Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Fantastic article and she is a role model.

I've watched skating a long time and I agree with Surya about Debi Thomas being a role model. I remember Debi opening the sport of figure skating to a culture that normally did not watch the sport. Debi handled herself with such grace and dignity. Debi had to deal with the same body type questions and issues that were talked about with Surya. Both had body types that were not the normal of the figure skating community at that time. I'm sure it was similar to the existing body type discrimination with the ballet community with the body type of black dancers.

I remember Surya didn't wear figure skating tights and I wondered was it because she didn't care of them or because the skating manufacturers didn't make them in her flesh color. I remember when Debi wore tights they looked like "panty hose" she bought at a drugstore.

I remember when Peggy Fleming said Surya was "exotic" looking. I was thinking huh? She's black how is that "exotic" looking. But I'll give Peggy the benefit that maybe she was referring to her makeup or dress.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    The one thing that bothered me about seeing Surya in attendance was that European or Korean hair weave she was wearing. It looked absolutely horrible sitting on top of her head. She either needs to stop wearing weaves like in her amateur days or get a weave that makes sense.

vCash
    She was definitely a personality! Her skating skills aside from jumping were not great (I do not for a moment think it was racism) but she was entertaining. I remember the kooky mother too .. and all the commentators biting their tongues when talking about her mother and you alwasy wished you knew the inside scoop. Didn't she spin some fabricated tale about where Suriya was born or something then got caught in the lie?

Suriya looks great though .. wow can't believe she is 38!

vCash
    Both Suzanne Bonaly and Didier Gailhaguet fabricated the story of Surya being born on Reunion Island and also the story that she had never cut her hair since birth. When Surya first burst onto the scene, her hair was all the way down to her back but styled for competition so that it wouldn't get in the way of the jumps and spins. This was all to make Surya more "exotic" and get noticed by the media and judges. Surya was really born in Nice and all of that hair they said she never cut was basically long hair that was braided into her existing hair.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post
    I remember Surya didn't wear figure skating tights and I wondered was it because she didn't care of them or because the skating manufacturers didn't make them in her flesh color. I remember when Debi wore tights they looked like "panty hose" she bought at a drugstore.
    Someone told me that Michelle Obama doesn't wear pantyhose.

I think she can get away with it because black skin has its own shine and you can't really tell if hose are worn or. And you don't need them because the skin already has colour - same for brown skin - whereas white skin just looks dull without hose or tights.

And really, tights/hose for white skin are not going to look good on black skin.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Someone told me that Michelle Obama doesn't wear pantyhose.

I think she can get away with it because black skin has its own shine and you can't really tell if hose are worn or. And you don't need them because the skin already has colour - same for brown skin - whereas white skin just looks dull without hose or tights.

And really, tights/hose for white skin are not going to look good on black skin.

As african american/black woman, BW need stocking and pantyhose too. First of all, dry skin shows up more on darker skin and hyperpigmentation around joints. I remember sometimes Surya's legs look ashy.

I'm just saying.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post

I remember sometimes Surya's legs look ashy.

I'm just saying.
    really? I always remembered Surya having her legs well oiled up and beautifully shiny... or maybe some of the ash from her legs flew into the judges eyes and that caused them not to see that Surya should have been the true 94 world champion. Sorry Yuka , I love you but that night was all Surya's.. I won't even talk about 93 and Oksana

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12