Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutzcy View Post
    At the end of Rita Wilson's episode (which WAS absolutely fascinating) I turned to my sister and said, "Bet you there's a feature movie developed by Hanks and Wilson within the next years based on her father's life." I for one will go see it.
    Me too!

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twizzler View Post
    Count me in as another who can't miss this show! The Rita Wilson episode was amazing, but I was blown away with Blair Underwood's story. The fact that they were able to find a DNA match to a relative in Africa who had randomly submitted DNA hoping to find someone was mind blowing. Such an interesting show.
    I know!! What also blew me away from that one was how his Mother's family were African American land owners in the 1700's. That to me was just beyond mindblowing when you consider that time in the US. Amazing!!

Also found it interesting when they traced Brooke Shield's relatives back to French royalty. They lived in the Lourve before it was a museum.
    Royalty nerd here... She's not just related to the French Royal Family, but through them, to the majority of the current Italian Royals and the Spanish Royal Family as well. Finding out you're related to a Royal Bourbon/Borbon is almost the equal of finding out you're related to a Royal Stuart of the Scottish/English Royal line. The very cool relations keep going on and on and on and on.

Always find that I'm saddened by the difficulty in tracing the roots of African Americans because of slavery. Seeing names listed as someone's property really bothers me.
    Not just that, but also how in the past there was so much incest going on as a result of Slavery or just because they knew there something never spoken about in the Family History, but until it had been really looked into, never knew this was what it was. I forget who it was, but one of the former NFL players who have been on WDYTYA? or one of the other shows...I can still so clearly remember his wife asking him, "Are you really prepared for what you're going to find on this journey? Are you *really* ready?"

IIRC, that's what happened when they did the search on her side of the family a couple of generations back. One of those everyone of a certain age knew about it, but never spoke about it things. Wish I could remember just who that was though.

That's not the only sad thing...I know someone who was able to trace his Family back to Africa on his Dad's side, but because of the political situation in the Country of his Family's Origins, they can't go and visit the Family that is still there. It's only two generations back for him, so there are relatives over there they know of, but they just can't take the risk.

That's equally as sad to me as the African Americans in the US who go looking, but *know* they'll only get so far thanks to Slavery.

As I said about Rita's Dad in the Labour Camps...What Humans will do to one another is just unbelievable.

edited to add...AAACKKKK!! I'm having a bad day pain wise, so we'll blame this on that, okay?

Brooke's also related to the other Royals of Europe thanks to Queen Victoria. Her Granddaughter Ena married the then King of Spain. The current and reigning King Juan Carlos of Spain is her Grandson. AFAIK, one of Ena's sons was also the last known desendant of Victoria's to suffer from Hemophilia, but not sure about that one, but I could swear I read that somewhere.

I remember watching that one and afterwards, explaining to Mom and Dad the various Royal links Brooke found out about. Haven't had to do something like since about five years ago we were watching the UK Roadshow and someone was the Great Niece of the Carriageman/Butler/Do what needs done around Wood Farm who was part of the staff/entourage who took care of poor Prince John, youngest son of King George V and Queen Mary. Poor boy had eplipsy(sp), so in those days was shut away. Anyway, this person had letters, pictures, her Great Uncle's Diary of those years.

I was sitting there w/my mouth dropping lower and lower and lower and my Parents kept going, "Who's Prince John?" Took about fifteen minutes of explaination from me, but they finally understood.

If the story about the Queen not allowing Diana and Charles to name William "John" for Diana's father due to it being an unlucky name is true, more than likely it's due to this poor little Prince than the Prince John of Robin Hood fame which many assume on hearing this.
    Last edited by AragornElessar; 04-03-2012 at 09:28 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    If the story about the Queen not allowing Diana and Charles to name William "John" for Diana's father due to it being an unlucky name is true, more than likely it's due to this poor little Prince than the Prince John of Robin Hood fame which many assume on hearing this.
    Totally off the "Who Do You Think You Are" subject, but I thought I'd tell you that I live in Sherwood Forest (subdivision!!!) And Little John Ct. is across the street from my house! hee hee hee The main road is King Richard. There's a Robin Hood and a Maid Marian and Nottingham, etc.

It's Friday. I'm exhausted and slap happy................... :-)

vCash
    No worries and *very* cool.

Wow oh wow did Edie Falco have an adventure or what? I might just have to tune in to Seattle NBC in an hour to rewatch it, just because I was having trouble keeping the connections straight. Now if *I* was having problems, I can't imagine the trouble Edie was having.

Listening to her at the beginning talking about how to explain this to her two adopted children and while she didn't say it, knowing sometime they might want to do the same thing....That just really tugged at my heartstrings.

They didn't do a promo for next week, so I'm assuming it'll be back in two weeks? I think there's still three for sure, maybe four, episodes left in this Season.

vCash
    They didn't do a promo for next week, so I'm assuming it'll be back in two weeks? I think there's still three for sure, maybe four, episodes left in this Season.
    I couldn't find the airdates, but the remaining episodes are Rob Lowe, Rashida Jones, Jason Sudeikis, and Paula Deen.

vCash
    Listening to her at the beginning talking about how to explain this to her two adopted children and while she didn't say it, knowing sometime they might want to do the same thing....That just really tugged at my heartstrings.

They did a promo here for Rob Lowe. Apparently, one of his ancestors had it in for George Washington.

The beginning tugged at my heartstrings, too, but I liked how the whole process confirmed to her by the end how important it was to provide love to children who did not have biological parents to care for them.

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    I love this show, particularly the British version. Kim Catrell's story is on Youtube and is well worth looking up (love her Aunties!). So is Jerry Springer's (and he comes across as a nice guy! )

Brooke Shield's story is interesting, but I was disappointed that they talked about her ancestor Louis XIV, who has thousands of descendants, but not the mistress from whom she descends and there was no info on the illegitimate child, who must have had an interesting life. I think that the life of a royal bastard (was she acknowledged by him?) would be the interesting hook of this particular story.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    By the looks of it, the next couple of weeks will be repeats.

I thought last night's episode was recording while I was out. I didn't check before going to bed (when there would have been time to catch it from Seattle) and only discovered this morning that it didn't record for some unknown reason. I guess I'll have to wait for it to be repeated or available on demand.

[I also missed recording CSI:NY last night ]
    Can't skate but love to watch

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Only in the US, though.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    So sorry!
    Many of the episodes are available on YT.
    True for the UK and Canadian versions, as well.

vCash
    Not for Canadians they're not I'm afraid.

I know it's shown on City TV, but when I just checked their site, it's not available to watch over there. So hopefully it gets repeated for you Victorskid.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    If you have Rogers Cable, some episodes are on the "on demand" channel

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    Thanks, Alixana, I checked but there are only two episodes up at the moment and the most recent is Rita Wilson's.
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    Saw Rita Wilson's episode and t was very touching. He father went through so much n a few short years.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    I just watched the Rob Lowe episode. Loved it. What a wild history. We rarely think of Americans who fought on the other side, but it many ways this was a classic American story of becoming American. What a great ending to the story! I was happy for Rob that he got his patriotic ancestry after all, but it also was just a fascinating, very American, ending.

vCash
    It was terrific.
    Rob Lowe displayed an impressive knowledge of early American history in his consultations with the researchers helping him.

I'd love to know more about what happened to "John Christopher East" after the American Revolution.
    How did he become so prominent in his community?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    It was terrific.
    Rob Lowe displayed an impressive knowledge of early American history in his consultations with the researchers helping him.

I'd love to know more about what happened to "John Christopher East" after the American Revolution.

It really was quite the adventure and I was also impressed by Rob's knowledge of early American History. Not surprised after a bit though, because I know all too well w/my own passion for British Royal History and certain periods of it in particular, if you're passionate about something then you'll do and read close to anything about whatever in order to learn more about it. Rob himself said ever since he was little he had been facinated by the Revolution and the early days of the US and in turn, tried to learn as much as possible about it.

When that happens, you can't help but soak up the details.

I too would have loved to learned more about what he did to become such a prominent man in that community where he eventually settled in, but they've only got an hour for the show, so... Too bad they don't do Two Parters, as this would have been perfect for one. Regardless, as someone said this really was a happy ending story w/Rob's ancestor being inducted (?) into The Sons of the American Revolution as a "Patriot" after all. I thought Rob was going to go into the ugly cry there, but I'm sure it happens as soon as those cameras stopped rolling.

BTW...I can't even begin to imagine how it would feel for any of our friends here who are American Citizens, who go to the Library of Congress looking for background info/documents on their Family History and are told they need to go through the documents and diaries of George Washington to get that information they're looking for. Cool seems like such an inadaquate word for something like this, but...Yeah. It would be pretty cool I'd think.

Next week looks to be pretty gutwrenching. Wish I'd be able to see it, but I'll be at the ACC at CSOI hopefully, so since I can't be in two places at the same time...

vCash
    I too would have loved to learned more about what he did to become such a prominent man in that community where he eventually settled in, but they've only got an hour for the show, so... Too bad they don't do Two Parters, as this would have been perfect for one.
    ITA. There are time constraints. Plus, even though they uncover a lot of information, there are limits to what they can find. I'm convinced that there's a lot more to the original military imprisonment of Rita's father than simply stealing less than a dollar, but I don't think we'll ever know what really happened.

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    It was terrific.

I was a teeny bit surprised that when the name "Johann Christophe Oest” came up, Rob didn’t immediately think of the Hessian Troops.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast