Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Can Skaters hear anything beyond their name called?

Say,how much can Skaters really hear when out on the Ice? Does anyone know if they can hear the annoucers or comentators in any way? What about in Kiss and Cry?

vCash
    The public address announcer in the rink is the same one who announces the skaters, they would hear anything that person announces, including scores.

The commentators that we hear when watching a broadcast on television or online, are not heard in the arena, so the skaters cannot hear them.

vCash
    Good question - most of them remain very focused and concentrate on what they are about to do. This is what surprised some fans of Mirai Nagasu as she appeared startled by a fan who called out to her at Nationals as she took the ice for her long program and looked toward where the voice came from - and then she had a bad skate where she seemed unfocused. Even at my low level of skating, once my name gets announced for a competition or exhibition, my brain totally goes into performance mode. A fire engine could roar through the rink, I probably wouldn't notice it.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    What about at the part were the Announcer is telling YOU watching what's happening on TV.?

vCash
    Skaters never hear the announcers (and I certainly don't compete at anywhere NEAR that leve, I'm an adult skater in my fifties). The commentary is for the television audience, not the folks in the arena. All you hear in the arena is the skater being announced, and their music (and the cheers of the fans).
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSWer View Post
    What about at the part were the Announcer is telling YOU watching what's happening on TV.?
    Those announcers speak into microphones that are only connected for the television broadcast. The people in the arena, both the skaters and the audience, cannot hear them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    Even at my low level of skating, once my name gets announced for a competition or exhibition, my brain totally goes into performance mode. A fire engine could roar through the rink, I probably wouldn't notice it.
    Me too, but occasionally I can hear people in the audience talking as I skate past them.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Jeremy Abbott said that he had no idea of his father's medical emergency during nationals. It was a big fuss, noticeable on tv, and right by the.ice. you really have to be in the zone to not have that break your concentration.

When I skate (very low level) I can hear and comprhend anything yelled out, but try to ignore audiences.

vCash
    [QUOTE=PDilemma;3540284]Those announcers speak into microphones that are only connected for the television broadcast. The people in the arena, both the skaters and the audience, cannot hear them.[/QUOTE

External broadcasting,right?

vCash
    [QUOTE=FSWer;3540458]
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Those announcers speak into microphones that are only connected for the television broadcast. The people in the arena, both the skaters and the audience, cannot hear them.[/QUOTE

External broadcasting,right?
    Correct.

The commentators during the event are sequestered in a small, soundproof box with their microphones. The microphones record their voices and nothing else. All other sound that you hear on a TV broadcast come from microphones placed elsewhere in the building. Therefore, no-one outside the box at the arena can hear the commentators, and the commentators can't hear a great deal either.

That's how it usually works; some competitions may have a different setup. But either way, the voices of the commentators are going straight to TV and the people in the building don't hear it.

vCash
    On the other hand, I do vaguely recall Kurt Browning agreeing with Scott Hamilton's commentary from the Kiss & Cry - it must have been at the Olympics where he had just messed up his SP.

vCash
    My DD says if you hear what the audience is doing, you're going to skate badly. Once her name is called, she is focused and doesn't hear what the audience is doing, even when it's family and friends cheering in support.

vCash
    The audience can help though. I remember that Michelle Kwan got into a funk in the middle of her long program in Nashville in 97, and we collectively pulled her back out of it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post

The commentators during the event are sequestered in a small, soundproof box with their microphones.
    Actually, at a lot of events I've been at, they are sitting at tables with little dividers between them, and you can hear their commentary during the event if you're sitting close enough.

But the tables are high up in the seating areas away from the ice, so the skaters can't hear the commentators.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    I remember Johnny Weir saying he could hear his family cheering him on in Vancouver,and he once said he heard the commentators talking about his Torino free skate at the 2007 nationals before he took the ice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Actually, at a lot of events I've been at, they are sitting at tables with little dividers between them, and you can hear their commentary during the event if you're sitting close enough.

But the tables are high up in the seating areas away from the ice, so the skaters can't hear the commentators.
    I'd like to seat near Scotty when he's working. He gets pretty riled up now and then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    On the other hand, I do vaguely recall Kurt Browning agreeing with Scott Hamilton's commentary from the Kiss & Cry - it must have been at the Olympics where he had just messed up his SP.
    Gee,somebody must have left the extertnal wire out then. LOL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    When I skate (very low level) I can hear and comprhend anything yelled out, but try to ignore audiences.
    This makes me wonder..When they show coaches rinkside yelling as their skater is performing, can the skater actually hear the coach? Can the coach yell instructions or a "key word" for the skater?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by magicpixie View Post
    This makes me wonder..When they show coaches rinkside yelling as their skater is performing, can the skater actually hear the coach? Can the coach yell instructions or a "key word" for the skater?
    Maybe. Coaches cannot coach skaters on the ice, but I've seen on youtube (at international events) coaches yell things like "power!" when the skater goes by.

They likely know whether their skater is the "in the zone" type or the kind that pulls on that.

I'm sure skaters can hear applause- you can tell when skaters feed on the energy of the rink, making a great performance greater, or pulling back from a mediocre one when the audience is supportive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post

Oh, that's interesting. I would have thought they'd have been in a booth to reduce interference with the microphone pickup of the commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I'm sure skaters can hear applause- you can tell when skaters feed on the energy of the rink, making a great performance greater, or pulling back from a mediocre one when the audience is supportive.
    Some skaters encourage the audience to get involved. I always notice that Plushenko seems to actively rev up the crowd, especially before a straight-line step.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast