Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Glad people have raised the best aspect of IJS which is the positive GOEs for elements, instead of just deducting on them.
    I'm not a believer that we should go back to 6.0, but that was not a system where every skater started at 6.0 and simply went down from there. The judges watched practices and had a good idea of what the "base value" for most of the competitors would be. Should a skater perform elements of higher difficulty or of better quality, they were supposed to be rewarded with higher marks. These are things any good judge would know...

Happily succumbing to the FSU productivity virus.
    vCash
    Looking at skating, it is a sport that features intricate blade work, quality of glide, ice coverage, jumping, spins, and lifts. In addition to these athletic skills, there is an element of timing, musicality, and interpretation.

I would support a system that is credible in its consistent judgment, where true lutzes and flips are distinguished, recognized to be more difficult than toe jumps no matter how artistic the program. A spin utilizing forwards and backwards with a variety of inside edges showing a mastery of the blade would be more valued than a single position held spin. Where a high double axel with speed going in and out of the jump would be recognized as better quality than a whipped double axel with minimal height. Footwork with different edges, use of both feet, different directions and having extensive ice coverage would be recognized than just running on toepicks. A judging system that appreciates and reliably distinguishes the number and the difficulty of elements completed and quality of execution with transparency is one that should be valued.

These are reasons why I like the idea of COP and why the direction it has been going in is a good thing for the sport. For the skaters that grew up with COP, the good ones have been able to build musicality and artistry around all the elements. I also like how skaters can be within the top 10 of world ranks in their senior debut and I also like the more overall development of skaters. I like how it's not just jumps and throws that dictate the overall winner in singles and pairs and I like how dancers are a lot more comparable than before.

Again, I don't mean that COP is perfect but it's heck of a lot better than 6.0. What competitors cumulatively complete should be a completely acceptable way of establishing rankings. I'll also need to get around finding a way to better present visually how final scores are established - I seriously would want to build an app that has stacked bar charts for each competitor, where each segment of a bar can be clicked on, launches a mini video of the element with base value, and GOE displayed).

My problem is that I just need to figure out how to balance the drive for increasing difficulty and complexity with the beauty of a held spiral, a well done scratch spin, and no blade grabbing death spiral or lift.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DustPuppyOI View Post
    My problem is that I just need to figure out how to balance the drive for increasing difficulty and complexity with the beauty of a held spiral, a well done scratch spin, and no blade grabbing death spiral or lift.
    I too prefer the new system old, but agree with this. It's about the simple element done well and beautifully, and in perfect compliment to the music.

The solution is to have a few 'free' elements in the LP which aren't judged for difficulty, just for GOE, and as part of the PCS. I think this was the case with one of the mens' footwork sequences this past season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    The solution is to have a few 'free' elements in the LP which aren't judged for difficulty, just for GOE, and as part of the PCS. I think this was the case with one of the mens' footwork sequences this past season.
    Yes, and the spiral sequence in the senior ladies' and the pairs' long program.

The other solution would be to adjust the scale of values for leveled elements so that it's always more valuable to gain one higher GOE than to gain one more level.

Those approaches are not mutually exclusive across a whole program, but would be for individual elements.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011