Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Banned Member
    vCash

Injured

Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Everyone who works with Rafael ends up seriously injured. May be coincidence.
    Interesting, I was about to say that's the common thought about Gracie's coach Alex V. Every one eventually gets hurt with this guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    I would be surprised if some big name now went to him to replace Mirai.
    What would be surprising? Relocation is common, right? Would it be the distance from major cities or relatively small (pure speculation) training facility?

vCash
    I am sure Ashley Wagner would have wanted to go to Frank last summer, but he was not going to take one of Mirai's rival.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Ashley is fine where she is.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    I doubt it.

Why? It was pretty clear that Frank & Mirai just weren't communicating well last season. While Frank is a great coach, his tough love approach just never seemed to work well for her.
    I completely agree. I would love to see her with Jason or Yuka.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Ashley is fine where she is.
    Amen to that. Nicks has been a god send for Ashley. Just what she needed. She's only gonna improve and get better. Now all we need is Camerlango to CH for her.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    Kinda reminiscent of Rachel Flatt--going away to college and leaving their long-time coach to work with a series of different coaches at different rinks.
    That's exactly what I thought, going from one main coach to a bunch might be an iffy move, but I'm hoping for the best for Mirai, maybe this is the change she needs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    Is Gracie Gold packing her bags?
    This!!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    I thought Mirai was starting school at University of California-Irvine next Fall.
    She has been admitted. I don't know whether she has stated publicly (1) that Irvine is her first choice, (2) that she is in fact going to enroll next term, (3) whether she is going to have a full course load, or (4) whether she would be living on campus if she does enroll there.

I will say that pursuing a full-time course load in Irvine and training in Cathedral City (two hours away in good traffic) would have made what Rachael Flatt has been doing this season look like child's play.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I hope she is not considering school. She can always go to school but she cannot always skate. It's fine to take a course online or something, for diversion and to take her mind off things but I really hope she is not planning to waste her talent and her good skating years like this.

Kwan and Cohen did all they could in their careers and went on to obtain an education. Yes, they did it (in the process of doing it) a bit later than most but are still very successful. They knew college will always be there for them and they were right. I am a huge proponent of education but that's for us, mere mortals. Mirai is too big of a talent.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I read or heard somewhere that Frank wanted Mirai to move closer to his new rink, but her parents wouldn't hear of it. I hope Mirai finds a way to continue.

vCash
    how many are surprised ?
    I sure wasn't

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Someone is, or will be, packing their bags to work with Frank soon. He's still a catch!
    Isn't he still working with Leah Keiser? I seem to recall she made the commute to Palm Springs in between working with Carla Fassi as well.

I'm not sure what to think about Mirai's current situation.

vCash
    I really wonder why she never moved with him. She is old enough to live on her own and it might have made her grow up faster. It would be sad if her parents were the reason and stood in her way. IMO parents are supposed to give you a push to live on your own rather than keep you sheltered once you have reached adult age. And in Mirai's case who is very young for her age even more so than for others.
    But if her parents are the obstacle, a new good coach will be hard to come by. It doesn't seem like there just happens to be one around the corner.

I love love love Mirai when she is on and hope we haven't heard the last of her. Maybe Caroline Zhang's recent success will lit something in her and let her show it isn't too late.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
    I really wonder why she never moved with him. She is old enough to live on her own and it might have made her grow up faster. It would be sad if her parents were the reason and stood in her way. IMO parents are supposed to give you a push to live on your own rather than keep you sheltered once you have reached adult age. And in Mirai's case who is very young for her age even more so than for others.
    But if her parents are the obstacle, a new good coach will be hard to come by. It doesn't seem like there just happens to be one around the corner.

I love love love Mirai when she is on and hope we haven't heard the last of her. Maybe Caroline Zhang's recent success will lit something in her and let her show it isn't too late.
    I have no idea why she didn't move with him, however, by all accounts, I don't think she comes from a particularly wealthy family, so perhaps finances might have had something to do with it? I don't know; probably shouldn't even be making speculations about it.

vCash
    I have been expecting this, so it was no surprise at all. Now I hope very much that Evan will find himself a place (near Frank´s rink) where to stay for the duration he is going to stay eligible!!! That is if he is serious about the comeback and really wants results.

vCash
    How about Nagasu and Arutunian?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ponta1 View Post
    I have no idea why she didn't move with him, however, by all accounts, I don't think she comes from a particularly wealthy family, so perhaps finances might have had something to do with it? I don't know; probably shouldn't even be making speculations about it.
    Supposedly Frank found a family in Palm Springs for Mirai to live with for free, but Mirai's mom said no. So finances weren't the issue iirc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by arakwafan2006 View Post
    DAMN!!! Does she really need THAT MANY coaches?
    Look at the bright side: if Nagasu hits, they'll be celebrating together; if she doesn't, they can always point fingers.

-- I was wondering: how many of those big coaches actually brought up kids, and not just packed them up once they had already more or less reached their top technical abilities?

I'll start naming Mishin. Can you guys keep the list going?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loulou View Post
    I was wondering: how many of those big coaches actually brought up kids, and not just packed them up once they had already more or less reached their top technical abilities?

I'll start naming Mishin. Can you guys keep the list going?
    Does Mishin work with kids at a very early stage?

Carolina Kostner has been with Michael Huth since she was 14 or so - excepting the ill-advised detour to Carroll in the 2009-10 season, which shows he's not necessarily right for everyone (so Gracie Gold can stay where she is).

Florent Amodio, Brian Joubert and Irina Slutskaya stuck with their childhood coaches well into their senior career - actually, I think Irina never left, Joubert left Guyon only to return later on, and Amodio still works part-time with his first coach. IIRC, Tom Z was pretty much Ryan Bradley's only coach. And wasn't Michelle Kwan quite young when she went to Carroll?

How long has Hanyu been with his coach?

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast