View Poll Results: Who should get the World Team Trophy spots?

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jeremy Abbott

    118 77.12%
  • Adam Rippon

    48 31.37%
  • Ross Miner

    70 45.75%
  • Josh Farris

    25 16.34%
  • Jason Brown

    15 9.80%
  • Armin Mahbanoozadeh

    12 7.84%
  • Ricky Dornbush

    3 1.96%
  • Keegan Messing

    3 1.96%
  • Brandon Mroz

    2 1.31%
  • Max Aaron

    1 0.65%
  • Grant Hochstein

    1 0.65%
  • Stephen Carriere

    2 1.31%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 54 of 54
  1. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Primorskaya View Post
    I get the most overwhelming sense of déjà vu from this post, like you've expressed the same feeling over and over again, in every thread going, roughly a hundred times in the past few weeks. Oh wait, that's because you have!
    Hmm well I will say this. I rewatched Nationals, and Adam did land his 3a cleanly in the SP. It wasn't a large or beautiful 3a by any stretch of the imagination, but it was clean. So maybe the lead over Ross in the SP was okay...but Ross was still better in the FS. But in any event, I guess Adam just got really lucky in that his one clean 3a of the season was landed at Nationals!

    It's okay, Boss Miner can wait til next season to plow past Rippon in the standings. He can be the next Lysacek and win medals even if his skating isn't the most interesting. His jumps are huge!

  2. #42

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,575
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42893
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Hmm well I will say this. I rewatched Nationals, and Adam did land his 3a cleanly in the SP. It wasn't a large or beautiful 3a by any stretch of the imagination, but it was clean. So maybe the lead over Ross in the SP was okay...but Ross was still better in the FS. But in any event, I guess Adam just got really lucky in that his one clean 3a of the season was landed at Nationals!
    Rippon landed both 3A in his TEB FS and in his Nationals FS (eta: 1st one wasn't pretty but he got credit for the rotation with negative GOE). Miner's only significant mistake in his Nationals FS was falling on his second 3A.

    Both guys were supportive of each other at 4 Continents... too bad Miner wasn't able to teach Rippon how to golf there, but hopefully he'll get the chance to do so in the future!
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-08-2012 at 09:47 PM. Reason: to add TEB 3A and 4CC golf info

  3. #43
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Rippon landed both 3A in his TEB FS and in his Nationals FS (eta: 1st one wasn't pretty but he got credit for the rotation with negative GOE). Miner's only significant mistake in his Nationals FS was falling on his second 3A.

    Both guys were supportive of each other at 4 Continents... too bad Miner wasn't able to teach Rippon how to golf there, but hopefully he'll get the chance to do so in the future!
    Yes but I meant that in the SP the 3a didn't garner -GOE, the 3a he did in his FS at TEB and Nats weren't clean like the one in his SP, they got -GOE. The -GOE is what really kills him on that jump.

  4. #44

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,575
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42893
    According to the protocols, Rippon received 0 GOE average for both his 3A in his 2011 TEB FS and +1.43 GOE on his 2nd 3A in his Nationals FS.

    I'm not disputing that - GOE has plagued him this season on the 3A, just the part of your post about Rippon's "one clean 3a of the season."

  5. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,208
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Miner has been undermarked and underrated in the U.S I feel. However I think part of it as they dont see the potential in him to ever be a World medalist like they do with older skaters like Abbott, Evan possibly if he returns, or future potential like younger skaters such as Dornbush and even Rippon still to some extent.

  6. #46
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Miner has been undermarked and underrated in the U.S I feel. However I think part of it as they dont see the potential in him to ever be a World medalist like they do with older skaters like Abbott, Evan possibly if he returns, or future potential like younger skaters such as Dornbush and even Rippon still to some extent.
    Ross is more likely to win medals than Rippon or Dornbush IMO because he has the combination of good technique and consistency which neither of those two have. Evan was never the most interesting skater with the biggest or best jumps either, but he was one hell of a competitor and was able to WIN. The same could be true of Ross a few year's down the line. I have more faith in him than Adam. I like Ricky a lot too, but I fear about his becoming a headcase after what went down this season. Farris is probably my favorite at this point, but he's still so young that it will probably take a few more years to establish himself on the senior ranks, unless he has a big breakthrough early on like Hanyu, Gatchinski, and Song all did.

  7. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    633
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Ross may have more of a chance to win a world medal than either Rippon or Dornbush, but that is not saying much. Without a reliable good looking triple axel and a quad, Rippon won't do it and Dornbush is a Mroz flash in the pan.. Ross can land the jumps, but he skates like a robot with his arms and hands extended in a stiff- non fluid motion.. That won't get him on the world podium with all of the great artist/jumpers out there.. the most Ross will ever do at worlds is about 5th and that is generous..

  8. #48

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,084
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by apatinar View Post
    Ross may have more of a chance to win a world medal than either Rippon or Dornbush, but that is not saying much. Without a reliable good looking triple axel and a quad, Rippon won't do it and Dornbush is a Mroz flash in the pan.. Ross can land the jumps, but he skates like a robot with his arms and hands extended in a stiff- non fluid motion.. That won't get him on the world podium with all of the great artist/jumpers out there.. the most Ross will ever do at worlds is about 5th and that is generous..
    Ross is young and very hard working. He will certainly improve. I wouldn't write him off yet.
    Last edited by toddlj; 04-10-2012 at 01:57 AM. Reason: removing my snark

  9. #49
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by apatinar View Post
    Ross may have more of a chance to win a world medal than either Rippon or Dornbush, but that is not saying much. Without a reliable good looking triple axel and a quad, Rippon won't do it and Dornbush is a Mroz flash in the pan.. Ross can land the jumps, but he skates like a robot with his arms and hands extended in a stiff- non fluid motion.. That won't get him on the world podium with all of the great artist/jumpers out there.. the most Ross will ever do at worlds is about 5th and that is generous..
    I'm not so sure. Ross is only 21 and already has improved a lot, I wouldn't be surprised if we see quads from him next season as well as continued improvement. Also I'm not sure about Ricky being a flash in the pan, this was only his first full senior season for goodness sakes! His posture is bad but everything else he does is good. I think he will come back strong next season. Assuming Farris and Brown move up to the GP, it will be interesting to see how the US men on the GP stack up next to each other, especially if Ricky gets his mojo back, Armin continues to improve under Christy Krall, and Ross, Josh start trying quads and Jason the 3a.

  10. #50
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,208
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I am no Evan fan but at his best he is a far stronger all around skater than what Miner is now. Also the mens field was super weak in 2009-2010 with all the injuries, retirements, inconstency, and shaky comeback tries. The level of skating Evan had at his best will probably max out at 4th or 5th in the World at best in future years. The Evan of Vancouver sure as heck wouldnt be coming within sniffing distance of Chan and thus the gold medal today, and he wouldnt even be on the podium if the skating is like it was in the LPS of the two last 2 Worlds, especialy this years.

    I like Miner alot and hope he can improve ALOT in the coming few years (and boy he will have to improve a heck of alot to be on the podium at Worlds amongst the current crop). Regardless of if he has medal potential or not though, I do wish he would be scored more fairly at Nationals.
    Last edited by judgejudy27; 04-10-2012 at 04:46 AM.

  11. #51
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    11,176
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Just between Miner, Rippon and Dornbush, my impression of watching them at Nationals and internationals for 2 seasons now is that Dornbush is the only one who skates big. bet that matters.

  12. #52
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Just between Miner, Rippon and Dornbush, my impression of watching them at Nationals and internationals for 2 seasons now is that Dornbush is the only one who skates big. bet that matters.
    Dornbush skates big and I love his musicality and animation, but 2 things he needs to work on.

    1.) posture.

    2.) jump height.

    Ricky has bad posture which is distracting and he jumps around instead of up. He has very quick rotation on his jumps I just wish they went UP a little more. But, these things are easy enough to fix with hard work, and I do agree that in all other areas he is stronger than Rippon and Miner (well except for competitive nerves/consistency - Miner takes the cake on that one).

    I think Aaron, Farris, and Brown if he can get a 3a (and hopefully quad as well) potentially could go farther than those 3 though, they seem to be more well-rounded and have more "it". Idk.

  13. #53
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    11,176
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I think Aaron, Farris, and Brown if he can get a 3a (and hopefully quad as well) potentially could go farther than those 3 though, they seem to be more well-rounded and have more "it". Idk.
    I love Farris.

    I love Brown too but we have seen so many times when skaters focus on just 1 jump they kind of lose everything else. Rippon and Asada are good examples of this. So I will wait and see on him.

  14. #54
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I love Farris too and am excited to see him trying quads in competition next season. His jumping style is so nice and the 4t he tried at nationals looked pretty close, closer than Rippon's quad attempts anyways. I can't imagine how stunning his Claire De Lune SP would be with a 4t-3t as the combo... . Well he probably gets a new SP next season anyways, but hopefully that will be just as lovely.

    And you are right about Jason, hopefully he will get the 3a and continue to progress, but for now, I'm not getting my hopes up for him just yet.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •