vCash

Canadian Miss Universe Contestant Banned from Pageant: She's Transgendered!

She has all the makings of a beauty queen — a thin frame, flowing hair, pearly-white teeth and bubbly personality to boot.

But that she was born male had Vancouver's Jenna Talackova, 23, ousted from one of the country’s top beauty competitions and set off a debate over whether a beauty pageant has the right to decide what is female.

“This is a major case in beauty contest history,” said Patrizia Gentile, a Carleton University professor who wrote her PhD thesis on Canadian beauty pageants. “They’re reluctant to take chances, but if they want to be relevant, they have to.”
    Miss Canada Universe contest, born a man, banned from competing in pageant

I wonder had she gone through the courts, would she have been successful?
    And since Donald Trump owns the Miss Universe pageant and is known not to be that tolerant of the LGBT community, we shouldn't even be surprised.

Discuss.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    You know something? I saw Jenna last night on CTV National News and ITA w/her. This goes beyond silly and stupid. First I heard of all of this and I was both disgusted and at the whole thing.

However, as you rightly said Rex, we are talking about an organization run by Donald Trump, so...

I think the real reason is she's a gorgeous woman and would have won the Miss Universe Canada title. What a shame this even happened.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    You know something? I saw Jenna last night on CTV National News and ITA w/her. This goes beyond silly and stupid. First I heard of all of this and I was both disgusted and at the whole thing.

However, as you rightly said Rex, we are talking about an organization run by Donald Trump, so...

I think the real reason is she's a gorgeous woman and would have won the Miss Universe Canada title. What a shame this even happened.
    I say let her compete. Pageants have been losing their relevance for years now because they have been so out of touch IMO. I think allowing transgender women to compete could draw interest. Of course, there is a conservative element in the pageant world, at least in the USA, who frown on such things. Not just The Donald...

Watch me move
    vCash
    If she wins Miss Universe she has to date The Donald He probably doesn't want to go out with someone who isn't a "real" woman.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    If she wins Miss Universe she has to date The Donald He probably doesn't want to go out with someone who isn't a "real" woman.
    She's no better or no worse than Ivana or Marla or his current wife, all who have been nipped and tucked within an inch of their lives. So have a lot of the contestants in these pageants, when you think about it.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    She's no better or no worse than Ivana or Marla or his current wife, all who have been nipped and tucked within an inch of their lives. So have a lot of the contestants in these pageants, when you think about it.
    But they haven't been nipped and tucked in the same places that this lady has

(j/k, I think it's a stupid decision too. I'm betting that the pageant organizers were just afraid that their pageant would look like even more of a joke if a former man won over all the girlie beauties.)
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    She's no better or no worse than Ivana or Marla or his current wife, all who have been nipped and tucked within an inch of their lives.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    But they haven't been nipped and tucked in the same places that this lady has
    What she's doing...it takes balls.

Maybe, just maybe, this will implement some change at least.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    I love Jenna. She reminds me of Lisa Kudrow.

waiting for Spring :(
    vCash
    she really is pretty.. too bad but maybe it can lead to some changes as legally our system ensures the same treatment.. but then again this is the world of beauty pageants.. not that long ago they wouldn't allow Jewish women to compete and before that - only 'virgins' were allowed to compete - one can only hope the pageant people become more enlightened..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    she really is pretty..
    IMO she's better looking than the "real, authentic" women who are allowed in the pageants...

vCash
    I don't know how I feel about it. I don't care much about beauty pagents anyway so it's hard for me to imagine why anyone would go to that much trouble over one.

Far as transgendered people are concerned, if anyone is willing to endure that much elective surgery and hormone treatment they've earned the right to be considered whatever sex they are trying to be. I could never do it.

vCash
    Based on the rule "Natural born female" she does not qualify to compete. I am sure she can live a normal life as a woman. That should be her desire. Everyone does not have to compete in a beauty pageant to get fulfillment in life.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    I love Jenna. She reminds me of Lisa Kudrow.
    I thought so to! Before even playing the video I said she looked like "Phoebe".

She's feckin' gorgeous. Hell I'd kill to look even half that good!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Based on the rule "Natural born female" she does not qualify to compete.
    No, but it seems like a stupid rule. I can understand a rape relief center not hiring a transgender woman because she grew up with male privilege and because clients might not be comfortable with her - there was legal case here about that and the trans woman wasn't allowed to work at the center. Though, I question the decision actually.

But a beauty pageant is all about superficial appearances anyway. And most of the contestants have had their natural appearance artificially altered.

I am sure she can live a normal life as a woman. That should be her desire. Everyone does not have to compete in a beauty pageant to get fulfillment in life.
    Amen to that.

vCash
    Based on the rule "Natural born female" she does not qualify to compete. I am sure she can live a normal life as a woman. That should be her desire.
    I don't think it's anyone's place to tell someone what their own desires should be. The question is simply that yes there is a rule in place, but is that rule discriminatory, and if it is should it be changed to be more fair.

Everyone does not have to compete in a beauty pageant to get fulfillment in life.
    True, but in this case Jenna obvioulsy did want to enter the beauty pageant, and if the only reason she isn't allowed to enter is because of an outdated discriminatory rule, then it is definitely worth discussing if it leads to a change in those rules.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    she really is pretty.. too bad but maybe it can lead to some changes as legally our system ensures the same treatment.. but then again this is the world of beauty pageants.. not that long ago they wouldn't allow Jewish women to compete and before that - only 'virgins' were allowed to compete - one can only hope the pageant people become more enlightened..
    IIRC, the first Jewish Miss America Bess Myerson, received death threats after she won.

One of the early rules, Rule No. 7 in the Miss America Pageant was that contestants "be of good health and OF the white race". That rule was not shot down until the 1960s. One of the opponents of this rule was a former Miss America from the South, Yolande Betbeze.