didn't do much about hosting competitions. I think there were several reasons for the let down -

- It seemed like everyone was a bit tired after the effort put into the Olympics and all the preceding events.

- Several of those who were very involved in organizing efforts in Salt Lake moved on to other challenges and some of them are getting older.

- There are many more rinks and skating clubs in Utah now than there were even 20 years ago. I would guess the number of clubs has more than tripled (or quadrupled) since I first stated actively going to shows and competitions in 1990. The number of new clubs has added many more skaters, but it has also somewhat diluted the concentration of people who were/are very active in organizing efforts.

In the last few years a "new" core group of motivated and capable people have organized several competitions that have turned out very well. I think those who came to Salt Lake for Adult Nationals a few years ago were quite complimentary. This new group seems to have the energy and ambition to bid for and attract new competitions like the new Senior B. I think Salt Lake will do an excellent job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    In the last few years a "new" core group of motivated and capable people have organized several competitions that have turned out very well. I think those who came to Salt Lake for Adult Nationals a few years ago were quite complimentary. This new group seems to have the energy and ambition to bid for and attract new competitions like the new Senior B. I think Salt Lake will do an excellent job.
    Yes, I attended ANs there in April 2011, and quite a few from our rink attended Junior Nationals there in December 2010 -- both competitions went above and beyond in their communication, organization, and volunteer staffing. It was a very nice experience!

The facility it's self (Salt Lake Sports Complex) is also one of the nicest that I've been to -- and WARM. As in, Midwesterners wearing short sleeves all day long in the stands and be warm enough--in April. It's a solid location for such a competition, and there's a fair amount to do on the tourist side as well if you're an athlete with a day off.

Also, as a relatively speaking not-the-most-fit-but-good-enough-for-2:40 freskates and gold dances athlete... the 4,000-ish ft. altitude was a complete non-issue for me. And most adults. And most junior national kids. I felt a much bigger difference between Salt Lake City and Broadmoor/Colorado Springs, then I did between Salt Lake City and sea level. As long as someone doesn't have preexisting health issues strained by altitude (asthma, etc.), I don't think the vast majority of athletes will have much of a problem with the altitude. Any problems getting through their programs will most likely be due to the fact that, hey, it's August.

vCash
    Here's preliminary schedule:
    http://t.co/Pzf2p1mQ

PRELIMINARY SCHEDULE (subject to change)

The final schedule of all the events, with practice sessions and practice groups, will be given upon
    arrival. Official practice sessions will begin on Wednesday, September 12.

Wednesday, September 12
    Official practice sessions.
    Judges’ Meeting

Thursday, September 13
    Short Dance
    Men’s Short Program

Friday, September 14
    Ladies Short Program
    Pairs Short Program
    Free Dance
    Men’s Free Skate
    Awards
    Judges’ Round Table Discussion – Men & Ice Dance

Saturday, September 15
    Ladies Free Skate
    Pairs Free Skate
    Awards
    Judges’ Round Table Discussion – Pairs & Ladies

Sunday, September 16
    Departures

vCash
    Thanks for posting the link to the Announcement!
    The Organizer will preferably accept skaters and couples having taken part in the finals of the Senior or Junior ISU Championships of the last two (2) seasons. As the host organizer, U.S. Figure Skating reserves the right to enter a maximum of three (3) entries in each discipline. Additionally Canada will be invited to enter two (2) entries in each discipline with all other member nations invited to enter one (1) entry with alternate entries listed in case of openings. The Organizer reserves the right to limit the number of entries. The Organizer will confirm the accepted skater(s) after the closing date for entries. A maximum of 18 Ladies and Men, 12 Pairs teams and 15 Ice Dance teams will be accepted.
    All competitors must be entered and all judges nominated only through their respective Member Association/Federation.
    The preliminary entries must reach the Organizer by Friday, July 20, 2012 and all final entries on Friday, August 10, 2012 at the latest.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    So there won't be a gala on Sunday? I hope the US sends the max entries in each discipline!
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    Shame they are limiting the number of entries so much but given it's the first time they are organising it, I can understand they want to stay on top of it and see how it plays out.

I thought USFS would enter more than 3 skaters though, there's nothing prohibiting them from entering as many as they wish.

There should be huge interest, it's going to be an amazing event.

vCash
    I missed seeing the sentence (bolded below) in the Announcement earlier:
    OVERVIEW
    U.S. Figure Skating will host a Senior International figure skating competition in Salt Lake City, Utah, Sept. 12-16, 2012. U.S. Figure Skating will serve as the organizer of this annual international competition that will feature top senior level athletes and top ISU level officials. In addition to the senior events, U.S. Figure Skating will also be conducting the “U.S. Challenge Skate”, a developmental competition that will be held at the same time featuring a U.S. only Junior and Novice division.
    Glad to see this new opportunity for the up-and-coming U.S. skaters! (USFS had been using the Skate San Francisco club competition the past 2 years for this purpose, but the invited skaters had to pay their own way, IIRC.)

vCash
    If I inderstand it correc tly, the Canadian Team Camp is the same week as this event. As such, none of team Canada would compete.
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

vCash
    What about the Canadian skaters not on the National Team? (below top 5)

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast