Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrufflet View Post
    Thanks all for your comments re Alissa. YOU are the people I want to hang out with at the rink. I haven't seen her performance but she is such an exquisite, classy skater usually. I had hoped for better things for her.
    She can go commiserate with Lacoste, another one I had hoped would skate better than ever before, just to prove the naysayers wrong. I feel for them both.
    I am also a longtime Alissa fan.

I haven't watched her WC programs yet and don't know if I will.

If she continues competing I wish her the best and think she is a lovely skater.
    Last edited by MrLucky; 04-02-2012 at 11:55 AM.

vCash
    I don't know anyone named Chang that medaled yesterday.

vCash
    Thank you for this thread! I think Alissa needs all the support she can get right now.. can't imagine how she must be feeling. I really hope she doesn't give up, she's such a lovely skater. Hopefully she's been getting lots of support right now by her friends and family etc. Cynthia Phaneuf tweeted
    @PhaneufCynthia
    Hard for me to even say how sad and mad I am for Alissa,...Such a sweet girl who doesn't deserve anything but support now #Nice2012
    Lovely words from a great person and so true.

vCash
    that is so nice of her!

Here's Alissa's fantastic performance of "Sabrina" at 2007 Nationals. I re-uploaded it on youtube because it was missing.

http://youtu.be/5s8UlN4umNs

vCash
    Sad for Alissa. She should have support though. Sometimes i think she looks too frail physically.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tapper88 View Post
    Thank you for this thread! I think Alissa needs all the support she can get right now.. can't imagine how she must be feeling. I really hope she doesn't give up, she's such a lovely skater. Hopefully she's been getting lots of support right now by her friends and family etc. Cynthia Phaneuf tweeted

Lovely words from a great person and so true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrufflet View Post
    Thanks all for your comments re Alissa. YOU are the people I want to hang out with at the rink. I haven't seen her performance but she is such an exquisite, classy skater usually. I had hoped for better things for her.
    She can go commiserate with Lacoste, another one I had hoped would skate better than ever before, just to prove the naysayers wrong. I feel for them both.
    Amen! I also feel like giving Jeremy & Adam hugs right now!

vCash
    It's not as if she had a bad career.
    She can quit now and still be extremely proud, go on to college and do sth else entirely...or maybe stay in skating as a coach or show skater.

How many skaters can say they are one of the best of all time at a certain element? Not many...Alissa's spins are a sight to behold. And she was 2x national champion!!!

vCash
    Chiming in with support for Alissa in her personal and skating lives, and in her search to separate the two. She seems like a lovely person and is well regarded in the skating community. There is absolutely no reason for the vitriol.

eta, iarispiralllyof, she's already a college graduate.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    I feel compelled to put in my two cents worth as well. I have adored Alissa since I first saw her, and I still do!

I believe she has already graduated from college, hasn't she? Didn't she get like perfect grades or something? I can see where that perfectionism spills over into other areas of her life.

I will continue to support whatever decisions she makes. Bless her and all of you who are being so kind and generous of spirit. She needs that right now I am sure.

vCash
    Holley, her academic credentials:

Presented with the "Outstanding Sophomore of the Year Award for International Studies" in 2006 along with the "First-Year Russian Student Award" in 2006 ... Graduated summa cum laude in May 2009 from Bowling Green State University with a degree in liberal studies ...

vCash
    I knew she had done well. Can you imagine having that superior of a college experience and skating too? She must be extremely smart as well as hard-working. I'm sure she will contribute to the world in many ways throughout her life. She has already contributed to mine through her skating.

vCash
    Those academic credentials, achieved while training as an elite athlete, do not say to me that she is a weak and fragile person.

Whatever her issues in competition are, I don't think it is that she is not a strong-willed disciplined person.

vCash
    Really really impressive. Summa cum laude. I take my hat off.

vCash
    I know a lot of strong-willed, disciplined people who freak out over stuff like having to speak in public, etc. I am pretty strong-willed and I would rather stick needles in my eye than fly in an airplane. I DO it because I'm strong willed, but it still freaks me out, and I am not at all myself until the plane lands. Don't ask me to do anything intelligent that I would normally be able to accomplish while I'm flying! I think she just isn't a competitor to the degree she needs to be - she doesn't strike me as having killer instinct, and I think killer instinct is a good thing...I just don't see her being made that way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by martyross View Post
    this i can't really understand. maybe because i'm from a country that is not much patriotic/nationalist. but, if there are only two spots for Worlds, shouldn't be skaters' business (i.e., working hard to be in the top two) rather than fans'? does it impact on their lives or something? i can't see the point even trying hard to. but i'm probably ot. maybe i should start a new thread about it.
    Fans like to see as many skaters as possible go to worlds not because it impacts their (fans) lives, but like you said, it impacts the lives of the skaters. I fet bad for Ashley that she could not go to the Olympics in 2010. Felt bad for Mirai that she did not have a chance to go to worlds in 2011 after placing 1st in the short program the prior year.

If we only had two spots in 1996, Tara L (who placed 3rd at nationals) would have never gone to the world championships and would not have been "grandfathered" into being allowed to skate at 1997 worlds. Sarah Hughes, as the third US lady on the Olympic Team would have never gone to the 2002 Olympics if we only had two spots that year.

Damn that third spot in 1996 and 2002.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    I know a lot of strong-willed, disciplined people who freak out over stuff like having to speak in public, etc. I am pretty strong-willed and I would rather stick needles in my eye than fly in an airplane. I DO it because I'm strong willed, but it still freaks me out, and I am not at all myself until the plane lands. Don't ask me to do anything intelligent that I would normally be able to accomplish while I'm flying! I think she just isn't a competitor to the degree she needs to be - she doesn't strike me as having killer instinct, and I think killer instinct is a good thing...I just don't see her being made that way.
    I get that. She's been talked about all season, though, like some sort of helpless sad little thing that needs someone to hold her hand and talk her through tying her shoes in the morning. I think she is far from that and being soft spoken and pretty is contributing to that view. She has to be a strong person or she wouldn't have that academic record or ever have fought back enough to win a national title or succeed at all.

vCash
    I suspect in a few years Alissa will look back on all of this and wonder why it seemed so important.

I remember Debi Thomas and Tiffany Chin saying at one time that they never wanted anything to do with skating again. It doesn't seem to bother them now.

vCash
    Look at Carolina. She had some nightmare performances like Alissa's FS in Nice. And finally she got her consistency now. And her free skate at Nice is so amazing. The same thing may happen to Alissa.

Though I don't know Alissa will become consistent, but I'm sure she will show us many nice performance in the future.

vCash
    Face it, the Alissa haters are jealous that she's a hottie. A headcase for certain, but a hottie nonetheless.

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UGG View Post
    Fans like to see as many skaters as possible go to worlds not because it impacts their (fans) lives, but like you said, it impacts the lives of the skaters. I fet bad for Ashley that she could not go to the Olympics in 2010. Felt bad for Mirai that she did not have a chance to go to worlds in 2011 after placing 1st in the short program the prior year.
    Yes, thank you. I'd like all hardworking, talented and motivated girls get a chance to reach their potential at worlds or the Olympics.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast