Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    I still don't believe that they're coming back.

vCash
    I'll believe in the "comeback" when I see it. However, in Evan's case, there could be a marketing reason for him to do it ... at least for next season ... since Scott Hamilton (who, I believe, still has plenty to say about who gets SOI contracts) didn't think too much of Evan's failure to come back this year, after so much talk. If Evan does return, I think he will make it to the Worlds team (because he keeps his head in competition) but won't medal.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan12 View Post
    Considering Jeremy Abbott and Adam Rippon's worse-than-expected showing at Worlds, are Johnny Weir and Evan Lysacek automatically the top 2 in the US with their comebacks?
    When either of them actually competes, we might get a better idea. Until then it's all talk and no walk.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Winning over Abbott at those events is hardly impressive considering anyone who could stand on skates won over Abbott at those events. That has all do with how poorly Abbott skates at World events.
    Well, Evan won over everyone in 2009 Worlds and 2010 Olympics. And Abbott was the US champion in those years, so in that sense it is impressive to win over him in big events, LOL.

On the other hand if Abbott had delivered his 2010 and 2012 National performances at the 2009 Worlds and 2010 Olympics Evan would not be either a World or Olympic Champion today.
    Yeah, and if pigs had wings, they would fly, LOL.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Evan? Yes. He's a fierce mental competitor who knows how to maximize points.

Weir? No. Nobody doubts he has the edges and ability, but those watered down programs and no quad won't help him.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    Yeah, and if pigs had wings, they would fly, LOL.
    and that is what it would take for Evan to win a major event ever again, pigs with wings flying in the sky. The era of mediocre programs sans quads winning is extinct for good (tahnk goodness).

It is also hilarious there will surely be Evan fans who like to say I said things like that before when in fact I am the one who started a thread 3 months before Vancouver declaring he would win the Olympics for sure. I would be more than happy to linke to that very thread if anyone doubts this as well. The state of mens skating at the time with all the injuries, headcases, guys struggling to return from injuries, and other problems was so dire, and he was receiving such inflated World Champion and Caroll politiking boosted scores, it was inevitable. That was then though, all but an eternity ago when you look at the field and what the men are doing now. He is wise to stay on Star on Ice and come nowhere near the likes of Chan and a revived Takahashi again, other than an ice cream stand.

vCash
    A new article about Evan changing his agent and about comeback:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...2869957.column

vCash
    and that is what it would take for Evan to win a major event ever again, pigs with wings flying in the sky. The era of mediocre programs sans quads winning is extinct for good (tahnk goodness).
    Aren't you complaining in other threads that the current dominant guy -- Chan -- has a six-fall advantage over the field and is overrated? But now in this thread you are thankful for Chan being at the top? Which is it?
    It is also hilarious there will surely be Evan fans who like to say I said things like that before when in fact I am the one who started a thread 3 months before Vancouver declaring he would win the Olympics for sure. I would be more than happy to linke to that very thread if anyone doubts this as well.
    Please do because I sure don't remember seeing it. All I remember is you saying circa fall of 2008 that Evan was all washed up and would never ever win anything major again. But he got out of his rut and won the two most important skating titles.

Now I'm not saying Evan would beat Chan; I think it rather unlikely. But Evan's mental focus and determination (assuming his body holds up) does give him a chance to make some noise at the World level. A team of Evan and Jeremy next season *might* get three spots back in time for the Olympics, and if that happened I sure wouldn't complain!

Fallback: If Evan doesn't come back, can he please donate his mental game to Jeremy? Pretty please?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Aren't you complaining in other threads that the current dominant guy -- Chan -- has a six-fall advantage over the field and is overrated? But now in this thread you are thankful for Chan being at the top? Which is it?
    Even if Chan didnt exist Hanyu and Takahashi skating LPs like they did at Worlds would be far too good for Evan, or Kozuka if he gets back to his 2011 form (remember his 180 LP in Moscow), or a number of the other guys coming up. Pretty much all would agree Takahashi with no quad skating cleanly would have beaten Evan in Vancouver for instance. Yet at Worlds WITH the quad he skated cleanly and came only 3rd in the LP. Imagine Evan even at his best in that competition, sorry.

As for Chan I am happy for Chan pushing the boundaries of the sport in general, I am not happy with the over the top scores he receives which give the impression no matter what he does and what his competitors (by that I mean other tremendous quality skaters like Takahashi, not just good skaters like Evan) do they couldnt beat him. Regardless of the overall result he certainly did not deserve to beat Takahashi in the LP portion of either the GP final or Worlds, something all but the most devoted Chan fans (which includes the judges these days as well) seem to concur on. That is another topic though.

A team of Evan and Jeremy next season *might* get three spots back in time for the Olympics, and if that happened I sure wouldn't complain!
    Well yes I agree a team of Evan and Jeremy could possibly get 3 spots back. If Evan comes back in his 2009/2010 form he could get a finish around 5th or so, and if Jeremy has a good but not great sort of competition (eg- 2010 Worlds) he could also finish around 5th or so. That really has little to do with the thread title about Even and Johnny already being the top 2 and Evan and Johnny being capable of being at the top at the World level today.

As for my thread all but ensuring Evan would win the Olympic Gold, check in my threads created section, you should see it in December 2009/January 2010 sometime as I am sure it was right after the GP final I made it. I forgot you need to be a payed member to perform that action. As for Evan being washed up in late 2008, 95% of the posters here thought that too, but the field was so weak and inconsistent in 2009/2010 then it was easy for anyone to make a comeback, just as Czisny capatilized on the all time low U.S womens field to make a couple comebacks which would have never happened in the Kwan or Cohen era.

vCash
    I'm interested to see what either can do. I don't have very high expectations, but who knows.

While I prefer Johnny over Evan, I think Evan has better chance at a successful comeback (if he actually comes back). Johnny wasn't top 2 US men when he left. I don't think he can expect to be coming back.

vCash
    Well yes I agree a team of Evan and Jeremy could possibly get 3 spots back. If Evan comes back in his 2009/2010 form he could get a finish around 5th or so, and if Jeremy has a good but not great sort of competition (eg- 2010 Worlds) he could also finish around 5th or so. That really has little to do with the thread title about Even and Johnny already being the top 2 and Evan and Johnny being capable of being at the top at the World level today.
    The thread title asks if Evan and Johnny would be US Top 2, and my thought was that they could be, especially Evan since he's such a determined athlete. And to me a top five Worlds finish means you are in the thick of things at the World level. I think Evan has a chance to do that -- no guarantee of course, but I think he has a shot. (Btw, I don't think Jeremy's 2010 Worlds performances would garner a top five finish next year; he only finished fifth that year b/c it was a depleted field -- no Evan, no Plush, no Lambiel, etc.) Frankly I don't care if Evan ever medals at Worlds again, but if he can help the US get three spots back, then I welcome him back with open arms.

As for your bold OGM prediction, you offered to provide a link, and then when I request it, you tell me to go find it myself? Okay, then.

vCash
    The thread title asks if Evan and Johnny would be US Top 2, and my thought was that they could be
    The OP then asked if they could compete with the best in the World so it is asking 2 difference things. Anyway you said nothing about Johnny, who wasnt even really a top 2 American when he left. After burning all bridges upon his retirement, with a greater emphasis on quads and transitions (although quads arent a strength for U.S men in fairness), and with the usual problems of nearing 30 and being off competition awhile, it would be a miracle if he was anywhere near a top 2 American when he returned, even with how weak the U.S men currently seem to be. I did concede Evan could be a top 2 American if he returned (which he probably wont but we will see), which isnt saying much with the current U.S men.

And to me a top five Worlds finish means you are in the thick of things at the World level.
    Not really. I dont think Joubert is back in the thick of things. I dont consider Amodio in the thick of things right now.

Btw, I don't think Jeremy's 2010 Worlds performances would garner a top five finish next year; he only finished fifth that year b/c it was a depleted field -- no Evan, no Plush, no Lambiel, etc.
    Of course the field in 2010 was much weaker (although the 2010 Worlds was a stronger competition than the 2010 Olympics even with the absences). However Jeremy was purposely well undermarked and held down by the judges at the 2010 Worlds as punishment for his meltdown at the Olympics. Considering the PCS he was getting even for flawed performances this year yes he could be 5thish with the same type of performance he had at the 2010 Worlds. His performances at the 2010 Worlds itself probably would have come 2nd at the 2010 Worlds if he were not clearly out of favor at that point.

As for your bold OGM prediction, you offered to provide a link, and then when I request it, you tell me to go find it myself? Okay, then.
    I forgot you had to be a payed member to search an individuals threads (including your own). You are a payed member and I stated the time I made the thread so it should be incredibly easy for you to find it in less than a minute. Is that so complicated.

vCash
    Where in this thread did you declare that Evan "would win the Olympics for sure"? No such bold declaration is on the first page, and I'm not wading through 11 pages of "oh hell no, Evan better not win!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I'm interested to see what either can do. I don't have very high expectations, but who knows.

While I prefer Johnny over Evan, I think Evan has better chance at a successful comeback (if he actually comes back). Johnny wasn't top 2 US men when he left. I don't think he can expect to be coming back.
    Johnny absolutely was top 2 US men when he left. He beat Abbott in three out of four head to head competitions that season.

As for the comebacks, it's too soon to tell, and all this speculation is pointless.

Fallback: If Evan doesn't come back, can he please donate his mental game to Jeremy? Pretty please?
    I don't think you will enjoy Jeremy's skating very much if that happened.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    We'll be better off with Farris and Brown instead of these 2 coming back.
    Really? Brown with his 3 lutz and nice spins?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho View Post
    I don't think you will enjoy Jeremy's skating very much if that happened.
    I absolutely would enjoy Jeremy if he inherited Evan's self confidence and ability to focus, combined with his own artistry. I know you are a longtime Evan hater but give me a break.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carriemarie View Post
    Really? Brown with his 3 lutz and nice spins?
    Well, you have a point, but it should be noted that Johnny was gushing about both Brown and Farris at Nationals. So if he recognizes their talent, it's worth noting...

vCash
    Going to be interesting to see how it all plays out.

vCash
    Lysacek might be #1 or #2, but I don't know about Weir. I saw a show performance from him on youtube a few months back and he seemed out of shape. I don't think he's known as the most DISCIPLINED athlete either, he seems to enjoy more running around to fashion shows and stuff especially now, although Lysacek IS known as a disciplined athlete so I think he has a better chance of being in good form.

vCash
    I think the bottom line is (As we all know) it is a pre - Olympic year next season. The US had a fairly dismal showing in the men's event at Worlds this year and I am sure are getting panicky.
    I believe that if Evan is not able to win or even medal in an event, he is certainly able to crack top 5. Johnny....the jury's still out on that one...I think 2013 World team needs to be Evan in combination with a reliable competitor (like end of season Ross Miner)
    I do hope both guys return this season, they both have an amazing presence and would bring a certain cache back to the event...I agree it will be very interesting to see this play out!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast