Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MiaHoll View Post
    Sasha Cohen's weight was listed as 95 pounds at 5'2" which is extremely underweight. Sasha Cohen does not appear Anorexic to me so I don't believe she is 95 pounds.
    You know, some people really are naturally thin. I know quite a few people in that height range who weigh that much or less, and that's normal for them. Just because someone doesn't weigh a lot doesn't mean they are extremely underweight or anorexic.

And for goodness sake people, can we please get off the bash Flatt train???

There is a whole crop of new skaters coming up for us to discuss here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    You know, some people really are naturally thin. I know quite a few people in that height range who weigh that much or less, and that's normal for them. Just because someone doesn't weigh a lot doesn't mean they are extremely underweight or anorexic.
    We're just talking numbers, though. Not weighing a lot can definitely mean underweight, but underweight doesn't mean anorexic. Plenty of people are underweight with logical, understandable reasons and their doctors know and all (and yes, it is normal for them, but it's statistically abnormal).

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post

And for goodness sake people, can we please get off the bash Flatt train???

There is a whole crop of new skaters coming up for us to discuss here.
    Thank you.

BACK on topic...
    I really like Nina Jiang. If she can get her lutz consistent she will be regular top 8 material at nationals. Keiser has the jumps but her skating is jr still

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I'll be interested to see if and how Leah Keiser's skating development is influenced by her switch to John Nicks as her primary coach in the coming season.

vCash
    The problem is that all the female athletes in figure skating are dealing with an Anorexia culture and also seem to be allowing others to lie about their weight. Back when they used to post the skaters weight Alissa Czisny's profile claimed she was 5'5" and 110 pounds which is an unhealthy BMI. I personally don't believe based on her measurements (32-23-34) she weighs any less than 115. Yuna Kim is listed as 5'4" and 103 pounds which is also extremely underweight. I saw a commercial during the Olympics that claimed she weighed 98 pounds and had the weight of an entire nation on her shoulders. Also, I have read articles where Sasha Cohen's weight was listed as 95 pounds at 5'2" which is extremely underweight. Sasha Cohen does not appear Anorexic to me so I don't believe she is 95 pounds. Being an athlete we all know muscle weighs more than fat so she should in fact be heavier than average but still look really slim. I actually had personal trainers who have all given me goal weights that are extremely low once they find out I am a figure skater. I am just a bit taller than Sasha so I was told I need to weigh 95 pounds. I have been 97lbs and there was no way I had the strength to jump at that weight. I am assuming people are guessing these athletes weight wrong and the athletes are not correcting them. People guess my weight at 103lbs but I am actually 117lbs. I have very similar measurements to Alissa's and get complimented on my "line" all the time. The only way the Anorexia culture in figure skating changes is if the athlete start telling their real weight.
    None of those weights are THAT low. 95 pounds at 5'2" is tiny, but it's not alarmingly thin, I would believe Sasha is that weight. Plus she's sometimes listed as 5'1" so she's probably like 156 cm, not quite 5'2". Sonya Biryukova has said on her formspring that she is 43-44 kg (about 95 pounds) and she is 5'2" as well and doesn't look unhealthy. As for Alissa, she probably is 110 pounds. 5'5" and 115 pounds is thin but a normal weight for a normal thin person, and Alissa is very slight. Someone like Mirai or Caroline probably weigh 115 and Alissa is visibly thinner than either of them, though also a bit taller. Yuna's weight is right, it's listed all over the place that she's 164 cm and 47 kg, or at least was around the time of the Olympics. Mao Asada reportedly weighs 43 kg now (about 94 pounds) at 5'4" - THAT is an alarmingly low weight for her height, but the others are not that shocking. Kiira Korpi weighs 114 at 5'6", for example.

Camera adds weight. Most skaters are technically underweight according to BMI, but aren't in the alarmingly thin category. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a female singles skater who weighs over 120 pounds these days. I know Cynthia was listed as weighing 132 or something, but she's also around 5'7", and I remember thinking she was practically the only skater with a considerably "normal" weight. 90-115 is the typical weight range for skaters I'd say. Staying thin is part of their sport. But anyways, these weights, apart from Mao if she really is 94 pounds (which might not even be right because around the time of the Olympics she was listed as 110), none of these weights are shocking, and none of these women, at least from my eyes, look anorexic or really worryingly thin. Mao the past couple seasons is the exception, and even she is just borderline worrisome, and I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the earthquake and her mother's illness and passing.

Now the pairs girls, that's a different story. Several of them look to be alarmingly underweight and possibly anorexic.

vCash
    I am 5'1 and 95 lbs and I look normal.

vCash
    Skaters also tend to have very small busts. That makes a HUGE difference in weight. If you consider the difference between a C cup and a AA cup that is probably 10 pounds right there. I think it is also important to remember that all the the weight / BMI type charts are built on averages. Elite athletes are not average and tend not to have average builds or metabolisms. Expecting them to fit into what is average, yet perform at a completely non average level is, IMHO, silly.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    @Triple Butz I though that her comment was referring to a skaters overall appearance but I agree with you chubby cheeks have nothing to do with judging. Rachel Flatts problem is the details of her skating (for example, she takes off of the wrong edge sometimes) not her weight.
    I agree that she needs to work on the details, but jump entry edges is not one of them. Rachael has not received an edge violation in many years. She used to flutz, but has had a BO edge entry to the lutz since mid-2009.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    Thank you.

BACK on topic...
    I really like Nina Jiang. If she can get her lutz consistent she will be regular top 8 material at nationals. Keiser has the jumps but her skating is jr still

yes, my dream up and coming skater has angela's flow and elbows and and jumps and nina's attention to details and pointed toes and superior flexibility. and mariah bell's expression and charm, and leah keiser's smile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiCfuvKJE5E

i assume everyone has already seen this? i thought that was very nice. although of course practice and even warm-ups are not real competition jumps. angela landed a nice 3z-3t in warmup at nationals, too...

now, didn't somebody here say angela's team should take a page from the gracie gold book and post angela's jumps on youtube? who's the uploader--is it armin m?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Yes, Armin Mahbanoozadeh uploaded the practice clip video of Angela Wang's 3Lz+3T+3T combo -- it was posted/discussed a few pages back. Link: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...51#post3560251

ETA: I'm happy that Angela received Team C envelope funding for 2012-13 (her 8th place finish in Senior Ladies at Nationals did not guarantee her funding, but her strong 6th place FS very likely helped her case).
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-11-2012 at 06:18 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Yes, Armin Mahbanoozadeh uploaded this video -- it was posted/discussed a few pages back.
    thank you Sylvia. i'll backtrack and see what i missed

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    Thank you.

BACK on topic...
    ITA. I love Nina Jiang and was happy to see her up her technical content and win Midwesterns at the senior level this year after struggling on the junior level last year. Hopefully, we will see her on the JGP this fall, 3f doesn't seem to be one of her stronger jumps, but she usually at least tries it in her FS, and she has landed it a few times in competition at least. Plus she's probably working on it a lot now in preparation for the coming season. I know at her JGP two seasons ago, she tried a 3t-3t in her SP which looked really good but was just a little short on rotation on the second jump. If she can do a SP with 3t-3t and 3lz, that will put her in very good stead at Nationals. Her attention to detail, lines, and musicality are wonderful and unusual for a skater who just turned 15. I also love her look on the ice now that she's grown rather tall and slender, she looks very regal out there.

vCash
    I just noticed from Mirai's twitter that she told a friend that she wanted to skate in Lake Arrowhead (where Arutunian is located I believe)...maybe she'll head over there now? It is closer to Arcadia, but she also said she had no means of transportation up to Lake Arrowhead.

vCash
    I am really, er, surprised when people refer to Joannie Rochette as gorgeous.

Tessa Virtue may be in phenomenal shape but her thighs look enormous in many of her costumes, and I wish someone would take over her styling and dress her in more flattering costumes.

I am a huge Michelle Kwan fan but I found it sad that she stuck around well past her prime and was essentially forced into retirement due to injuries.

I never like Jeff Buttle but I admire him for retiring at the top of his game.

I think Laura Lepisto is very plain looking and I don't understand why some people drool over her looks.

I think Mirai's talent is exaggerated even if I do like her skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    I am really, er, surprised when people refer to Joannie Rochette as gorgeous.

Tessa Virtue may be in phenomenal shape but her thighs look enormous in many of her costumes, and I wish someone would take over her styling and dress her in more flattering costumes.

I am a huge Michelle Kwan fan but I found it sad that she stuck around well past her prime and was essentially forced into retirement due to injuries.

I never like Jeff Buttle but I admire him for retiring at the top of his game.

I think Laura Lepisto is very plain looking and I don't understand why some people drool over her looks.

I think Mirai's talent is exaggerated even if I do like her skating.
    This is a thread about current US Ladies FYI.

vCash
    fenway, did you mean to put your post in the Confessions thread?

vCash
    If the US can get that 3rd spot back in time for the Olympics i would love to see Jiang, Keiser or Wang get that third spot. It would be good to see one of the new kids make it to Sochi besides Gracie if she makes it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    If the US can get that 3rd spot back in time for the Olympics i would love to see Jiang, Keiser or Wang get that third spot. It would be good to see one of the new kids make it to Sochi besides Gracie if she makes it.

if there's a 3rd oly spot odds are 70% that czisny will get it. just think about the past judging patterns at nationals and tell me you can't picture this line of thinking: she's been through so much, she's such a sweetie, and the young uns have many more olympics in their future... so goes the post-hoc rationalization for however many years to come.

i've already conceded that 3rd spot (if it exists) to AC--esp. for 2014 oly, because 2015 worlds spots are dependent on 2014 worlds (2014 world spot = consolation prize for whoever USFS will rob to award 2014 oly spot to AC). the #1 and #2 oly spots have been earmarked for wagner and gold.

i'm still excited about who'll get the pewter medal

vCash
    If Alissa bombs at Nats next year they may decide its time to dump her. That's why Wang, Keiser and Jiang need to have a strong showing at Nationals next year. Of course it's packed at the top with skaters like Mirai, Agnes and Caroline still in contention. Ashley and Gracie are NOT locks for Sochi considering how the US girls are not consistent.

vCash
    Can we take the weight/figure skating discussion to a different thread if it must continue to be discussed? This thread is for news/happenings with U.S. ladies, not rehash about what Scott Hamilton said in 1992 or how "fat" Skater XYZ is.

Thanks.

Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast