View Poll Results: Is Patrick Chan overrated?

Voters
357. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

171 47.90%
  • No

186 52.10%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Patrick is overrated

I get that he's good. He really is, but i feel like he is wayyyyy overrated. He gets marks that are much higher than they should be, and if performed by other, less reputable skaters, they'd recieve lower marks. What do you think?

vCash
    I think some of us found this poll faster than others

vCash
    Oh dear. I can already envision how ugly this thread is going to get.

vCash
    Chan didn't skate that well today. He didn't blow away the competition this time. But his marks were a bit lower than usual---he didn't get all 9s in PCS.

IMO, Takahashi's PCS should have been higher and the margin should have been closer.

I think Chan will be getting some stiff competition in the future from Hanyu, so results may no longer be so one-sided.

vCash
    Is this really necessary? We need a poll now to see just how much hate there really is for him.

vCash
    Why is this poll in GSD? Shouldn't it be in the Trash Can where I can ignore it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    Chan didn't skate that well today. He didn't blow away the competition this time. But his marks were a bit lower than usual---he didn't get all 9s in PCS.

IMO, Takahashi's PCS should have been higher and the margin should have been closer.

I think Chan will be getting some stiff competition in the future from Hanyu, so results may no longer be so one-sided.
    ITA with your entire post. Overall, I do think the right medals were awarded based on 2 programs, but Chan should be worried about the young Japanese skater.

vCash
    IMO Chan is sometimes over marked in PC's, however I recall several competitions earlier in his senior career where it was the opposite. I think just a few years ago Joubert earned higher PC's than Chan, which at the time was disgraceful. I also think when you perform such high-scoring elements (I.e., 4T & 4T+3T in the same program), it adds to the PC's in the judges' minds. Not saying this is justified always, just food for thought.

vCash
    How's Chan over marked in PC's?

Skating Skill, he's second to none.
    Transition, every element is linked.
    Choreography, well balance program through out, no rest at all, full of complexity through out.
    Interpretation Skill, very subjective, some like, some don't. But for this year's LP, every move he makes match the music perfectly (except today which he's behind the music)
    Performance, again, subjective. But I find he has great body line, elegant and classical. May not be everyone's taste, but that doesn't mean it's not good.

And I find this thread just yet another Chan bashing attempt.

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jettasian View Post
    And I find this thread just yet another Chan bashing attempt.

Congratulations...you fell for the bait as you always do. Try harder to resist next time.
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    All I have to say is, bring it on. The more Chan bashing they can come up with, the more they are showing their bitterness. It won't hurt Chan, just their constant pissy mood because someone they hate keeps on winning

vCash
    It's still a bit too early to tell. That Russian kid came out of nowhere last season to win bronze wasn't it? Where is he now? Besides, Hanyu's style is still too juniorish, and he always has a habit to run out of gas at the end of the long program. However, I do believe that he will be the next top Japanese skater.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Why is this poll in GSD? Shouldn't it be in the Trash Can where I can ignore it?
    this!
    This too will pass away.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jettasian View Post
    It's still a bit too early to tell. That Russian kid came out of nowhere last season to win bronze wasn't it? Where is he now? Besides, Hanyu's style is still too juniorish, and he always has a habit to run out of gas at the end of the long program. However, I do believe that he will be the next top Japanese skater.
    Hanyu is only 18 (in December). Of course he is juniorish---he's just up from juniors, having won the WJC last year. IMO, there will be major improvements in his presentation and jump repertoire over the the next two years. He could be formidable by Sochi.

vCash
    I hesitate to say he's over-rated.

He's got a lot of great skills, and his edges are beautiful. Having said that, however, there's no point having deep edges if you can't stay upright on them. The fact that he falls so much points towards a possible technique defect or mental weakness. It will be interesting to see how he copes when/if the judges finally start scoring him properly.

However, he really needs to work on his artistry. It's like watching a cold fish. No expression, no emotion. I tried, believe me I did. I almost wanted him to have some artistry so I could see the justification in the marks. No joy. When he skates, he has the emotional range of a teaspoon.

vCash
    I voted yes, but that doesn't mean I hate him. I enjoy some of his programs. When he's on, he is amazing, sometimes even when he's a bit off. However, some other skaters bring more to the ice, their heart is there on the ice as well and in the music. That is something I'm still missing when I watch Chan. Other than that, he is amazing.

Yesterday I was surprised to see him win, I thought after that fall Takahashi would win. Then I figured "oh well, I don't know that much about skating, especially because I've never been a skater myself. Did I miss something?"

Two different channels were showing the men's free, the commentator of one channel said nothing much about the scores so I waited until Eurosport would show those programs too and see what their commentators thought about that win. Eurosport (Dutch) commentators actually agreed with my view, they also thought it should have been Takahashi. It was one of few times we had the same opinion on something. When I went online, many more people doubted that win so I realised my thoughts and doubts weren't out of line.

I'm waiting for the moment when Chan will skate his heart out on the ice, as if the music is part of his being. Then it will perhaps become the greatest program ever to have been skated. When watching competitions I'm always hoping everyone will do their very best, after all, we want to watch wonderful skating no matter which skater does the job.

vCash
    Double post. Sorry.

vCash
    Hanyu is only 18 (in December). Of course he is juniorish---he's just up from juniors, having won the WJC last year. IMO, there will be major improvements in his presentation and jump repertoire over the the next two years. He could be formidable by Sochi.
    Hanyu's 17 and in his second senior season - he won 2010 JW. But I don't think he's juniorish. Will he be a better and more mature skater in a few year's time? One can only hope. But he is a better skater at age 17 than many of the older skaters he competes against - as he showed this weekend.

As for the subject of this thread: yes, Chan is overrated. Not because he's not a very good skater, but because he is not quite as good as his marks suggest. His interpretation and performance ability are by no means the best in the field, and his mistakes aren't punished as severely as some of his competitors. For a skater whose skating skills are celebrated, he certainly has some strange bobbles and falls.

vCash
    He's got enough potential to be all-time-greatest man, only if his consistency follows adequately and his interpretation skills improve more. Otherwise he's got it all. Skating skills, huge jumps, wonderful presentations. He's not, however, yet shown that he can be consistent as hell for more than one season. Look at Yuna's track of records. Well she didn't win "everything" but just the fact that she was very consistent with the strongest technical content in the field is enough to give her credit for the all-time-greatest.

vCash

I am not so sure. If Takahashi cannot get high PCS simply because he is skating against Chan, I don't see a young skater who has not yet developed getting high PCS. In TES, I have seen Hanyu being rather inconsistent in his quads, and that will make it difficult for him to challenge for the top spot.

Now if by 'future' you are talking about distant future (beyond the next two season) you could be right.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast