View Poll Results: Freeskating Skills: Patrick Chan Vs David Jenkins, who wins?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash

Freeskating Skills: Patrick Chan Vs David Jenkins, who wins?

Freeskating Skills: Patrick Chan Vs David Jenkins, who wins?

Patrick Chan

David Jenkins
    Last edited by bardtoob; 03-28-2012 at 02:03 AM.

vCash
    Purple!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    i was biased and voted for david. however i have a problem with this question for 2 reason
    one is
    david skated under old 6's and figures well figures counted more than freeskate and
    david didn't have to do quad etc
    like patrick does, however cop doesn't encourage flow, and edges -you can take of and land on flat of blade and counts. patrick doesn't hold his edges when he lands his jumps, he wobble, bobble and a few landings.
    so i picked david because he didn't ave the time to clean up jumps they focused on figures.

2)patrick can seem only to skate well (without) mistakes at his nationals -why no pressure, he knows they will hold him up regardless.
    they was no flow on jumps so many

3) too different systems to different styles,
    each would do what had to under both systems --cant compare
    also don't take off enough for patrick foibles. they ignore them

vCash
    Very difficult to compare.
    But I'd say Patrick CHan, since his edges are amazing, so is his speed. Plus, he has the modern elegance that David didn't have.

vCash
    Patrick has more technical difficulty because he is several generations later, but I see a lot of similarity in their styles. They are both strong and skate with a lot of speed but look a little out of control at times.

Patrick has better spin positions and lines. Jenkins camel position and split jumps are ugly, very poor stretch. I think in 1960 it was considered effeminate for the men to use their arms in choreography so he looks stiff in the upper body. The video quality may also be making his skating look jerkier than it actually was. Jenkins jumps are very big and his air postion is relatively loose, I think if he tightened it up he could add revolutions.

It's hard to say how Patrick would have developed in 1960 or Jenkins would have in 2012. They are each a product of their times.

ETA: I just realized that Jenkins is skating outdoors and the spectators are wearing furs - extreme cold will certainly inhibit your stretch and make you tight, especially if he has been waiting around a long time to skate.
    Last edited by aliceanne; 03-28-2012 at 07:43 PM.

vCash
    patrick is what a hothouse skater. different type of skating inside and outside.