Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Hmm...I'm hearing this a lot from people it seems...about the looks thing.

Anyway, I like what I saw at WTT but I still think the hype to reality ratio is a bit off at this point.
    There's a lot of good-looking skaters, but obviously "looks" won't get you far if you can't skate. For sure in the World of fs the reality is that having "looks," talent, great attitude, dedication, an alliterative and metaphorical name, technical ability, and grounded-ness can get you far. OTOH, navigating hype, managing pressure, developing artistry and consistency, feeling and expressing the fire within while maintaining perfect technique ain't all that easy -- those who can do all this might be able to reach the podium on a regular basis. Not sayin' Gracie has all the goods, particularly not yet, but lots of fans apparently can't wait to see her live up to her moniker.

vCash
    "Five favorite things with Ashley Wagner": http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I have seen Gracie live a couple of times (One being this year's nationals) and she is quite impressive. I really think she will live up to the hype, but it's still early. She has a women's body (I was standing right next to her) and a fierce determination and competitive spirit. I have seen Agnes numerous times and I don't get the same fierceness from her that I get from Ashley Wagner or Gold.

vCash
    Agnes Zawadzki returned to her old hometown of Chicago this past weekend to perform in a local ice show, and here's a short article about her that includes a quote from her Chicago-based coach, David Santee: http://parkridge.suntimes.com/news/1...ark-ridge.html
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Reposting this from the thread in GSD for those who may be interested in coming.

Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    Gracie Gold will be performing two numbers at the Coon Rapids (Minnesota) Ice Center's annual Ice Fantasy Show. Coon Rapids is located about 15-20 miles northwest of Minneapolis/St. Paul.

The show dates are Friday 4/27 (7:00 pm), Saturday 4/28 (6:30 pm) and Sunday 4/29 (2:00 pm). Gracie is only skating in the Saturday and Sunday shows.

Tickets are $6 for adults, $4 for students & seniors (55+), and free for kids 4 and under.

More information will (probably) be added to their web site: http://coonrapidsicecenter.com/.
    Please note that tickets for the Saturday & Sunday shows are now $8 for adults and $6 for students.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Agnes Zawadzki returned to her old hometown of Chicago this past weekend to perform in a local ice show, and here's a short article about her that includes a quote from her Chicago-based coach, David Santee: http://parkridge.suntimes.com/news/1...ark-ridge.html
    Was she ever coached by Alex Ourishev? I seem to remember that she was for a time?

vCash
    I don't believe Agnes Zawadzki was ever coached by Ouriashev. Zawadzki's USFS/Icenetwork bio says she "Trained in Chicago under David Santee until 2008, when she moved to Colorado Springs to be coached by Tom Zakrajsek..."

ETA: I just came across 2 off-ice photos of an 11-year-old Gracie Gold at 2007 US "Junior" Nationals (December 2006) when she was a Juvenile pair skater (she placed 8th with Sean Hickey): http://www.usfsa.org/event_related_d...stagepics5.htm
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-26-2012 at 02:03 AM.

vCash
    I think that Haley Dunne also has a lot of technical ability and she is really working on her artistry! She is going to be a force if she can get a triple triple done really well. Her air position is almost perfect!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UDelpairs2012 View Post
    I think that Haley Dunne also has a lot of technical ability and she is really working on her artistry! She is going to be a force if she can get a triple triple done really well. Her air position is almost perfect!
    While she's certainly a talented skater (I liked her and Forte the best of the non-contenders), I didn't exactly get the impression that she's going to set the skating world on fire. At least not on the level of Gracie Gold or even Agnes Zawadzki.

vCash
    Regardless, it's nice for Dunne to mentioned in this general U.S. Ladies thread.

BTW, Ashley Cain tweeted on April 25 that she visited the University of Delaware and mentioned seeing Haley Dunne and other UD skaters.

Title-less
    vCash
    I wish Dunne and Sophia Adams would get a chancw to compete at an ISU event
    On a good day they compare favorably with their rivals at nationals
    I'd be curious how they would fare abroad.

vCash
    I know she will get an assignment, but I like Polina Edmunds. She is very young and looks like she will grow, but her short program at Nationals was quite impressive this year. I think David Glynn has done a good job with her thus far.

vCash
    it would be nice if dunne, sophia adams and aimee buchanan get more opportunities. yes, i know aimee wouldn't even be at nationals if cesario didn't withdraw, but she skated and she delighted me with her charm. anyway, the world needs more beautiful layback spins

vCash
    While she's certainly a talented skater (I liked her and Forte the best of the non-contenders), I didn't exactly get the impression that she's going to set the skating world on fire. At least not on the level of Gracie Gold or even Agnes Zawadzki.
    How do you know? Why can't she have a break-through season? Last year at this time there was no Gracie G buzz. Things can change.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by demetriosj View Post
    How do you know? Why can't she have a break-through season? Last year at this time there was no Gracie G buzz. Things can change.
    I'm not saying she CAN'T...just that if she was going to make noise, from a statistical standpoint it's likely it would have happened by now. But in general I agree that things change, stranger things have happened and we can't know for sure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carriemarie View Post
    I know she will get an assignment, but I like Polina Edmunds. She is very young and looks like she will grow, but her short program at Nationals was quite impressive this year. I think David Glynn has done a good job with her thus far.
    I agree that Polina is very talented, but her 6th place finish in Junior at Nationals doesn't guarantee her a JGP assignment. I counted 17 JGP age-eligible ladies listed in the ISP (only 3 of whom finished behind her at Nationals) -- see: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...14#post3556714

vCash
    I'm not saying she CAN'T...just that if she was going to make noise, from a statistical standpoint it's likely it would have happened by now. But in general I agree that things change, stranger things have happened and we can't know for sure.
    How do you figure that? Alissa was 21 when she won her first title. Nancy Kerrigan was 23. Skaters peak at different times and ages.

vCash
    It should be noted that Alissa won her first medal at Nationals in 2001 (Junior silver) when she was 13 and started competing internationally then, too (Junior gold at Triglav Trophy in April 2001).

vCash
    But Czisny is the exception...when you look at the top American skaters- Kwan, Lipinski, Hughes, Cohen, Meissner, Flatt, Zhang, Nagasu, even Wagner- from their debut, they made their mark on the national scene. (It remains to be seen if Gold will follow the same route, but assuming she remains healthy it's highly likely.) For Czisny, it took a few seasons- 2007 was her breakout year nationally, although from 2005 you could see the talent present.

vCash
    But Czisny is the exception...when you look at the top American skaters- Kwan, Lipinski, Hughes, Cohen, Meissner, Flatt, Zhang, Nagasu, even Wagner- from their debut, they made their mark on the national scene. (It remains to be seen if Gold will follow the same route, but assuming she remains healthy it's highly likely.) For Czisny, it took a few seasons- 2007 was her breakout year nationally, although from 2005 you could see the talent present.
    I think Gold will be very special. She has jumping technic like nothing I have ever seen before. She is someone to watch going forward, as I think she will out shine the rest that you mention.

Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast