Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Katarzyna View Post
    The Becks were actually an Austrian ice dance couple.

They were 5th at OG in 1988 and were ranked around top 5 at Euros and Worlds. They peaked when I started to watch figure skating on TV. I was a little girl that time, but I still remember them.

Well, those were the glory days when Austria still had some topskaters.
    Thanks for the correction.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Thanks for the correction.
    You are welcome! With the current state of Austrian figure skating I understand that first thought of everyone is that they were Germans.

Quote Originally Posted by 5Ali3 View Post
    FWIW, I checked the wikipedia records for Russian and Soviet Nationals, and the only possible brother/sister team that I found was Raisa and Alexander Gandelsman, who won in 1937 and 1939, also medaled in 1933 and 1941.
    I remember one Russian brother / sister team: Pavlova / Pavlov. They skated at Junior Worlds Level and placed top 10 at RN in the late 90ies. But Elena Pavlova quit skating when she got married to Sasha Abt. - Just came to my mind when posting on another thread.

However, looks like the brother / sister combination was not very common in the Soviet Union / Russia.

vCash
    I seem to recall that there was a brother/sister dance team who were actually from Germany and also skated in the 1988 Olympics. Their names were Bechera and Bechera and they were twins.

vCash
    Becherer

There were four brother-sister dance teams at the 1988 Olympics.

Garossinos

vCash
    Last edited by skatesindreams; 04-11-2012 at 05:20 PM. Reason: to add links

vCash
    The Jelineks were in the first Ice Show I ever saw. It was the Ice Capades and must have been the year they won Worlds because they were wearing those white costumes. I was 8 and my brother was 6, and I was so amazed that anyone could skate with their brother without getting into a fight!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rhumba View Post
    The German dance team, Hermann.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5Ali3 View Post
    Brother/sister pairs face a number of challenges that unrelated pairs don't, ..but a key limitation that no one has mentioned yet is genetics
    But Ma and Pa Hermann sure do make them pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post
    This happened with Dylan and Kira Moscovitch. Granted, she retired from injuries, but the writing was on the wall.
    She was too tall for him, but it was tragic when she had to quit. She had beautiful lines and would have looked exquisite with Eric Radford.

Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    The Kerrs are an example of a team that has sex appeal in spite of the fact that they are brother/sister.
    That's because they did that Patrick Swayze/Cynthia Rhodes "Dirty Dancing" thing, when they were trying to sell dance lessons: she was promising to all the men in the crowd, and he was promising to all of the women in the crowd.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Sandra & Val Bezic can be added to the list.

vCash
    Leslie and Cedric Monod of Switzerland haven't been mentioned yet, I think. They were pairs skaters and competed in the late 80s/early 90s. They were very young, I don't know if they competed at senior level.

vCash

vCash
    Let's not forget the Beiers from Germany! (Christina and William--Ice Dance--lots of voids there...)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Ludington competed with his now-wife.

Think you mean "ex"- wife. His current wife is almost 30yrs younger than him.

vCash
    Here's another example of a brother/sister pair who teamed up early but didn't last perhaps again due to a growth spurt:

Katja and Knut Schubert - 1974 East German Championships

Knut Schubert would later team up with Birgit Lorenz to win 2 national championships and 2 European medals. He now coaches Vartmann and Van Cleave (who were 14th at this year's worlds).

vCash
    deleted

vCash
    Tracy and Scott Prussack 1976 US Jr Pair champions. They were the first team to land side by side triple toeloops. She got injured unfortunately after they moved up to Senior.

vCash
    Tracy and Scott Prussack 1976 US Jr Pair champions. They were the first team to land side by side triple toeloops. She got injured unfortunately after they moved up to Senior.
    Actually in 1975 there where 4 brother sister pairs in juniors at the US Nationals. The Mitchells were first, Marrons were third, Prussacks were fourth, and Carruthers were ninth. It was really a three way tie for first between Mitchells, Mills/Kirby, and Marrons.

Also...I believe that the Prussacks tried side by side triple salchows during the exhibition at the 1976 championships at the old Broadmoor rink in Colorado Springs.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    Danielle & Stephen Carr, were the 19 - time national champions of Australia. They skated to a great range of music during their international competitive career. Here are some examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UGbnzjSgpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7fgGMSzyLE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6YCnvwlOf8

Wow, 19 times! Or did they just not have much competiton? (But still!!!)
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    The Hugentoblers from Switzerland (ice-dance).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post

Wow, 19 times! Or did they just not have much competiton? (But still!!!)
    I don't think there's much competition in Australia, from watching the Australian skaters from 4CC. Although Danielle O'Brien and Gregory Merriman, the current ice dance champions, are decent. Their predecessors though, Maria and Evgeny Borounov, weren't much to write home about.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I don't think there's much competition in Australia, from watching the Australian skaters from 4CC. Although Danielle O'Brien and Gregory Merriman, the current ice dance champions, are decent. Their predecessors though, Maria and Evgeny Borounov, weren't much to write home about.
    I think Australian names sound so cute!!!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast