Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    ............It also helps stop "wrapping" of the crossed leg/ankle.............
    That's a tough habit to break. I know some people who's jumps were doomed from day one because they developed a wrap.

vCash
    When skaters just start learning triples they don't feel yet when to open up and land on a toe. They just go for the tightest position and getting over landing side. It comes later, after building up hight and length and enough time in the air. Some skaters still will have flat or slightly flatish landings even after mastering jumps. It is not as easy as just saying to them 'point your toes'. Sometimes it takes real effort. And some skaters just naturally have it, almost as a reflex.

vCash
    I'm confused here. Which foot in which jumps are people talking about for toes being pointed? I just have never had to think about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by treesprite View Post
    I'm confused here. Which foot in which jumps are people talking about for toes being pointed? I just have never had to think about it.
    The landing foot should be pointed. So if you jump anti-clockwise, your right foot.

vCash
    When I started doing waltz jumps, I couldn't get off the toepick after landing, and I'd end up just wiggling there with my toe stuck in the ice (I didn't have much landing speed either, which it why I didn't skid/fall) until I had to put the other foot down.

I eventually solved it by remembering to bend my ankle, instead of my waist, when I felt the toepick hit the ice. That's the way I land on a pointed toe and then glide backwards.

For my salchow, I've had a bit more of a problem with flat landings, which are rather scary, as people say. The same principle presumably applies but (until last week when I "landed" it, fingers crossed it sticks) the jump was just a bit wobbly and causing errors like that.

vCash
    I tried some Jumps when I went to the Rink (see my Trainning Reports). I think I gained some hieght.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny_Hop View Post
    For my salchow, I've had a bit more of a problem with flat landings, which are rather scary, as people say. The same principle presumably applies but (until last week when I "landed" it, fingers crossed it sticks) the jump was just a bit wobbly and causing errors like that.
    I too tend to land my Salchow on flat. Mostly when I do a bad one (which happens quite often when I had a break from skating). I think partly it can be attributed to lack of height - I hardly get of the ice when I do a bad Salchow.
    Don't have this problem so much with my waltz, toe or loop.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12