Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

vCash
    Ha ha it had that John Slattery flavour about it.

I hope when the DVD comes out they do commentary on that episode.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Someone has done a clip about Betty putting on weight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulC0Lerkkbc
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    I can't stand Trudy. But I can't stand Pete either. Those two are made for each other.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Did anyone else catch how Ken's story at the end related directly to Pete? It went directly from the elevator scene where Pete says "I have nothing", to Ken's story which I quote, was

“There were phrases of Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony that still made Coe cry. He always thought it had to do with the circumstances of the composition itself. He imagined Beethoven deaf and soul-sick, his heart broken, scribbling furiously while Death stood in the doorway, clipping his nails. Still, Coe thought, it might have been living in the country that was making him cry. It was killing him with its silence and loneliness, making everything ordinary too beautiful to bear.”
    All the time they were showing images of Pete. Did anyone else think we might see a suicide attempt from him? He's really unhappy in the suburbs/country/out of the city (wherever he is!). I think he envies Don for having gone back in.

Totally loved the fight. Hilarious! Missed Megan's comment but just went back and watched it. Hmm. "It's impossible". Could mean anything, but I somehow think we'll hear more about that.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    If last night's epsiode was meant to resemble an acid (or other drug-induced) trip, then it was successful. It was a WTF kind of episode, and for me not in a good way. I did like the end when Don was trying (once again) to hold onto dear life that which is keeping him on the straight and narrow path - i.e. Megan (who keeps impressing me more and more).

I did LOL with all the love of Howard Johnson. My parents loved those places and it was very hip in the 60s.

vCash
    Very strange episode indeed. Although I did like the three stories showing what had happened to each at the same time.

vCash
    I kept thinking Megan was going to announce that she was pregnant...(even though she said last week it "wasn't possible" in the car with Don)
    Last edited by Stefanie; 04-23-2012 at 06:34 PM.

vCash
    I don't even know what to think about the episode. It definitely felt like a trip. It was rather surreal.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    i.e. Megan (who keeps impressing me more and more).
    Agreed. I started out hating her, but I quite like how she stands up to Don when he's a total asshole to her.

vCash
    Jessica Pare has turned a minor role into a wonderful supporting role, making her character far more complex than expected. Hope to see lots more of Megan throughout this season.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    Agreed. I started out hating her, but I quite like how she stands up to Don when he's a total asshole to her.
    Same here. When she told Don he was a pig, I wanted to stand and cheer.
    On the other hand, if she straightens him out too much, will the series lose its center?

All these characters are something else. One week they're decent, the next they're disgusting. Even Peggy makes me think she's an idiot at times. I want them to be decent, but they're more interesting when they're not. The only one who hasn't ever disappointed me is Joan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    So do I. I also admit to not liking her at first but she really is strong. As we can see though, this is already starting to cause cracks in the relationship. I'm sure Don is just as surprised as we are that Megan can stand her ground. I think it really rattles him. The scene where he chases her around the apartment was disturbing and rather abusive. I wondered what would've happened if they hadn't tripped. He clearly had her in his grasp. I hope he doesn't become abusive.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    I don't think so. Don is the anchor of the show. It would alienate the audience to have him turn physically abusive. I think we're just continuing to see the character struggle to change his spots. In many ways I believe Don recognizes that Roger's 2nd marriage to a young trophy wife was a flight of foolishness on Roger's part. Don clearly doesn't want from Megan what Roger has with Jane. He obviously likes many aspects of his more honest marriage to Megan. But being with her forces him to also examine parts of himself that he likes to keep hidden. So it's double-edged sword in some ways. I believe Megan really loves Don and is not going to back down from challenging him.

vCash
    Don has always been borderline abusive. Betty always seemed to know when to back down... something she may have learned the hard way. And that scene where he "put Bobbie in line" in the rest room was scary. Don is a tightly would spring and has always been one second from total meltdown IMHO. it's who he is.

vCash
    There was also when Betty told him she wanted a divorce. She got accused of screwing around behind his back and he was very rough. Pot calling the kettle black. I am not sure the relationship is going to last because Megan is very strong.

I think Megan is also representative of how women were changing and gaining more independence in those times. And then how someone like Don deals with it.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Wow. Mad Men was DEEP tonight! Megan's storyline is getting very interesting indeed . . .
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Poor Sally having to see her "date" with her stepgrandmother...Imagine the director having to explain that scene to Kiernan Shipka...she's only 12 like the character she plays. Although I guess a lot of kids know more about that stuff at this age than I ever did when I was young.

vCash
    She might not have actually seen anything depending on how it was filmed. They could have just cut the footage to make it look like she was standing in the doorway with them in the room, but it could have been shot separately.

Anyways, the last 5 minutes were pretty funny. "Dirty!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
    Poor Sally having to see her "date" with her stepgrandmother...Imagine the director having to explain that scene to Kiernan Shipka...she's only 12 like the character she plays. Although I guess a lot of kids know more about that stuff at this age than I ever did when I was young.
    I doubt the actress saw anything but an empty room and was provided direction that she saw something strange. I read the actress's parents have not let her watch an episode of the show.

I do like Roger with Sally - pretty funny. Roger has been so great this season. Doesn't LSD release your creativity? I wonder if he will do something great. In the past he has been more the partier, but they seem to be showing his job talents more this season. Which is nice, he could of become too much of a joke.

I love how Joan and Peggy are friends. Such a nice progression from season 1.

Side note - I saw 'The 5 Year Engagement' this past weekend. Alison Brie, aka Trudy, plays Emily Blunts sister and she was great! Movie was really good too.

vCash
    Poor Peggy. Works hard and yet struggles because of love, work, family, etc. I imagine the average Joe/Jane in 1966 would've had 'issues' with his or her daughter 'shacking up' and also would've grumbled about the Jew/Gentile facet of the relationship. Then again, Peggy's mom probably considers Peggy a little irresponsible due to events in Season 1. They need to revisit that story line! Where's the kid?

Love to see Peggy and Joan on friendly terms and love Joan for supporting her.

Was that Juliette Binoche playing Megan's Mom?

Was Stan (I think that is his name) considered beefcake back in '66? His clothes are bit .. snug and he's kind of a pig. I think he must represent the lack of attention to office place sexual harrassment / hostile work environment in those days?

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast