Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

vCash
    I don't think we fans should assume that elite skaters aren't working with sports psychologists if they don't happen to mention it in articles, interviews, etc.

Cross-posting from the World Team Trophy event thread in Kiss and Cry...

My impression is that Gold was the top choice to be the 2nd lady after Wagner for some within USFS, but that other ISU top ranked ladies (Nagasu, Flatt, Zhang, Zawadzki, Gao) were all contacted by USFS about their interest/competition readiness.

ETA link to an earlier discussion on this topic here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...t=83189&page=4

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by demetriosj View Post
    Sorry can't jump on the bandwagon. It was rude and dismissive (but not at all surprising) of USFS to pass up senior-level skaters who had wonderful skates at this year's Nationals and blow them off in order to jumpstart Gold.

Unless of course, they all declined, but I can't imagine that happening.
    We don't actually know how the process worked, but I'm sure USFSA asked all of the higher up cohorts first before getting to Gracie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I don't think we fans should assume that elite skaters aren't working with sports psychologists if they don't happen to mention it in articles, interviews, etc.

]
    * also, what is the going rate for a sports psychologist? Maybe some skaters can't afford this luxury?!

vCash
    Also wonderful skate(s) is not exactly what I would call the performances of US Ladies in Seniors, apart from Wagner:

http://www.usfigureskating.org/leade...6/results.html

Zawadzki had a wonderful SP with 3t/3t and a good 3Lz, scoring 66.24 points (1st)
    Alissa popped her 2A in the SP (2nd)
    Ashley had a good SP, no 3/3 though, and no Lutz (3rd)
    Caroline had a UR'd 3/3, and a badly executed 3F (60.18 for 4th)
    Mirai had a flutzy 3lz/2t and a badly executed 3Lp (5th)
    Gao had a 3F/2t and weak elements in general (54.83) 6th
    Vanessa Lam had a flutzy 3lz2t and a weak 3F 7th
    Nina Jiang blew her combo spin and had a weak 3Lz 8th
    Rachael popped her 2a and got negative GOE on her other 2 jump passes (9th)

The only two of those skated that could be called wonderful in the SP would be Agnes & Ashley.

In the LP:
    Ashley 123.96, BV 54.72, with negative GOE on 5 elements, no falls, but a flutz
    Alissa (2nd) 116.86 flawed jump passes, with an edge call on the flip, and a fall on the lutz combo bv 50.71
    Caroline (3rd) 113.01 flutzed and had a poor 3f & no 3/3, everything else good, bv 53.21
    Rachael (4th) 112.27 popped her 3f, did everything else as well as she could. 53.06 bv
    Christina (5th) 111.53 popped her 3S, flutzed, and was weak on her 2A, bv 50.98
    Agnes really bombed. (7th, a lip, and 2 falls)

The only skater who had a strong LP would be Ashley, and even it wasn't "wonderful".

Now let's look at Gracie, who had full press coverage in juniors, so a bit more stress than normal for a junior lady, but admittedly nothing like what the seniors experience.

In the SP, Gracie scored 60.81 30.30 TES 25.83 PCS , and had a 3F3T and a true 3Lz. Where should would suffer WRT to Caroline would be in PCS

In the LP, Gracie scored 118.71 64.92 TES 54.79 PCS
    She had a 3lz3t, 2A3t, 3S2t, 3lp, 3lz, 3F, and a fall on a 2A
    Her BV was 57.81

Now in a senior program, her BV will go up by 2.00, because she has to add a choreographic spiral to it, which would be a bv of 59.81, more than 6 points more than Caroline, and it could be more if she can improve her spins a skosh.

Consequently, Gracie had a lot more "wonderful" performance at Nationals than any of the senior ladies except Ashley, IMO. Also, Alissa got some unearned high scores, IMO. And Gracie gave performances with all the jumps on correct edges, and demonstrated 3 combos that included a 3t on the end. There's a lot of possible upside to Gracie.

So I could see it being Caroline or Gracie, and Caroline has almost surely snared 2 GP spots already by her medal at 4CC's, and it may not benefit her to go to WTT; she may have said no.

At Worlds, Ashley upped her game; base value 57.70, 120.35 in the LP. At 4CCs, 128.34
    At Jr Worlds, Gracie popped her 3Lp, base value drop to 54.84, score 113.85
    At 4CC's Caroline bv 55.41, 117.44

So again, I'd like to ask What Wonderful Performances, other than Ashley, Gracie & Caroline??
    Last edited by DORISPULASKI; 04-07-2012 at 05:32 PM.

vCash
    I wonder if Czisny WASN'T asked, but turned it down b/c she was still reeling from Worlds. Still, wouldn't blame USFS if they just said "screw it" and went down the list.

Regardless, I think this is a good opportunity for Gold. But if it's true that she hasn't trained in a month, I don't expect her to particularly blow the roof off...and I hope that in the event she does have a bad day, she'll be given the benefit of the doubt.

vCash
    It didn't say she hadn't trained, just that she hadn't done full run throughs. And given the senior program is longer, full runthroughs would be key.

Title-less
    vCash
    If Zhang keeps improving the way she has been, she'll be a force next season. And Agnes can totally compete with Gold re: jumping if she gets her consistency back. The two have such similar career paths.

If Courtney Hicks gets her jumps back she can be a force too.

vCash
    All true; Gold could get worse, and others could improve.

Or Gold could improve and others stay the same or get worse.

Or they all could improve, which is what I would love to see.

But:

"If ifs and ands were pots and pans, there'd be no work for tinkers."

The summer competitions will be particularly interesting this coming year.

vCash
    I find Gracie's skating more appealing then Agnes for some reason.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    If Zhang keeps improving the way she has been, she'll be a force next season. And Agnes can totally compete with Gold re: jumping if she gets her consistency back. The two have such similar career paths.

If Courtney Hicks gets her jumps back she can be a force too.
    Is Courtney Hicks training? or still injured?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by demetriosj View Post
    Is Courtney Hicks training? or still injured?
    I've seen two conflicting reports posted on here: one came from crzsk8dad, who said that she was training again, and another came from someone who saw Hannah Miller's mom pre-Nats and asked about Courtney. Mrs. Miller's response was that Courtney was not doing well, IIRC. Hoping for the former and not the latter, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

vCash
    See Courtney Hicks' update thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...t=82446&page=2

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    Well, the other thing that's different between Graice and Agnes is that one of them actually invested in a sports psychologist... Unlike the other one who is in dire need of one.
    having fun stalking skaters behind a keyboard?

vCash
    I find Gracie's skating more appealing then Agnes for some reason.
    Really? That's interesting...

When Zawadzki decides to turn it on and perform, I find her among the best. She just needs to find that consistency which she sorely lacks. That will determine how successful she is in her career.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by martyross View Post
    having fun stalking skaters behind a keyboard?
    Who says I stalk them.... At least I know much less about Morozov and Ando's private lives than some of the other posters here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Really? That's interesting...

When Zawadzki decides to turn it on and perform, I find her among the best. She just needs to find that consistency which she sorely lacks. That will determine how successful she is in her career.
    Same. On the flip side, I also feel like Gracie has the greater amount of long-range potential IF she can become more expressive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    ...On the flip side, I also feel like Gracie has the greater amount of long-range potential IF she can become more expressive.
    That is true too...

However, it's a pretty big IF indeed.

vCash
    IMO the huge difference between Gracie and Agnes THIS season is that Gracie has delivered on every competition, and Agnes has majorly botched every LP she's skated. I agree at this point Agnes has better presentation but Gracie's season has been so much more impressive ,hence she is the one who is being talked up.

vCash
    Ashley Cain recently posted this video of herself skating to "Skyscraper" (Demi Lovato): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRyfUy0YF4A

vCash
    She's a beautiful skater.

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast