Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Angry My cousin was brutally murdered

I was going to comment in the Trayvon Martin thread, but figured it was too OT....

My cousin in Puerto Rico got into an argument with another man over a PARKING SPOT, and was brutally shot to death. He probably should have just walked away from the situation, but he was unarmed, they were simply in a heated argument and then he was suddenly shot dead. Wendy's has video surveillance but they some how managed to "lose" the video. They're covering up the crime because the shooter is affiliated with a prominent organized crime gang. The police have done nothing and will do nothing. A man is DEAD and the cops won't even bat an eyelash.

After following the Treyvon Martin case so closely I'm just absolutely stunned. It's so crazy to see these types of things happen on the news, and a few weeks later my cousin has lost his life over a parking spot. Something so silly, so trivial. Why would any one take someone's life over something so minuscule?

I did a search for news articles since every thing I know has been word of mouth from family members. I came up with nothing. Zero. I don't expect this to be world wide news, there are so many atrocities that go on in this world, I know that the news can't possibly cover them all. But NOTHING even from the local PR news?! I always thought my mother was being a bit hyperbolic when she went on about the crime and corruption in PR, but now I really do believe her...Crime in Latin America seems to be getting worse and worse. It's such a shame because PR has so much to offer, and doesn't need these ugly people dragging everyone else down. I'm still in shock...most of all because I don't understand how someone can be so cruel to end someone's life in the flash of an instant because they wanted their parking spot.

vCash
    This news took my breath away, I am so terribly sorry for your loss.

What a horrible thing to have happened. Were you close?

vCash
    (((((Smiley)))))

I am so sorry. This must be difficult beyond words. My sympathies to you and your family.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I'm so sorry, Smiley. Condolences to you and your family.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    How horrendous! I'm so sorry for your family's loss. Is there nothing more anyone can do?
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    I am so sorry for your loss. My condolences to you & your family.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    How horrible! My heart is with you. Hugs!

vCash
    That's so awful, there are no words. My heart goes out to you and your family.

vCash
    Smiley, that is awful, awful news. Condolences to you and your family.
    The local cops won't do anything? I can only imagine the grief and rage you and your family must feel.
    Since Puerto Rico is considered US territory, can you involve the feds??

vCash
    I am so sorry, smiley. My condolences.

vCash
    How awful. I'm so sorry, Smiley0884.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiley0884 View Post
    I did a search for news articles since every thing I know has been word of mouth from family members. I came up with nothing. Zero. I don't expect this to be world wide news, there are so many atrocities that go on in this world, I know that the news can't possibly cover them all. But NOTHING even from the local PR news?! I always thought my mother was being a bit hyperbolic when she went on about the crime and corruption in PR, but now I really do believe her...Crime in Latin America seems to be getting worse and worse. It's such a shame because PR has so much to offer, and doesn't need these ugly people dragging everyone else down. I'm still in shock...most of all because I don't understand how someone can be so cruel to end someone's life in the flash of an instant because they wanted their parking spot.
    I'm really sorry for your loss. Sadly, this is not uncommon in PR (where I currently reside). We broke all records last year with our homicide rate and this year it's not much better. Our police force is incredibly corrupt and under federal investigation for civil rights violations. You can find the scathing report in the NY Times.

You guys need to apply pressure at the top. Was your cousin Puerto Rican, or from the continental US? I'm asking because we've had a few prominent cases involving non-Puerto Ricans which have been resolved because of the pressure applied from the US.

If you're looking for news on the internet, you probably won't find much. Our online news services pretty much suck- people here still love the newspapers. If you want, you can give me the date of the incident and I can look up a hard copy of any article for you.

Thunder & Lightning!!!
    vCash
    I am so sorry for you & your family's loss.

How horrible.

There is so much senseless crime in this world.

You are all in my thoughts and prayers.
    Peace & Love, Gypsy
    Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    The triviality of life that some people subscribe to never fails to astound me. I was reading an article tweeted by Roger Ebert about the death of a little girl in Detroit. Her death specifically was a tragic accident, but it was precipitated (as is not unusual in violent cultures common in east side Detroit) by her uncle shooting a teenager in cold blood for "looking at him wrong." The guy had gone back home to get some buddies and a gun to "show the kid a lesson" and the first thing they do is shoot the teen point blank in the chest.

http://motherjones.com/politics/2010...-jones-detroit

(((Smiley))) I know this might of little comfort, but I wonder if such cultures of violence and corruption are so engrained that it can only be solved by literally nuking everything and starting over. It is just so senseless.

vCash
    So sorry for your lose {{{{{Smiley and family}}}}
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

Thunder & Lightning!!!
    vCash
    There is just so much violence in this world it is hard to know what to do.

A few years back, our family had to deal with this also.

Someone who was like family to us had an argument with his step-son over using the phone. After he went to bed, the boy got a gun and shot him in the back as he slept. The boy was only 12 years old.

What makes a 12 year old think this way!!! Also, why was a gun so easy for him to get!! They tried him as an adult, and he will spend the rest of his life in prison. All over using the telephone.
    Peace & Love, Gypsy
    Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

vCash
    How hideously awful and senseless. Smiley, I'm so sorry. I hope your cousin gets justice.

vCash
    That's horrible. I'm so sorry.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

vCash
    I am so sorry, Smiley.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    How dreadful. My condolences to you and your family.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast