Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skfan View Post
    http://web.icenetwork.com/events/detail.jsp?id=68371

ice network vids of glacier falls. does mirai's LP look any better from the icenetwork camera angle?
    Yeah, it does. Mirai actually looked faster in the IN vid. I'm still not sold on the program yet but it looks better than last year's LP.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I recommend watching the Junior ladies' programs at Glacier Falls (link to IceNetwork's video page posted above). Karen Chen, Mariah Bell and Polina Edmunds finished 1-2-3 in the Final FS round (Edmunds' had a better FS in her initial round, Group A) and other talented up-and-comers include Selena Zhao, Gwendolyn Prescott, Amanda Gelb, Katia Shpilband, Avery Kurtz, Amber Glenn, Kaitlyn Gaither, etc.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-10-2012 at 11:38 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I recommend watching the Junior ladies' programs at Glacier Falls (link to IceNetwork's video page posted above). Karen Chen, Mariah Bell and Polina Edmunds finished 1-2-3 in the Final FS round (Edmunds' had a better FS in her initial round, Group A) and other talented up-and-comers include Selena Zhao, Gwendolyn Prescott, Amanda Gelb, Katia Shpilband, Avery Kurtz, Amber Glenn, Kaitlyn Gaither, etc.

i've watched the junior ladies from this comp so many times

really happy mariah's imperfect jump in the short was the 2a and not one of the triples. i was hoping from her better score in Jr ladies final that she managed to land all her triples, but alas, not quite. nonetheless, she's getting stronger with each competition! mariah's probably not on the short list for JGP, and i would never root against the other U.S. competitors (after all, wang and keiser are also skaters i love to watch) but i _so_ hope mariah can get a JGP.

polina edmunds indeed has charisma and expressiveness along with the hard jump combos, and karen chen is of course amazing, but after watching the junior ladies at glacier falls i think i have a new appreciation for gwendolyn prescott and katia shpilband.

among the seniors ladies, i was glad for the chance to see sophia adams and carol ann alba, stylish ladies even when the jumps aren't on their side. really sad to miss out on one of sophia's spins, though. and amanda hoffman--always interesting programs, even if this year's programs don't quite rival the seasons of saint-saens for me. wish they could all make it to nationals. another reason why keiser, wang, hicks all must make JGPF! (yeah, yeah, wishful thinking... LOL)

curious about the changes to mariah bell's short program. has that come about because of feedback from USFS?

vCash
    I like Polina Edmunds a lot! She looks strong and confident.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crankyintheAM View Post
    I like Polina Edmunds a lot! She looks strong and confident.
    I agree. She looks great!
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Polina has just so much potential! Her 3f is enormous and that 3f-3t is getting to be a great combo for her! Not only are the jumps impressive but her speed is quite remarkable as well as her step sequences, and further, her spins are unique, fast, flexible, and well centered. Very reminiscent of a young Carolina Kostner. I really hope she gets sent to a JGP this fall because the sky is the limit for this girl if she keeps improving like this!

Karen Chen is also wonderful but so tiny still, will have to check back in a couple years once she's grown a bit and see if she's still so impressive.

Mariah has excellent presentation, but I'm still not sure about her jumps.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Gold's performance at Detroit reminded me of Kira Ivanova at Sarajevo. She landed her jumps but the overall impression wasn't good. It was someone skating through the motion to get from point A to point Z. I know it's early in the season and Gold seems like a hard worker and very determined, but I think musicality and being a natural performer are something you either have it in you or you don't. It looks forced when a skater attempt to show personality that just isn't there - she didn't look convincing gyrating her hips or shaking her shoulders in the SP. It reminded me of Rachael Flatt "showing her personality" in her SP at the Olympics.
    I actually see where you are coming from: Ivanova was actually considered a good jumper for her day (3l, 3t, 3s) who didn't emote too much, but her horrible relationship with the Soviet Fed off-ice really colored who Ivanova was on-ice. While performing, she looked like someone who just didn't want to be there. Also, tiny things like choices in music (Ivanova's dirge-like music vs. Gracie's grander, more peppier numbers) her dirty skates and mismatched earrings put further distance between the two in my mind. Gracie has work to do presentation-wise, but I never got the impression while she skated that she is incredible unhappy a la Ivanova

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Agnes Zawadzki competed her 2 programs two weekends ago at the Colorado Championships club competition (she was the only Senior lady) and my hearsay info is that she had a nice debut of her new SP with a solid triple Lutz. I don't know her scores. Angela Wang was allowed to compete in Junior Ladies as preparation for her upcoming JGP in Lake Placid and reportedly did a clean SP with a 3Lz+3T - she scored 58.59 (SP) and 108.77 (FS), her highest scores of the summer.

ETA my reply to an off-topic subject in the GP Assignments thread in GSD:
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    Nagasu won't have to do Pacific Coast sectional, btw. Just regional which she should be just fine (That regional, the qualifiers are probably Lam, Hicks, Keiser, and Nagasu in any order, and that is only if none gets a bye for doing another event)
    Nagasu competing at Regionals won't take a spot away from a Southwest Pacific Regional Senior lady at Pacific Coast Sectionals because the 5th place finisher at SWP Regionals will be allowed to advance to Sectionals (since Nagasu won't be there).

Leah Keiser has a bye though SWP Regionals because she won Pacific Coast Sectionals last year. Ditto for Yasmin Siraj (New England Regionals) for winning Easterns and Nina Jiang (Southwestern Regionals) for winning Mids.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-12-2012 at 05:07 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Agnes Zawadzki competed her 2 programs two weekends ago at the Colorado Championships club competition (she was the only Senior lady) and my hearsay info is that she had a nice debut of her new SP with a solid triple Lutz. I don't know her scores. Angela Wang was allowed to compete in Junior Ladies as preparation for her upcoming JGP in Lake Placid and reportedly did a clean SP with a 3Lz+3T - she scored 58.59 (SP) and 108.77 (FS), her highest scores of the summer.

ETA my reply to an off-topic subject in the GP Assignments thread in GSD:

Nagasu competing at Regionals won't take a spot away from a Southwest Pacific Regional Senior lady at Pacific Coast Sectionals because the 5th place finisher at SWP Regionals will be allowed to advance to Sectionals (since Nagasu won't be there).

Leah Keiser has a bye though SWP Regionals because she won Pacific Coast Sectionals last year. Ditto for Yasmin Siraj (New England Regionals) for winning Easterns and Nina Jiang (Southwestern Regionals) for winning Mids.

thank you for clarifying re: nagasu's impact on regionals and sectionals.

i'm still unclear about one thing though-- only the winner of sectionals get to skip regionals? what are the other byes for US qualifying season? these are the only byes i had previously heard of: GP/JGP related byes thru regional/sectional, JGPF-qualified skater bye to national, and top 5 last year's nationals don't have to do regionals/sectionals.

if a skater with a bye wants the experience of competing through the regionals /sectionals season but doesn't have a JGP or GP or senior B, does that skater then do club competitions all the way into october, november?

thank you also for updates on agnes and angela-- really glad to hear angela skated well in the colorado championships. i'm curious to know what portion of the music/choreo was omitted to make angela's junior-version programs-- actually for all the skaters who are juniors for JGP but seniors for US nationals. JGP season dovetails nicely after the olympics this year, so we'll soon see

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skfan View Post
    if a skater with a bye wants the experience of competing through the regionals /sectionals season but doesn't have a JGP or GP or senior B, does that skater then do club competitions all the way into october, november?
    A skater who has a bye through regionals thanks to winning senior sectionals the year before would have to compete at sectionals again anyway to have a chance of qualifying for nationals, so that's when she would compete.

The only reason a skater would have a bye through sectionals but no internationals would be if she finished in the top 5 at senior Nationals last year . . . which would make highly unlikely she wouldn't have an international if she wanted one, but there could be an occasional case where that would be true.

There generally aren't any big club competitions with junior and senior events in October and November, because the competitive skaters are focused on regionals. There are a few in late September that could be used as last-minute tune-ups for regionals.

If the top-5 skater with no assignments wants to compete, she would do so during the summer or first week of autumn.

Actually in October and November, the choices would likely be 1) compete at the qualifying competitions anyway, and risk not qualifying, or 2) enter a small club competition that happens to be held at that time, which will probably offer only 6.0 judging and likely no other seniors or maybe one or two who never had a chance at regionals anyway. The latter would no more feedback than a monitoring session or skating the competition program(s) in a club sendoff or other show.

The most likely reason a top-5 skater would be in this position would be she turned down international assignments because of injury but healed faster than expected. So how close she is to being back to top-5 condition would probably determine whether she's better off going through qualifying anyway or just waiting till nationals to compete. The skaters who might finish 4th at regionals or sectionals would prefer her to wait.

vCash
    thank you, gkelly

vCash
    Edmunds better get a JGP.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Well, let's wait and see if Edmunds is even listed as a JGP alternate this coming week for #3 in Linz, Austria...

The currently known Sectional byes to 2013 Nationals for the U.S. ladies are the top 5 at 2012 Nationals - Wagner, Czisny, Zawadzki, Zhang, Gao - plus Nagasu (Cup of China) and Gold (Rostelecom Cup). ETA: If Nagasu and Gold end up competing at their respective Regionals in October, they must place in the top 4 and qualify for Sectionals in order to receive their bye to Nationals.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-13-2012 at 03:02 AM.

vCash
    Well I guess you can make an argument against giving Edmunds an assigment because whilst she's had some incredible performances, she's also had bad ones. Her consistency hasn't been great.

But she seems to have loads of potential and her jump arsenal is very impressive.

So seeing somebody like Baga considered before her is just .

vCash
    thank you Sylvia for the known byes in the ladies field.

you mentioned senior ladies bye, but i'm assuming that also applies to junior ladies? novice ladies?

if say, barbie long, pewter medalist on the junior level at US nationals last year, decides NOT to move up to senior in 2012-2013 season, she has a bye to US nationals at the junior ladies level, right?

vCash
    No, byes only apply to the top 5 finishers in the senior events at Nationals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    No, byes only apply to the top 5 finishers in the senior events at Nationals.
    thank you. all this time i thought skaters only had to re-qualify because they moved up from novice to junior, etc

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Well I guess you can make an argument against giving Edmunds an assigment because whilst she's had some incredible performances, she's also had bad ones. Her consistency hasn't been great.

But she seems to have loads of potential and her jump arsenal is very impressive.

So seeing somebody like Baga considered before her is just .
    What! I love Baga

Either way I want some assignments for the unlucky but beautiful Cesario first.

vCash

Smile

Angela Wang was allowed to compete in Junior Ladies as preparation for her upcoming JGP in Lake Placid and reportedly did a clean SP with a 3Lz+3T - she scored 58.59 (SP) and 108.77 (FS), her highest scores of the summer.

Yay!! Good for Angela!

vCash
    Well, let's wait and see if Edmunds is even listed as a JGP alternate this coming week for #3 in Linz, Austria...

The currently known Sectional byes to 2013 Nationals for the U.S. ladies are the top 5 at 2012 Nationals - Wagner, Czisny, Zawadzki, Zhang, Gao - plus Nagasu (Cup of China) and Gold (Rostelecom Cup). ETA: If Nagasu and Gold end up competing at their respective Regionals in October, they must place in the top 4 and qualify for Sectionals in order to receive their bye to Nationals.
    She isn't.

Hannah Miller and Samantha Cesario are going. Lots of ladies on the substitute list but no Polina.

Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast