Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    Unfortunately, nowadays, a used car doesn't cost that much less than a new car. We went car shopping last year, and no way were we going to buy a used car with 20K-30K miles for a few thousand less than a new car.
    Hmm, I bought a used car recently, and it only had 20,000 miles on it. It cost less than a quarter of a brand new car. Granted I can be fairly good at bargaining on such things, but still.

vCash
    I just did a search on cars.com in my area for Honda Accords. A new 2012 EX-L seems to cost between $27.50k to $32.5k, depending on options. A 2011 EX-L range from $24.9k to about $28k. The lowest-priced ones tend to have about 15k miles, though one at that price had 45k miles .

Also, used cars often have lesser warranties, dealers often give incentives on new cars, and financing is often easier for new cars. Those factors can offset some of the cost savings for buying used.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    Hmm, I bought a used car recently, and it only had 20,000 miles on it. It cost less than a quarter of a brand new car. Granted I can be fairly good at bargaining on such things, but still.
    It depends on the used car you buy. If you are going for a small Honda with low miles that gets good gas mileage, then you are going to pay a lot for it. We just bought a used Fit for our kids, and we paid just a few thousand less than what a new one would cost--and we got a great deal on it compared to others that we looked at. We looked a long time before we found one we considered any kind of deal. Even buying from a private seller as opposed to a dealer (we bought from a dealer because the car was certified and thus had a warranty) doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

It also depends on what car sales in your area are like. I live in an area where used car sales are pretty brisk--we went to look at six cars in a row last Saturday that had sold that day--and so there isn't a lot of wiggle room for negotiating. And at all of those lots, we were told that they had nothing else in stock that would meet our needs.

As for the list, I've done everything on the list except buy jewelry at a pawn shop--adopted pets, bought my kids used clothes and toys, rented a bridesmaid dress, etc. I've even bought upholstered furniture, although always from people I know. I have the same reaction to this list I have to most--duh. I mean, really, if you are inclined to buying used things, you don't need a list like this, and if you aren't, then it serves no purpose.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    It depends on the used car you buy.
    True. I should say all the cars I've bought have been from US automakers. I suspect the price decline is higher.
    Even buying from a private seller as opposed to a dealer (we bought from a dealer because the car was certified and thus had a warranty) doesn't make a whole lot of difference.
    I bought one from a dealer, and everything else from private sellers. IME, you can get a way better deal with private sellers than you can with a dealership. Like, half the cost sometimes.

Also true about location being a factor.

I've had very good luck with used cars (low mileage, low prices, few problems). I realize that's not the case for everyone though.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    IME, you can get a way better deal with private sellers than you can with a dealership. Like, half the cost sometimes.
    I thought that was true in the past, but my experience buying a car this time has been that for the kind of car we were looking for, private sellers were asking retail (and some MORE than retail) and were not willing to negotiate.

If I am going to pay retail, I want a car that I can return, with a warranty, new tires, and a full tank of gas, and I want it detailed.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I know some people who talk endlessly about how buying a new vehicle is the worst purchase you will ever make but I just don't see it. A new car is expensive but no one says you have to go buy the $30,000 SUV. There are plenty of vehicles that are trustworthy, have good gas mileage, etc for around $20,000 If you take care of your vehicle you should go a long time before you have to put more money into it. A used car is already to that point (often times) and there is no telling when you will need to turn around and invest thousands to keep it running. The used cars that are not very old are still being sold for a very high amount so you might as well get the new one with a warranty! If cars lose so much value the moment they leave the lot, when will used car prices begin reflecting that?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I bought a few used cars in my youth but my husband and I buy strictly new now and we drive them until they die. Might be different if we were buying one for the kids but that never happened. Our philosophy was - want a car? Get a job, a friend with a car or learn the public transit system really well. Terrible parents, I know, but it worked for us. If we had ever lived in the middle of nowhere that may have changed - don't know.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    I bought a few used cars in my youth but my husband and I buy strictly new now and we drive them until they die. Might be different if we were buying one for the kids but that never happened. Our philosophy was - want a car? Get a job, a friend with a car or learn the public transit system really well. Terrible parents, I know, but it worked for us. If we had ever lived in the middle of nowhere that may have changed - don't know.
    Trust me, it would have. I live in the capital of Louisiana but there is next to no public transportation around here. The bus system is horrible and you can spend hours getting from one part of the city to the other. Not to mention cities down here are much more spread out than in other parts of the country. Not having a vehicle is just not an option if you want to work and not be dependent on government assistance. The only option would be a friend who will constantly give you rides but how likely is that? We also have some of the highest insurance rates in the country so that doesn't help.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Trust me, it would have. I live in the capital of Louisiana but there is next to no public transportation around here. The bus system is horrible and you can spend hours getting from one part of the city to the other. Not to mention cities down here are much more spread out than in other parts of the country. Not having a vehicle is just not an option if you want to work and not be dependent on government assistance. The only option would be a friend who will constantly give you rides but how likely is that? We also have some of the highest insurance rates in the country so that doesn't help.
    I'm talking about teenaged kids in high school.
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    I'm talking about teenaged kids in high school.
    Oh, I know. Even things like a trip to the mall can take an hour and a half travel time depending on the time of day. Would you want to make that drive after a long day at work knowing it will take the rest of your evening? lol
    -Brian

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    My last three cars have been "barely used" or, in the case of my current one, a dealer model with 6000 miles on it (and loaded with all the options.) That's the best bet in cars.

Be careful with toys, though, because without buying them new you won't be aware of recalls for safety reasons.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Oh, I know. Even things like a trip to the mall can take an hour and a half travel time depending on the time of day. Would you want to make that drive after a long day at work knowing it will take the rest of your evening? lol
    Would I? Probably not but for the kids we never thought "go to the mall on demand" was a priority. We all managed and they had an active enough social life.
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    I would never buy a use car, I have been burned once too many times.

vCash
    Even things like a trip to the mall can take an hour and a half travel time depending on the time of day. Would you want to make that drive after a long day at work knowing it will take the rest of your evening? lol
    Driving after a long day at work implies trips to the mall would happen during the work week, and during the work week kids should be home studying--not running off to play around at the mall.

Signed,

Tiger mom
    xoxox

vCash
    Driving after a long day at work implies trips to the mall would happen during the work week, and during the work week kids should be home studying--not running off to play around at the mall.

Signed,

Tiger mom
    xoxox
    Teens should only go to the mall when they have something specific to purchase and the money to purchase said item. This is likely not to happen more than a few times per year. Malls are not playgrounds or places to hang out.

Signed
    Tiger mom two
    xxxooo
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Love the Tiger Mom signatures.
    -Brian

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I know some people who talk endlessly about how buying a new vehicle is the worst purchase you will ever make but I just don't see it.
    I do. In fact, I read a report recently about bankruptcies that said that most personal financial disasters begin with the purchase of a new car.

A new car is expensive but no one says you have to go buy the $30,000 SUV. There are plenty of vehicles that are trustworthy, have good gas mileage, etc for around $20,000
    at the idea of spending $20K on a car (although my car cost almost that much). My husband and I have financed one car since we've been married, and he financed one before that; otherwise, we have bought our cars outright.

Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    My last three cars have been "barely used" or, in the case of my current one, a dealer model with 6000 miles on it (and loaded with all the options.) That's the best bet in cars.
    That's as close as I have ever come or can ever see myself coming to buying a brand-new car. I have always bought used cars and haven't spent thousands on repairing any of them. But even if I had, I find it hard to believe that I would spend more in repairs than I would have in interest, tax and insurance.

vCash
    Meh, to pretty much the entire list. If you've got the time (i.e. retired, and/or with a partner to share add'l burdens), then used anything may be just fine and dandy. But, I'm single, and I'm very busy, so ...

Used things = too much unknown for moi, who barely manages to get "standard/non emergency" things done each week. I'd rather put some extre time and effort into making money to afford new things, than worry about "what may go wrong"/deal with "what went wrong" with the used crap.

And this includes dogs! I do my part to $upport ASPCA endeavors, and will probably go the shelter route when I'm retired. But, I HAD to know exactly what I was getting when I got my [then one] dog in 2006. Tens of hours of research on type, size, personality traits, penchant for barking, digging, being alone for work days, etc., identified the breed I should have -- Whippet -- and then I went and got one. Don't guilt me about this, sob sister, as I did look for a "previously owned" one ... there just aren't too many Whippies out there who end up discarded. (Awesome dogs that they are. )

Used car? Probably not, but perhaps if this friend I know continues to tire of his "old" [3 years old], and make good on his threat to unload it for cheap, I might bite.

Used furniture? Tables - yes, definitely co-sign on that. Furniture with cushions and fabric? Never.

vCash
    Don't agree with pets. I have no disagreement with people rescuing animals. But, many of those animals wind up being very costly due to maltreatment and poor health. So, as far as cost, it may not be a "deal".

Personally, I prefer going to a breeder, for health reasons.

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    at the idea of spending $20K on a car (although my car cost almost that much).
    Doesn't the second contradict the first? What's the gain in buying a used car if you could have a new one for a very similar price? Unless you bought a 3-year Lamborghini for "almost" $20K. I that case, congratulations.

My husband and I have financed one car since we've been married, and he financed one before that; otherwise, we have bought our cars outright.
    That's what I'm planning to do, too.

I'm not a car person. I want a brand new car so I don't have a problem with it right from the start. I also plan to keep the car as long as I can = make the money last. With a used car you never know what really happened to that car and you have a bigger chance that something will go wrong sooner than later. If buying a new car buys me a few more years of being stress-free, that makes it worth it for me. It's also much harder to find a good used car than a good new car, and as many people already said, good used cars don't cost that much less than new ones. Every person needs to decide for themselves what they value the most.

My family has bought both used and new cars in the past, and while both had its advantages, the last 2 cars bought were new, we still have them, and now mine is going to be the third new one. The biggest advantage of a used car - less $ spent at the moment. If money is an issue, buy a used car. If you can afford it and plan to keep the car as long as you can, buying a new one is, IMO, better. I'd say, the 99' Toyota I'm driving now (bought new) has cost the least money in the long run. The most expensive was a used Ford Taurus: it didn't last long and cost major $ for repairs.

As for other things, I would never buy used jewelry. Jewelry is very personal to me, I wouldn't want to wear someone else's. Toys? Eww. I've bought used furniture. But I like new furniture more.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast