Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Kevin I always have enjoyed watching you skate, thank you and good bye - what an amazing way to finish your career, it was great seeing you live in Nice

Just me
    vCash
    I fell a little bit in love with Kevin the first time I saw him skate his Robin Hood program in person. Over the years, I came to learn he was never going to be one of the "greats," but I was always glad to see him skate.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    I'll miss KVDP a lot. Among many highlights, I'll never forget this Skate Canada 2007 LP to Lawrence of Arabia, wearing a super-bright white-and-gold outfit.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

being infected by Radionova's obvious joy for skating
    vCash
    That was a really good, honest and interesting interview!
    Rockin' Finnish commentator: "And that was supposed to be a flip but it turned out to be a flop."

Prick Admin
    vCash
    I found this bit to be particularly charming and classy.

Also, a major change has been the arrival of Asian skaters. When we started, we were making fun of them. At the 2003 worlds in Washington D.C., no Japanese skater could jump triples -- besides [Takeshi] Honda.
    Not.

Guess he must have forgotten the part where he was beaten for the World Junior title by a, wait for it, Japanese skater by the name of Daisuke Takahashi.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    That was a fantastic interview. I love that he was aware of his limitations and just tried to do the best he could with them. An interesting insight into the experience of skaters who transitioned from 6.0 to CoP. Wish him the best in the future!

vCash
    My husband will forever call flower sweepers "Vandeperrenettes" because of the ones we saw at 2006 Worlds, who happened to have dresses the same color as Kevin's costume.

In 2009 we encountered Kevin, Jenna, and Gregor Urbas on the street walking back from the arena as we were walking to it. Kevin, thanks to the incident above, was one of the better-known skaters to my husband, so when I spotted him and his companions I gleefully exclaimed to DH, "It's Kevin Van De Perren!" I have announced his appearances on TV the same way to DH ever since.

vCash
    All the best to Kevin! I totally appreciate his honesty. Will definitely miss his wonderful 3-3-3 (and 4-3-3) combinations.
    I remember totally falling for him at the Euros in Warsaw when he won his first bronze and had the audience go crazy about it! That was definitely his moment.

These last years, you really can tell which skater was raised with the old system and who has really started with the IJS (International Judging System). It is really difficult for the former to compete with the latter, really. We [the older generation] learned jumps, whereas they [the younger generation] learned jumps with transitions. We learned spins, they learned spins with positions, etc. They have been trained that way; we have not.
    So true and honestly, such a pity. Then you have great names and great talents like Brian end their career on a low note instead of ending it as champions. But well, I guess nothing could've been done about it.

Kevin, I too, like the athletic aspect of skating! there is nothing like a power of a quad performed by a well-build man, not a skinny boy who almost looks like a girl (yes I am talking about Hanyu ).

Beach Bum
    vCash
    It is an appropriate ending with his first and last senior worlds in Nice.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Briber of judges
    vCash
    That's a good interview. He's definitely been a good representative for his country over the last 12 seasons. I wish him luck on his future endeavours too!
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Lol I have to wonder if he'll "unretire" for Sochi...

vCash
    I remember in Nice 2000 seeing this belgian guy, small, all dress in green, trying jumps only up to 3Loop in practice (and succeeding). I was impressed by the way he rotated. I said to myself 'better keep an eye on this one, he'll be on the European podium soon'.
    At that time I was thinking the EU podium would one day be Lambiel / Joubert / KVDP, in no particular order. That was leaving the russians out, but they all ended on the podium afterall.

It's fun as in Nice he said he remembered nothing from Nice 2000. But that was after his SP were he was swearing 'what's the point of continuing if I skate like this ??'.

Am still the keeper of a video of his 3-3-3-3 combo in practice at EB once year (!).

Long way to go Kevin, thanks for your jumps !

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Delightful. always a soft-spot skater for me. Great interview.

vCash
    Kevin is one classy guy, I will miss him.

vCash
    GREAT. After reading that wonderful interview, I'm just going to miss him even MORE!

vCash
    It's nice that he could end his competitive career with such a successful performance.

The interview has made me gain massive respect for him.

The interview shows that he is very much capable of self-insight and self-criticism, so hopefully he's going to become a very good coach.

Belgium definitely needs one.

vCash
    I will miss him, especially his 3/3/3's. He's one of the few that could finish the third jump with some flow. I always have a soft spot for the great jumpers. And that was a lovely interview.

If he's going into coaching, perhaps he will coach Jorik Hendrickx, who is really quite good, and has his 3A, although not yet consistently. Jorik needs to improve his 3A & learn a quad too?

vCash
    Always liked Kevin, especially for his Robin Hood & Pirates of the Caribbean programs. Wishing him all the best in the future.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I've always enjoyed when he's been one of the skaters at the events I've attended. He's always seemed to enjoy skating and he's always come across as a nice guy. I wish him the best of luck with whatever the future holds.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    I had to laugh at his assertion that the reason he can't spin is because the ice at his training rink is sloped to the edges...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast