Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 66
  1. #41

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Quadland
    Posts
    6,164
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1604
    With the Hersh article he ends with something indicating a Weir-Lysacek rivalry will be good and drive news stories. I doubt it.

    Skating has changed. Chan was always there saying quads are not important and shouldn't matter and winners should have it all! Quads were not involved it having it all. It was all triple jumps and spins and steps and PCS. Programs with tons of transitions and choreo and all that and quads were not important. Lysacek was saying the same exact thing and all his supporters were saying the exact same thing and now Chan is doing quads. Quads are now part of everything. You can't have everything and not do quads. No top tier person is not doing quads now. Takahashi is doing them basically well in SP's and LP's. There can be no anti-quad or quads don't matter activism. They do matter and are important and valued in skating again.

  2. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    767
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Skating has changed. Chan was always there saying quads are not important and shouldn't matter and winners should have it all! Quads were not involved it having it all. It was all triple jumps and spins and steps and PCS. Programs with tons of transitions and choreo and all that and quads were not important. Lysacek was saying the same exact thing and all his supporters were saying the exact same thing and now Chan is doing quads. Quads are now part of everything. You can't have everything and not do quads. No top tier person is not doing quads now. Takahashi is doing them basically well in SP's and LP's. There can be no anti-quad or quads don't matter activism. They do matter and are important and valued in skating again.
    Quad quad quad quad, quad quady quaddle quad. Quadly, quad quad quad quad quady, quad quading quader-quader, quad quad quads quad quad quad. Quad quad quad quad quad quading quadquad. Quad quad quad, quad. Quad-quad quads quad. QUAD-QUAD. Quad quad quad quadding quad, quad quadyquad quad quad quads quads quad. Quad quad. Quad quading quad quad.

    QUAD QUAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  3. #43
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,039
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Attack of the Freaking Quads!

    Quad is ruining the sport -- has already ruined the sport, not to mention groins, bones, joints, ligaments, beauty of the sport. It's just an extra revolution that goes by in a split second, but yet it takes tons of training time, mental energy, and physical wearing down. It's not worth it. But it won't go away. What are the physical limits anyway? Will Quintuple jumps ever be possible? Probably not unless humans evolve into different physical beings.

    I don't think there have been enough studies on the physical aspects of jumps in figure skating nor enough appropriate training for developing quads -- it's only been happening slowly and piecemeal without a proper understanding and appreciation of the long term impact on skaters' bodies. I came across the below article on the Internet, which makes interesting points:

    http://iceskatingresources.org/Triple&QuadJumps.html

    As to Weir and Lysacek, I agree with psycho: It's too soon to know what will happen. I do feel that both Weir and Lysacek are serious about making the effort to come back, and nothing that happened at Worlds this year, at least regarding the U.S. men, has likely put a damper on their enthusiasm.

    Below is a vid of Evan's new program performed at Ice Chips (poor clip filmed by an 8-year-old):

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMUBfEV2MGo

    Evan's other performance at Ice Chips -- a bit better quality clip:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg5uT...eature=related

  4. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    3,863
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Takahashi is doing them basically well in SP's and LP's. There can be no anti-quad or quads don't matter activism. They do matter and are important and valued in skating again.
    Has Takahashi a quad in SP? I must have missed it then. Yes, now in Worlds he jumped a successful quad in LP, but not in combination. How many times has he been successful with a quad in recent major competitions like Worlds? Not that many times is my impression, but maybe my memory is just bad.

  5. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    328
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    Has Takahashi a quad in SP? I must have missed it then. Yes, now in Worlds he jumped a successful quad in LP, but not in combination. How many times has he been successful with a quad in recent major competitions like Worlds? Not that many times is my impression, but maybe my memory is just bad.
    He attempted a 4 toe - 3 toe combo, quad was fine, but had a downgrade on the 3 toe and I think a fall as well.

  6. #46
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,520
    vCash
    875
    Rep Power
    49813
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan12 View Post
    Lysacek and Weir Comeback: Are they US Top 2?
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan12 View Post
    Considering Jeremy Abbott and Adam Rippon's worse-than-expected showing at Worlds, are Johnny Weir and Evan Lysacek automatically the top 2 in the US with their comebacks?
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan12 View Post
    Do you think they still can compete with the best in the world?
    Above are the OP's thoughts in regards to this thread. Clearly, this thread is about IF Lysacek and Weir were to come back. Any comments to the effect of these two NOT coming back is off-topic, irritatingly repetative and stiflingly boring.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

  7. #47
    Main Offender
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    cooking with Alexei Rogonov and Nodari Maisuradze
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,092
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3916
    I actually don't care but I'd love to see Johnny back on the scene
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

    Bruce Lee

  8. #48
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    7,134
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    ^ Yup. I see Johnny sometimes in Hackensack. It's marvelous to see him training again. I hope he follows through

  9. #49
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,136
    vCash
    600
    Rep Power
    0
    If the come back, they could easily be 1 and 2, or 4 and 5. U.S men are headcases, so it's hard to say where they could place if they return. It would come down to which other men deliver at nationals, and how well trained both of them are.

  10. #50
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,520
    vCash
    875
    Rep Power
    49813
    Quote Originally Posted by DimaToe View Post
    U.S men are headcases...


    Lysacek's record at Nationals:

    1st (Novice) - 1st (Junior, then senior for the rest) - 12th - 12th - 7th - 5th - 3rd - 2nd - 1st - 1st - 3rd - 2nd

    Weir's record at Nationals:

    3rd (Novice) - 4th (Junior) - 5th (Junior, then senior for the rest) - 6th - 5th -
    WD* - 1st - 1st - 1st - 3rd - 2nd - 5th - 3rd

    These are the results of headcases? I wish I could be so continually successful as this...in ANY aspect of my life!

    * According to wikipedia, "Johnny Weir, who had been in medal contention after the short program, hit the barrier during his long program, got up and restarted his program, then had to withdraw..." (Weir was second after the SP.)
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

  11. #51
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,136
    vCash
    600
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post


    Lysacek's record at Nationals:

    1st (Novice) - 1st (Junior, then senior for the rest) - 12th - 12th - 7th - 5th - 3rd - 2nd - 1st - 1st - 3rd - 2nd

    Weir's record at Nationals:

    3rd (Novice) - 4th (Junior) - 5th (Junior, then senior for the rest) - 6th - 5th -
    WD* - 1st - 1st - 1st - 3rd - 2nd - 5th - 3rd

    These are the results of headcases? I wish I could be so continually successful as this...in ANY aspect of my life!

    * According to wikipedia, "Johnny Weir, who had been in medal contention after the short program, hit the barrier during his long program, got up and restarted his program, then had to withdraw..." (Weir was second after the SP.)
    I was reffering to the current field, which doesnt include Weir and Lysacek, since theyve been absent for two seasons, I should have clarified that

  12. #52

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,256
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    920
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleflutz View Post
    Quad quad quad quad, quad quady quaddle quad. Quadly, quad quad quad quad quady, quad quading quader-quader, quad quad quads quad quad quad. Quad quad quad quad quad quading quadquad. Quad quad quad, quad. Quad-quad quads quad. QUAD-QUAD. Quad quad quad quadding quad, quad quadyquad quad quad quads quads quad. Quad quad. Quad quading quad quad.

    QUAD QUAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ...and that newest of combo elements...the quad/ quad/ quad/quad into an elegant...QUAD!!!

    SHEESH!!!

  13. #53
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    With the Hersh article he ends with something indicating a Weir-Lysacek rivalry will be good and drive news stories. I doubt it.

    Skating has changed. Chan was always there saying quads are not important and shouldn't matter and winners should have it all! Quads were not involved it having it all. It was all triple jumps and spins and steps and PCS. Programs with tons of transitions and choreo and all that and quads were not important. Lysacek was saying the same exact thing and all his supporters were saying the exact same thing and now Chan is doing quads. Quads are now part of everything. You can't have everything and not do quads. No top tier person is not doing quads now. Takahashi is doing them basically well in SP's and LP's. There can be no anti-quad or quads don't matter activism. They do matter and are important and valued in skating again.
    Can't they just create a rivalry between 2 other skaters? Like Miner-Rippon or Farris-Brown? I mean, I hope they don't, but it wouldn't be that difficult to do honestly. They don't need Johnny and Evan to come back to have news stories, plus neither will be competitive without a quad, which I doubt either has at this point considering they weren't doing them during the Olympic season. The press can get news stories about other skaters without these two coming back.

  14. #54
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    127
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleflutz View Post
    Quad quad quad quad, quad quady quaddle quad. Quadly, quad quad quad quad quady, quad quading quader-quader, quad quad quads quad quad quad. Quad quad quad quad quad quading quadquad. Quad quad quad, quad. Quad-quad quads quad. QUAD-QUAD. Quad quad quad quadding quad, quad quadyquad quad quad quads quads quad. Quad quad. Quad quading quad quad.
    Quad, Quad, Quad, Quad, Quad, Quad...
    Oh baby l like it.
    It's so exciting.
    Don't try to hide it.
    I'mma make you my b...

    Last edited by Marroncream; 04-09-2012 at 07:00 AM.

  15. #55
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    6,778
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Well, what the 2 of them actually say and actually will do are 2 different things. However, US men's skating is in such sad shape right now that if they do come back, all power to them. They will probably be 1 or 2 with or without Abbott around. Abbott is too much of headcase (throwing in the towel).

  16. #56
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    3,863
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Well, what the 2 of them actually say and actually will do are 2 different things. However, US men's skating is in such sad shape right now that if they do come back, all power to them. They will probably be 1 or 2 with or without Abbott around. Abbott is too much of headcase (throwing in the towel).
    Not at the Nationals, where either of them will be 2nd. And that one will be Evan, in my opinion.

  17. #57

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7,347
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    With the Hersh article he ends with something indicating a Weir-Lysacek rivalry will be good and drive news stories. I doubt it.

    Skating has changed. Chan was always there saying quads are not important and shouldn't matter and winners should have it all! Quads were not involved it having it all. It was all triple jumps and spins and steps and PCS. Programs with tons of transitions and choreo and all that and quads were not important. Lysacek was saying the same exact thing and all his supporters were saying the exact same thing and now Chan is doing quads. Quads are now part of everything. You can't have everything and not do quads. No top tier person is not doing quads now. Takahashi is doing them basically well in SP's and LP's. There can be no anti-quad or quads don't matter activism. They do matter and are important and valued in skating again.
    You are right about the changes in skating ... that quads are relatively common is precisely why quads don't drive news stories (not doing quads, by contrast, is newsworthy ... on a "man bites dog" rationale)

  18. #58
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    381
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    You are right about the changes in skating ... that quads are relatively common is precisely why quads don't drive news stories (not doing quads, by contrast, is newsworthy ... on a "man bites dog" rationale)
    If Evan and Johnny return to competition, their quads or lack there of will be a major focus in the skating media . . . if they are training them; when they will try them; how many points they gain by doing/not doing; whether either will ever try two in a program; whether either will put the quad in the short. This season, Brandon's (early) quad Lutz; Jeremy talking about putting the quad in his short; and Rippon's pursuit of a quad were discussed. U.S. men doing quads will always drive a certain number of stories in the U.S., simply because quads carry a large amount of points and some top U.S. men don't do them.

  19. #59
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    22
    Posts
    12,998
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Well, what the 2 of them actually say and actually will do are 2 different things. However, US men's skating is in such sad shape right now that if they do come back, all power to them. They will probably be 1 or 2 with or without Abbott around. Abbott is too much of headcase (throwing in the towel).
    LOL at anyone thinking Weir will be anywhere near the top even in the U.S if he comes back.

  20. #60
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    7,134
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    ^ Not so fast. Weir is looking very focused and serious in training. 3As are now looking simple for him, and he is about 50% on the 4T from what I have seen. Do not count him out yet!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •