Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

My bunny died today

Our bunny Trixie died today -- one day shy of her sixth birthday. Unlike her companion bunny, she had been healthy from the day we adopted her as a rescue, over five years ago. Never ever sick.

Last Friday I noticed she wasn't racing over to get a treat as she usually does, and it bothered me; I made a mental note to get her a vet checkup on Monday. Saturday night I realized she definitely had eaten nothing all day (it can be hard to tell since I have two buns), so I took her to the animal hospital on an emergency basis. This started a crazy few days in which my sister and I took her back and forth to the vet, where they gave her subcutaneous fluids and prescribed antibiotics. We cradled her, administered medicine, tried to force-feed her, cleaned off the diarrhea (sorry), sang to her, tried to will her to live. All to no avail. Tuesday we had her admitted to the hospital for overnight IV fluids and medicines, figuring they were better equipped to turn things around. This morning I got a call from the vet, telling me Trixie had gotten much, much worse. The IV fluids weren't processed by her kidneys, instead they pooled around her lungs, making it difficult for her to breathe. I went to visit, and she was totally prostrate, couldn't even lift her head, let alone sit up. I knew it was over. We reluctantly authorized the vet to put her to sleep this evening. We were there, kissing and petting her while it happened. It was so hard to watch her die, even though it was quick.

I am beyond heartbroken. How does one heal a big gaping wound in one's heart? And how does one stop replaying and second-guessing all the decisions made? I truly feel like an unfit bun-mom. If only I had noticed she wasn't eating a little sooner. Then I could have gotten her to the vet a little sooner and it might have made a difference. Trixie was healthy, strong and not old. She deserved at least a few more years of frolicking around my apartment with my other bunny. They were a bonded pair and he's going to be totally lost without her.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I am so sorry, Cheylana. You did everything that you could and made sure she was with you and comfortable. You gave her a wonderful life in your home. Best to the other bunny.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    ((Cheylana))

Quadless
    vCash
    I'm truly sorry for your loss, Cheylana. It's obvious that you loved Trixie very much, so I can imagine your grief right now.

I think it's natural to replay everything and ask whether there might be anything you could have done differently, but it sounds like you did all the right things. It seems like you were very much in tune with her behavior and that you promptly took her to emergency care on Saturday as soon as you realized she had not eaten that day rather than wait until Monday to see your regular vet. I'm not sure what else you could have done.

((((((hugs))))))
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    (((((Cheylana)))))

These things happen. Don't blame yourself. You did nothing wrong. It was time for Trixie to leave this world. Remember the joy she brought you. I hope you feel better.

vCash
    So very sorry for your loss of your bunny. She sounded like she was well loved and taken care of by you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    It seems like you were very much in tune with her behavior and that you promptly took her to emergency care on Saturday as soon as you realized she had not eaten that day rather than wait until Monday to see your regular vet. I'm not sure what else you could have done.
    I could have taken her in on Friday night when I saw she didn't race over to collect her treats. Totally out of character for her. I was concerned then, but I delayed by a day. I can't help but wonder if it would have made a difference. I would give anything to go back in time and do it differently.

vCash
    I am so, so sorry.

vCash

vCash
    ((cheylana))
    There could have been a lot of reasons other than sickness why she didn't take her treat, and it doesn't mean that you were a bad owner because you didn't do something then. Please don't berate yourself - it's hard not to, but you got her the best of care as soon as you realized that something was definitely wrong, and that shows how much you loved her and were a responsible caretaker.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Here's my sweet Trixie with her companion (she's the black & white with blue eyes):

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...19486137_n.jpg

I truly appreciate all your condolences. I'll try not to beat myself up, I just love and miss her so and I can't believe she could go downhill so quickly. Can't seem to stop sobbing... I'm sorry... I guess I should head to bed.

vCash
    Cheylana,

Thanks for sharing the picture of Trixie. I am sorry for your loss. I hope you feel better.

vCash
    No Losing a pet is so devastating. Hopefully you and your little bunny will be ok. When my dog was whining a lot, I figured it was because he wanted more attention or wanted to go outside. After a while I realized he was in pain and I was so mad at myself for not figuring it out sooner. But there really isn't much we can do...animals behave in certain ways for so many reasons, it's easy to chalk it up to something common. I'm sure your bunny knew how much you loved her, and that's all that matters.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    (((Cheylana)))

Michelle and I send our deepest sympathies.

vCash
    so sorry!

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    So sorry for you.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    (((Cheylana & Trixie & companion bun)))

So sorry I went through the same doubts and second guessing when my dog died - she got a little sick and then went downhill very fast, and I stressed myself out a lot wondering how I could have done a dozen things differently and changed the outcome. The reality is that we are stewards for companions who cannot tell us exactly what they need and all we can do is our best.

I'm sure Trixie was very loved and my heart goes out to you and mr remaining bun
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I am so sorry for your loss. Heartbreaking does not start to describe it. Hugs to you.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    I'm so sorry for your loss, Cheylana
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Last Friday I noticed she wasn't racing over to get a treat as she usually does, and it bothered me; I made a mental note to get her a vet checkup on Monday. Saturday night I realized she definitely had eaten nothing all day (it can be hard to tell since I have two buns), so I took her to the animal hospital on an emergency basis.
    Don't beat yourself up about bringing her in on Friday night. Giving 24 hours to see if an unusual behaviour such as lack of appetite indicates a health problem that needs to be checked out is standard for humans as well as humans caring for animals.

I am beyond heartbroken. How does one heal a big gaping wound in one's heart?
    With time. Having other animals to love helps as well - a lot.

And how does one stop replaying and second-guessing all t
    he decisions made? I truly feel like an unfit bun-mom. If only I had noticed she wasn't eating a little sooner. Then I could have gotten her to the vet a little sooner and it might have made a difference.
    My guess it is would not have made a difference - the kidney problems you describe would likely not have been treatable if you brought her in to the vet 24 hours earlier.

I did have a situation one when a mistake me and Mr. Japanfan made might have cost a cat her life. She stopped eating for a few days on one occasion and we did not know that this could cause serious liver problems. By the time we took her in to the vet it was too late, she died a few days later at home. We didn't beat ourselves up over it, because we honestly did not know that we should have done anything differently at the time. Live and learn. Although we did mourn her, she was my favourite cat ever.

Trixie was healthy, strong and not old. She deserved at least a few more years of frolicking around my apartment with my other bunny. They were a bonded pair and he's going to be totally lost without her.
    Can a bunny re-bond with another? If so, you and bunny both deserve a new companion.

vCash
    I'm so sorry, Cheylana, but I think you did the very best you could. Trixie was a real cutie.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast