Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Even with the falls, her sp had lovely spins, and the last 10 seconds or so was lovely. I wish her well for the LP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    Even with the falls, her sp had lovely spins, and the last 10 seconds or so was lovely.
    Now that's positive thinking!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    I love Alissa. I hope she forgets everything and just skates lights out and ends her season on a high note. You can do it, Alissa. I believe in you.
    GO ALISSA!!! She's one of the loveliest skaters and I love watching her. I wish she had stronger competitive nerves, but oh well. She should be proud of all she has accomplished.

(I worry that there's something terrible going on in her personal life like her sister having cancer a while back. I earnestly hope this is not the case.)

vCash
    Alissa, go out on Saturday and skate for YOU, nothing else, skate with heart and for yourself. I believe in YOU!
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    Alissa, go out on Saturday and skate for YOU, nothing else, skate with heart and for yourself. I believe in YOU!
    No Alissa, it's I who believes in you!

vCash
    Go for it, Alissa. You are a wonderful young woman, and I feel privileged to have spent time with you. I hope the LP is everything you dreamed of.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemom2002ca View Post
    Go for it, Alissa. You are a wonderful young woman, and I feel privileged to have spent time with you. I hope the LP is everything you dreamed of.
    ^

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    100% agree. All the best Alissa.

vCash
    Many skaters who did well in competitions were nevertheless almost forgotten years later. If remembered when counting past champions, they were just remembered for the medal(s) they had won and nothing more. Most of us however remember the skaters who skated with their hearts and showed lovely artistry for the rest of our lives because they really touched our hearts and their lovely skating can be viewed many times without ever becoming boring. Alissa Czisny is that kind of skater for me, no matter what her results at Worlds are.

I feel sad about her Worlds result and honestly expected her to do well in Nice. But none of us know what was going on inside her head and how she really felt. Let's just hope she will be allright and compete again next year. Kostner had the chance to make up for Torino even though for many people it didn't matter and just watching her beautiful skating is enough. I hope Czisny will have a chance to make up for the results in Nice just for the sake of her having a positive end to her competitive career and feeling better about herself, even though many people will still love to watch her perform whatever her world standings are.

vCash
    She may be in pain actually, I feel bad for her. Her skating is beautiful, no doubt about that.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by martyross View Post
    ...in these boards people are often harsh and stalkerish toward the female skaters, maybe because being harsh on women is easier, it comes more natural. this people certainly forget that athletes are talented people who work hard almost everyday, primarly for themselves. they don't own the fans a thing and we are obviously not entitled to judge them. So instead of "What's the deal with Alissa?" i wanted to start a new thread with a different title and hopefully the fans who admire her can express here their support for this unique skater and artist. Thanks.
    I want to thank you for this thread and for your comments. Frequently, when people here are so harsh, I wonder why I continue to read and post on the board at all. But then I read posts like yours or others that support, rather than degrade these wonderful athletes; I see many fans who share their opinions in a manner that is analytical and informative rather than pompous; and so I return.

I would love to know how many of the hyper-critical "fans" would have been able to continue through that LP with the grace that Alissa did. (My bet is that many of them might go the route of "I'm having a bad day so I might as well just go have a glass of wine/beer" ) I watched that program amazed that she truly looked to me as if she never gave up when I was sure that all she wanted to really do was stop and probably crawl into bed and put the covers over her head.

My heart goes out to Alissa. I can't even imagine the h##l she is going through right now. I get so about all the she should just quit now attitudes out there. Yes, she has some soul searching to do, but Alissa needs as much support right now as she can get to help her through this. I hope that she doesn't let this performance define her as a skater or, even worse, as a person.

I hope to be able to see her skate in the future one way or another as I, for one, find her a beautiful and talented skater.

vCash
    Whatever Alissa decides to do, I wish her well. She's a talented young woman, and I've enjoyed watching her skate.

vCash
    Another thank you, for starting this thread. I saw Alissa skate in Cleveland this past Nov. (Scott Hamilton show). Her skating was absolutely breath taking, and my fav of the night. I find her such an elegant skater, and a very talented young lady. She puts such feeling into her performance, and that is something I find rare in todays skaters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Conga View Post
    I would love to know how many of the hyper-critical "fans" would have been able to continue through that LP with the grace that Alissa did. (My bet is that many of them might go the route of "I'm having a bad day so I might as well just go have a glass of wine/beer" ) I watched that program amazed that she truly looked to me as if she never gave up when I was sure that all she wanted to really do was stop and probably crawl into bed and put the covers over her head.
    yes i also think that if i had been her, after the short i would have been completely reluctant to get back two days after, to skate the Free.
    people seem to demand things from these skaters, that they themselves would be never able to do in 100 years. i don't like pointing fingers, but this happens with US fans mostly. after all, getting outraged and offending toward a skater, without even facing any consequence, is something very satisfying!
    "Before finding flaws in a great performer, do thank God for sending him to you."
    Alissa's case perfectly fits this quote. I adore her "Sabrina" program (another great Audrey Hepburn along with Tessa Virtue). And one might not love her skating and no one is forcing to do so, but at least just leave her alone, besides it's not that she has shown arrogance or something. quite the contrary.

vCash
    I'd like to support Alissa. From my heart.

On a personal level, I'm like her in a sense. Not with competitive sports but with work. I'm told how good I am at my job (or could be). I work in the legal profession. I suffer from doubts and it interferes with my ability to really shine at work. I've been seeing a therapist and just to begin overcoming these stumbling blocks, it's been around 8 years. I talk myself into feeling confident, but doubts always creep in. No matter how much I 1) identify the problem mentally, and 2) talk myself (successfully) through them, they come back at some point. Then, the mistakes happen. It's better but like I said, it's been YEARS.

Perhaps she's going through something similar. I just use myself as an example so people can understand. It doesn't go away overnight, or even quickly!

vCash
    Thank you, martyross, for starting this thread. I was not going to come on FSU for a very, very long time because I did not want to read the vitriol that I was afraid some would be spewing over Alissa's rough time at Worlds. However, I decided to peek in to see if there were any articles or interviews with her, and I found this thread. How lovely of you.

Alissa is my favorite female skater since Dorothy Hamill. Dorothy made me love skating, and Alissa made me love it again. Alissa's style and beauty is unparalleled and she seems like such a sweet person. I have particularly identified with her and the problems with nerves. They can be debilitating. It was so thrilling to see her overcome her demons last season, and I bet she can do it again.

Anyone who skates knows how hard it is and fears having a performance where you miss everything. Fortunately, most of us don't have to do it on the world stage. I hope Alissa is okay and that she has great support to get her through this tough time. And of course I hope we get to see her skate again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I'd like to support Alissa. From my heart.

On a personal level, I'm like her in a sense. Not with competitive sports but with work. I'm told how good I am at my job (or could be). I work in the legal profession. I suffer from doubts and it interferes with my ability to really shine at work. I've been seeing a therapist and just to begin overcoming these stumbling blocks, it's been around 8 years. I talk myself into feeling confident, but doubts always creep in. No matter how much I 1) identify the problem mentally, and 2) talk myself (successfully) through them, they come back at some point. Then, the mistakes happen. It's better but like I said, it's been YEARS.

Perhaps she's going through something similar. I just use myself as an example so people can understand. It doesn't go away overnight, or even quickly!
    Thanks for sharing this. What you say is so true!!

vCash
    Great to see a thread that is about being positive in some tough times for a skater.

I don't mind a little snarkiness once in a while - but the downright meanness and the attacks definitely bring me down and make me not want to come to FSU because it just depresses me.

Alissa is one of those skaters I very much love to watch because of her grace and elegance, her wonderful musicality, and her incredible spins (!!). When she skates with joy as well - it is just infectious. I am also very much in awe of her dedication to persevere despite how challenging she finds competition.

People can look at her skates here and get angry that the US spot was wasted or be angry because she can't hold it together or that she is a "headcase" but if it makes them angry and frustrated as people who have invested energy in watching her - how do they think it feels to her - the person who has put in all all the time and energy and money into all her training?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Accordion View Post
    People can look at her skates here and get angry that the US spot was wasted
    this i can't really understand. maybe because i'm from a country that is not much patriotic/nationalist. but, if there are only two spots for Worlds, shouldn't be skaters' business (i.e., working hard to be in the top two) rather than fans'? does it impact on their lives or something? i can't see the point even trying hard to. but i'm probably ot. maybe i should start a new thread about it.

vCash
    Thanks all for your comments re Alissa. YOU are the people I want to hang out with at the rink. I haven't seen her performance but she is such an exquisite, classy skater usually. I had hoped for better things for her.
    She can go commiserate with Lacoste, another one I had hoped would skate better than ever before, just to prove the naysayers wrong. I feel for them both.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast