Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    All but Sandhu are from the Vancouver area. Skating is an extremely expensive sport. It's easy to tell skaters to move and switch coaches, but sometimes there are personal factors that fans are not privy to.

Granted, they could switch to other folks in the Vancouver area. But in terms of singles, McLeod is easily the biggest "name."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    ..Granted, they could switch to other folks in the Vancouver area. But in terms of singles, McLeod is easily the biggest "name."
    Both Connaught and Coquitlam have great programs. Keegan Murphy at Connaught coaches the reigning Jr. Men's champion Mitchell Gordon, and there are a number of senior men in Coquitlam including, I think, Bela Papp. Liam Firus trains with Lorna Bauer at the Vancouver Skating Club, but I don't think there are many, if any, other competitive skaters there. Anyway, there are options in the Vancouver area. But these are adults who need to decide if they really want a shot at the big time. If they do, they may need to take on the inconvenience of a move. Heck, Ashely Wagner moved all the way across the US for a coaching change - seemed to work for her!
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    that picture of Kevin
    For a moment he looked armless
    Me 2.

vCash
    Kevin did do two quads in his FS: 4S to start (and it was not UR), and later in the program he did a 4T+2T. But he doubled his solo 4T attempt, URd his one 3A (he doubled the axel in the combo) and URd the 3T in his 3S combo.

He URd the 4S in the SP, but completely rotated the 3A.

His main technical problem seems to be URs. If his coach is in denial about the URs, then he definitely needs a coaching change.

At least he got a haircut!

vCash
    To be honest I think he has already maximized his potential. He has an impressive ability to spin quickly which allows him to do some hard jumps, but even his jumps are small and with not very good technique. He will never be a great artist or basic skater no matter how much work he does, or who he is coached by. He isnt a great natural talent, except for his quick spin ability in the air.

vCash
    I think it is essential that Kevin continue to have Shae Lynn do his choreography. She has tapped into his musicality and temperament, and can give him routines that he can express and enjoy.
    Moving to Brian O will put him in with David Wilson. Much as I admire DW, I don't think he is the right choreographer for Kevin. And to be honest, Brian's skaters didn't do as well as I expected this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    To be honest I think he has already maximized his potential. He has an impressive ability to spin quickly which allows him to do some hard jumps, but even his jumps are small and with not very good technique. He will never be a great artist or basic skater no matter how much work he does, or who he is coached by. He isnt a great natural talent, except for his quick spin ability in the air.
    agreed.. that Tim Goebel , narrow hipped body type is just not cutting it anymore with this new system.. Let's face it- some natural body types are just not suited for the higher levels of skating to make it look aesthetically pleasing.. i.e. Rachel Flatt..

vCash
    Per his FB, Kevin will be going to the World Team Trophy in Tokyo.
    Looking forward to it!

As far as the coach situation, I don't know how feasible, financial wise, it would be but it would be interesting to see him go to Brian Orser. I'd like to see how much he could improve with that coaching team. (I know Javi considers Tracy Wilson, DW,etc. part of his coaching team so I figure it would be the same for all of Orser's students.)

How far away is Toronto from Vancouver?

Now, on the matter of actually convincing him to leave McLeod.....Frustrating!

vCash
    Amazing that Canada has three spots for Worlds next year when their second best skater finishes 12th at Worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    His main technical problem seems to be URs. If his coach is in denial about the URs, then he definitely needs a coaching change.
    His main technical problem is his jumping technique being .

<s are just a symptom of it.

Whilst it's unrealistic to expect him to have Plushenko-quality jumps, it is realistic to expect some improvement on his technique.

Has there been any over the last few years? I haven't noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Amazing that Canada has three spots for Worlds next year when their second best skater finishes 12th at Worlds.
    It's how the system has worked for years now.

1+12 = 13, there's nothing amazing about it.

vCash
    I'm just saying that Canada is lucky they have Chan or they might be like the Canadian Ladies and only have one spot because it doesn't seem like they have much depth beyond Patrick either.
    Last edited by Jammers; 04-05-2012 at 02:26 PM.

vCash
    I'm just saying that Canada is lucky they have Chan or they might be like the Canadian Ladies and only have one spot because it doesn't seem like they have much depth beyond Patrick.
    12th in the world with this year's senior men is nothing to sneeze at. Some big names didn't do as well.

vCash
    I'm just saying that Canada is lucky they have Chan or they might be like the Canadian Ladies and only have one spot because it doesn't seem like they have much depth beyond Patrick.
    12th in the world with this year's senior men is nothing to sneeze at. Not naming names here, but some big names didn't do as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aemeraldrainc View Post
    Per his FB, Kevin will be going to the World Team Trophy in Tokyo.
    Looking forward to it!

As far as the coach situation, I don't know how feasible, financial wise, it would be but it would be interesting to see him go to Brian Orser. I'd like to see how much he could improve with that coaching team. (I know Javi considers Tracy Wilson, DW,etc. part of his coaching team so I figure it would be the same for all of Orser's students.)

How far away is Toronto from Vancouver?

Now, on the matter of actually convincing him to leave McLeod.....Frustrating!
    Toronto is 4.5 hours by plane, not close enough to commute
    Joanne always seems second rate to me, like she is pretending to be something she is not, I am not sure if Kevin would actually be any better with another coach, similar to Mira .... Ut I guess it would not hurt to try!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriajh View Post
    Toronto is 4.5 hours by plane, not close enough to commute
    Joanne always seems second rate to me, like she is pretending to be something she is not, I am not sure if Kevin would actually be any better with another coach, similar to Mira .... Ut I guess it would not hurt to try!

Yeah, I guess he would have to make a huge,complete move from Vancouver to Toronto.
    You never know when changing coaches,I guess. But when you look at the improvements other skaters have made by changing their environment,it makes you wonder what could be. Oh,well. I think it would take a miracle for Kevin to actually leave McLeod. Very frustrating. Wish somebody close enough to the situation would sit him down and tell him how it is.
    Heh,cause who are we in the end? Just strangers on the Internet speculating 'cause we want him to do better,w/o knowing everything and everyone involved...We mean well,but who knows?

vCash
    http://youtu.be/q08ALaPuRPU

Kevin's new short program.

Free Kevin!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aemeraldrainc View Post
    http://youtu.be/q08ALaPuRPU

Kevin's new short program.

Free Kevin!!
    He's using the same SP as last season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fsfan22 View Post
    He's using the same SP as last season.
    My bad. I thought I had read he had new music for both short and long programs. I should have checked.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    You must be new. Welcome to figure skating! And congrats to Kevin for playing his part in getting three men back to Worlds!

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    She doesn't seem very nice from what very little info we get, to be honest.
    Has "info" now been accepted as a synonym for "gossip"?

Quote Originally Posted by apatinar View Post
    Let's face it- some natural body types are just not suited for the higher levels of skating to make it look aesthetically pleasing.. i.e. Rachel Flatt..
    I also find the sport less enjoyable when FATASSES are forced into my view. Now if we can just find a way to kick those with big noses out of the sport...

/sarcasm
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Has "info" now been accepted as a synonym for "gossip"?
    In this case, it's not gossip.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast