Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    In the mountains, where hippies and hillbillies collide!
    vCash
    I'm so happy to hear she is staying, I don't want her to go at all, she's just improving and improving. I really appreciate her musicality and joy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by apatinar View Post
    Just saying that 29 is awfully old to compete in the Olympics.. Butyrskaya wasn't too successful.
    Maria finished 6th in 2002 which would still be higher than Akiko's prior 8th place finish at the Olympics. Maybe Akiko is just in it because she enjoys skating (awfully hard to believe whenever you see her compete, but do try and suspend disbelief ). Ever since her come back, she's always come across as very grateful to have an opportunity to compete and perform. It's pretty clear this is more about a personal victory to her than 'just' winning a medal at the end of the day. And I for one am more than willing to come along on the journey. Especially since she's been steadily improving and adding harder skills as she goes along

vCash
    her joy is just so infectious.
    love all her programmes ... west side story, fiddler on the roof, johann strauss ....
    and her triple-triple this season has been amazing!
    whatever happens from now on, akiko will always be a world medallist!!!

vCash
    I'm happy to hear she's staying around! Age is just a number especially when you're firing on all cylinders. Other skaters had to hang up their skaters earlier due to injury or just a lack of motivation, but if you love to skate and it's in your heart you should continue to compete...especially if you're winning medals. It's not like Fumie Suguri (bless her heart) who competed a long time but got nowhere near the podium...Akiko has medaled in all of her events this year.

I don't know how long she'll stay on top with the younger girls coming in but at least she's continuing to improve by upping her technical content. Plus, none of those girls can touch her in the performance category. She is the BEST performer of all of the top ladies. Akiko just radiates joy and happiness when she skates. Her programs are well-choreographed and complex and she performs them beautifully. I just adore her...

I'm so proud of her for the season she's had and I can't wait to see what she comes up with next season!

vCash
    As much as I love her happy and joyful programs - I really want her to go for a tango again.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1gDGozML94
    This was the very first program I saw of her and I really thought that other skater-tangos, especially from women, were really weak compared to this.

Totally happy of course that she wants to stay.

vCash
    ^^YES!

This was the program that made me fall in love with her. The choreography, the music, and the performance are simply outstanding. I'd love to see this as an SP...

In the mountains, where hippies and hillbillies collide!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gil-Galad View Post
    As much as I love her happy and joyful programs - I really want her to go for a tango again.
    This was the very first program I saw of her and I really thought that other skater-tangos, especially from women, were really weak compared to this.

Damn that was great!!! I'd love to see her mix in more drama as well. I love the joyful just as much, one program of each would be amazing

vCash
    I absolutely love Suzuki, but she is 27 now...staying in until Sochi? Will there also be arthritis medication in the future as well?
    With Akiko taking a break from high-level skating for a few years when she was battling her eating disorder, her body is probably less beat up than the average 27-year-old skater.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aidan View Post
    With Akiko taking a break from high-level skating for a few years when she was battling her eating disorder, her body is probably less beat up than the average 27-year-old skater.
    ITA. She may flutz, but she got complete arrays of triples and got good decent technique on jumps; compare to Mao, whos body probably starting to beat up by doing the 3A constantly. Plus she got great spins and footworks that serve her well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderlen View Post
    ITA. She may flutz, but she got complete arrays of triples and got good decent technique on jumps; compare to Mao, whos body probably starting to beat up by doing the 3A constantly. Plus she got great spins and footworks that serve her well.
    I actually think that her spins could use some improvement, they are pretty average.

She is not a classical flutzer, I think her edge is simply unsteady (she has been called for Lips and Flutzes), it looked good at Worlds though, that first (gorgeous) Lutz in the long was clearly on an outside edge.

I love her jumps overall. They are neat and pretty, nothing breathtakingly high, but really steady good jumps. With a great landing position and good ride-out on the toejumps.

vCash

I remember watching that program for the first time and going
    Every other lady should be be banned from skating to tango.

vCash
    I love her jumps overall. They are neat and pretty, nothing breathtakingly high, but really steady good jumps. With a great landing position and good ride-out on the toejumps.
    ITA. She carries good speed, gets good coverage and is very steady. She could improve her spins but they are adequate.

What I LOVE is how she holds her landings...not enough skaters do that. Checking the jump and holding that position for about two counts should be worth +1 in GOE because it shows that the skater is in complete control of the landing.

Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    I remember watching that program for the first time and going
    Every other lady should be be banned from skating to tango.
    I know! I actually find myself judging a lot of the tangos against that one...none has matched it yet. Yu-Na's Tango de Roxanne comes close, but she was young and not as polished as she was the following year. I'd love to see her skate that program now though...

vCash

Nice!!! I love her dress--sexy (but not slutty) and contemporary and different.

Glad to hear she is staying in. And she's gotta have one of the best comeback stories ever--anorexia is NOT easy to shake, especially in an appearance-conscious sport like figure skating.

vCash
    I absolutely love Suzuki, but she is 27 now...staying in until Sochi? Will there also be arthritis medication in the future as well?
    Yes I think that is really pushing it!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    It's not like Fumie Suguri (bless her heart) who competed a long time but got nowhere near the podium

????? Fumie has medaled at Worlds 3 times, won the Grand Prix Final once, won 4CC 4 times, came in 5th and 4th at the Olympics, and won numerous Japan Nationals. I'd say she came near the podium.

Off my rant now, I'm glad Akiko is sticking around. She's a delight.

vCash

The Libertango EX, which was choreographed by Kenji Miyamono, was also Takahahi's idea.

He looks so happy to see her winning Bronze.
    http://youtu.be/q4n_c9038Uo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12