Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    No No No--Great Britain is the land of "Downton Abbey" and "Sherlock" and realistic soap operas and beautiful choirs at Christmas. I didn't know "Big Brother" started there.
    US shows based on British shows: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...evision_series
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Vacant
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    No No No--Great Britain is the land of "Downton Abbey" and "Sherlock" and realistic soap operas and beautiful choirs at Christmas. I didn't know "Big Brother" started there.
    Noooooooooooooo we did NOT give the world the reality show plague that is Big Brother. Endemol, the Dutch-based production company who invented the show, aired the first ever series in the Netherlands in 1999 a year before UKTV picked up the franchise and started airing it in 2000. Don't blame us!!!!!!!!!!!!

That said, there is plenty of utter crap on TV over here and I hope the rest of the world is spared 'The Only Way is Essex', 'Made in Chelsea' and worst of all 'Desperate Scousewives'.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I'd forgotten about a lot of those shows - Krytpon Factor was a favorite but I never saw the US version. Thanks for the memories.

Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    Noooooooooooooo we did NOT give the world the reality show plague that is Big Brother.
    Maybe not Big Brother but remember Fly on the Wall? That was groundbreaking in reality shows, IIRC.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Vacant
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post

Maybe not Big Brother but remember Fly on the Wall? That was groundbreaking in reality shows, IIRC.
    Fly on the Wall as in the style or an actual programme called that? I don't recall it if there was one.

vCash
    Any of the shows with Paris Hilton

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Fly on the Wall as in the style or an actual programme called that? I don't recall it if there was one.
    I could have the name wrong but I thought it was the title. I'm fairly sure it was on BBC and had cameras filming the day to day life of a working class family in Reading. Mother, father, 2 daughters - one with a child and live-in boyfriend, and 1 son (?). They all lived together in a council flat.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Vacant
    vCash
    I could have the name wrong but I thought it was the title. I'm fairly sure it was on BBC and had cameras filming the day to day life of a working class family in Reading. Mother, father, 2 daughters - one with a child and live-in boyfriend, and 1 son (?). They all lived together in a council flat.
    I don't remember that at all but it sounds about right. Actually the first kind of fly on the wall documentary over here started in 1964 and was called Seven Up. It is a documentary focusing on the lives of a group of children aged 7 from a wide variety of social backgrounds. There has been a follow up documentary every 7 years since and the next installment - 56 Up - will air later this year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Up_Series

vCash
    I understand some PBS stations show Coronation Street. Not mine.

I saw the first episode of Eastenders when it was originally broadcast and watched for a few years but then lost interest. It was never as good as Corrie, though. :
    I started watching Eastenders 2 summers ago. I can't even remember which storyline hooked me. I think we are up to 2004 episodes now. I've never seen Coronation Street. I've never watched American daytime soaps (well aside from the summer I spent with my grandma who had to watch her stories every afternoon. I was 10 and boy I hated it!!).

vCash
    I understand some PBS stations show Coronation Street. Not mine.

I saw the first episode of Eastenders when it was originally broadcast and watched for a few years but then lost interest. It was never as good as Corrie, though. :
    I started watching Eastenders 2 summers ago. I can't even remember which storyline hooked me. I think we are up to 2004 episodes now. I've never seen Coronation Street. I've never watched American soaps (well aside from the summer I spent with my grandma who had to watch her stories every afternoon. I was 10 and boy I hated it!!).

That said, there is plenty of utter crap on TV over here and I hope the rest of the world is spared 'The Only Way is Essex', 'Made in Chelsea' and worst of all 'Desperate Scousewives'.
    What on earth are "Scousewives"?

Vacant
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    I started watching Eastenders 2 summers ago. I can't even remember which storyline hooked me. I think we are up to 2004 episodes now. I've never seen Coronation Street. I've never watched American daytime soaps (well aside from the summer I spent with my grandma who had to watch her stories every afternoon. I was 10 and boy I hated it!!).
    Coronation Street and Emmerdale (used to be Emmerdale Farm from 1972 until 1989 when they dropped the farm aspect and added lots more sex) are both pretty good quality soaps with sometime ridiculous storylines, but some wonderful comic characters and great writing which reflects everyday life. IMO at least, they are both better than Eastenders which is just depressing and takes itself far too seriously. But growing up in the north of England where both Corrie and Emmerdale are set (Lancashire & Yorkshire respectively), probably makes me a little biased

ETA: Desperate Scousewives aka some over made up slappers from Liverpool

vCash
    floskate, it sounds as though the British have their share of "dreck" TV, too.
    No matter, you've given us enough great programs to compensate for that!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    I just finished watching The Real Housewives of Vancouver. I have never watched any of those shows before, but as a local, I admit to being intrigued. I will probably keep watching because I want to check out the wives going to places I can't afford (or perhaps discover places I haven't heard before).
    I hope you didn't catch the "bad plastic surgery" bug that seems to have infected all the women on this show...
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    I sent my British friend a link to My Super-Sweet 16. She responded with a link to My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding.

We called it a draw.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I once watched 5 minutes of the Kardashian show. Don't recall a thing. I want those 5 minutes of my life back though.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I hate pretty much all reality tv outside of a few competition ones like Amazing Race and Survivor. Jersey Shore is by far the worst though. Not only are they glorifying stupid drunk behavior, they get paid an insane amount of money for it. It makes me sick.

vCash
    I have never been a big fan of reality television and stopped watching soaps years ago.

vCash
    Fox News, Jerry Springer.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Prancer thanks for the list. I'll never know why we do versions of perfectly enertaining British shows such as "Touching Evil." The PBS shows or home/garden shows seem to do well although sometimes we see both the British and American versions and that is fine with me.

About British soaps: For a short time our PBS station aired "Emmerdale Farm" before the name change. I loved it but apparently it did not find an audience and it disappeared after several months. I wish we would bring them all over for those of us who think our soaps ridiculous.

vCash
    Dance Moms, Bad Girls Club...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Any 'reality' TV. The talent versions aren't so bad (AI, DWTS, etc), but the rest of it is just forced, pretentious dreck.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast