Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I don't consider Chan as a mentally tough competitor. He has fallen so many times in his programs. The thing is just that it doesn't matter in this current judging system.

vCash
    Israeli sports editors have never met a pun they didn't like, but even they wouldn't go this far. Seriously, isn't there enough positive stuff to be written about Patrick Chan without resorting to this?

But Chan is so not in Takahashi's league, IN-wise.

Also:
    The middle of an Olympiad is when the oil stick starts to give a more accurate reading and it’s sure got a lot to say about Patrick Chan.
    2008 podium: Buttle, Joubert, Weir.
    Olympic podium: not Buttle, Joubert or Weir.

He’s so artistic he could make a Stevedore cry... he’s got that rebellious triple axel sitting up straight with its hands folded on its lap.

vCash
    Maybe this article is in response to the article "Takahashi Can Topple Chan, Warns Japan Skating Chief" in the K&C section.

I could not read the entire article especially when I realized what six inches they were talking about.

vCash
    So much HATE here, really. Wow, so an article can't praise Chan now? Seriously, some of your hate about Chan has no bound. Yeah, it's too bad your fave skaters can't win as many as Chan...so I guess the hate gotta be Chan, how can he keep beating out your fave skaters right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jettasian View Post
    So much HATE here, really. Wow, so an article can't praise Chan now? Seriously, some of your hate about Chan has no bound. Yeah, it's too bad your fave skaters can't win as many as Chan...so I guess the hate gotta be Chan, how can he keep beating out your fave skaters right?
    I don't think everyone hates Chan, the OTT hype is

vCash
    Hype is generated by the media, IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CHAN. Any media can write whatever they want. But as always, haters just like to find any excuse to jab at Chan any chance they get.

The writer loves Chan's artistry, SO DO MANY OTHER PEOPLE. It's no difference than other people love Dai's artistry. Different people have different taste. So what make people who like Dai's artistry correct, but not the people who prefer Chan's artistry?

It shows nothing but their bitterness.

And based on last world and 4CC, Chan WAS a league on his own! His first place was so far ahead of the second place.
    Last edited by jettasian; 03-24-2012 at 09:34 PM.

vCash
    I'd like the article better if it were titled "Chan conquers hardest six inches".

vCash
    Six inches? I'm not impressed...
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_toe View Post
    I'd like the article better if it were titled "Chan conquers hardest six inches".
    ^^

Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    That is like saying that an overinflated self-centred article by Phil Hersh is representative of all American journalists' writing.

It's one article by one writer. It's not even representative of how the majority of Canadian sports journalists write, not to mention Canadian journalists in general.

And not to further defend a bad article, but it's not a news article. It's clearly an opinion piece, so the writer's bias is naturally going to show in it.
    I wouldn't even call it "bias" ... "drivel" might be a better descriptor. The Chanuck opinionator, Milton, writes like an uber Chan gang fan run amok. Not much of anything is showing except the opinionator's wild and clueless imagination, and his overwrought superhero fs Chanorgasm.

Granted Phil Hersh can claim title "cream of the crap, top of the heap" when it comes to U.S. fs sports writers (but there are not a lot of sports writers "gnawing at the bit" to cover the fs beat -- there are a few U.S. sports writers who have written fairly well on occasion about fs, but the occasions are so few and far between). While Hersh often exhibits an outsize ego and is not averse to employing the odd cliches and annoying over-hyped phraseologies at times, he does at least make an effort to control himself and try to remember some fundamentals of what he might have learned about journalistic writing in general. Too often Hersh approaches writing about fs from the perspective of writing about other sports -- in that he errs and errs greatly.

Still, despite the nationalistic tendencies of most sports writers, Chan generally seems to be written about with respect by U.S. sports writers (not that most of them know a lot about or pay much attention to fs). In contrast, Milton is way off base dumping on Chan's competitors. As far as other Canadian sports writers, I've read plenty of Canuck hype about Chan's mad SS and superhero non-gay status, not to mention the rush by many in the Canadian media to pamper Chan and take him off the backlash hook post Reuters' claptrap/ potshot/ backstabbing -- albeit Chan gave the Reuters reporter a knife and lots of ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    ... Seriously, isn't there enough positive stuff to be written about Patrick Chan without resorting to this? ...
    Question of the season, or of the Olympiad quadrennial perhaps? Will it ever be time to stop pampering and puffing Chan up? When will it be time to take off the training wheels, and allow Chan to steer by himself? With his superb SS and enviable blades, ice coverage and balance, and w/o the 20-pt handicap and holding up on PCS, he might be able to grow into a more complete skater, not to mention gain maturity through overcoming and learning from his mistakes. Being consistently rewarded when he makes mistakes is not good for Chan or the sport. Neither will it be good for Chan's own peace of mind when his fs days are behind him.

Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    ... Chan is so not in Takahashi's league, IN-wise.
    ISU judges have proven over and over again they don't care, cuz Chan's SS and quad mastery combined have apparently blown judges' minds and taken on a life of ITS own ... no matter that IT may be eating the sport alive and a Chantastrophe may loom. Even tho' IT may be eating him alive too, Chan has nothing to do with this situation b/c he doesn't give himself scores. Just like his competitors, he can only train hard, prepare himself for competition and skate (despite in Chan's case it not mattering much how well or how poorly he skates -- and since Chan tends to skate better later in the season, the judges are quite happy cuz this makes them Chantified ). By hook or by crook or Chantastrophe, PC will be the next Olympic champion. Figure skating Gods in the superhero Chantasy have spoken.

jettasian, Who Me? Despite all the that Milton's "opinions" have wrought, I don't hate Patrick Chan. I do dislike the way PChid's SS have taken on a life of ITs own. No matter, Chan is simply a pawn in the oversize drama that is FS. All the skaters are pawns. They have no choice but to ignore the media, TPTB, and the judging as best they can and get on with things as best they can. The lucky ones are able to hold onto and remember the joy and love of the feeling of flight that is the reason why they learned how to skate in the first place. Some skaters receive the icing on the cake, some don't. In the end, few fans remember who won w/o looking it up. In the end, it doesn't matter who wins. It matters who a skater touched through their skating. I remember Matt Savoie's skating at the 2006 Olympics, not who won. What matters to me is how I feel when I watch the skaters who move me with their artistry, courage, grace, musicality, and their athleticism.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Bah. This thread isn't about what I thought it was about.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_toe View Post
    This image is
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Well, initially I thought the "six inches" could have been referring to the length of his fs blades, but I immediately flung out that notion. Chan's mastery of his blades supercedes his rise to dominance; that is a given. The ending of the opinion-piece was quite anticlimactic, and rang of hype as well, not unlike everything else Milton had to say:
    "Chan seems to have conquered the toughest six inches in sport, which is between the ears." I doubt that is a uniform measurement, plus that space seems to have more to do with the nasal passages, rather than mind over matter (which Milton awkwardly seems to be referencing). In any case, Chan's conquering of the mental aspect of competition (just as with any athlete) remains to be seen, each time he skates onto the ice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Six inches? I'm not impressed...
    He's a 5 foot 7 asian figure skater...what do you expect?

This thread title

vCash
    Or the article could be called "Six inches is all it takes".

I am having "Are you being served" flashbacks with this thread.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    In any case, Chan's conquering of the mental aspect of competition (just as with any athlete) remains to be seen, each time he skates onto the ice.
    Yes, it's more difficult being the hunted than being the hunter. The last skaters in all figure skating disciplines on the senior level who successfully defended a World Championship title are: Stephane Lambiel in 2006, Michelle Kwan in 2001, Savchenko/Szolkowy in 2009, and Denkova/Staviski in 2007. Chan has a big test next week as he will be attempting to defend his first World title, a feat that many great legends of the sport could not achieve.

vCash
    I've asked it before, and I'm asking it again - why can't we have a BARF smilie?

It would come in so handy for this thread...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    I want Chan to bring tears to my eyes, a lump to my throat (the way the Kween used to frequently do), but it hasn't happened yet

Since the Olympics is still to come maybe a good title might be
    The Last Six Inches Is Always the Hardest

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    I want Chan to bring tears to my eyes ...
    I can't wait to see the "puppies crying." Everyone knows that Dai already has the kitties in his corner ... they are wild for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Since the Olympics is still to come maybe a good title might be The Last Six Inches Is Always the Hardest

Clearly it's going to be a long, hard off-season, and Worlds hasn't even started yet.

vCash
    I can't wait to see the "puppies crying."
    Is Snookie a figure skater?

vCash
    As far as other Canadian sports writers, I've read plenty of Canuck hype about Chan's mad SS and superhero non-gay status, not to mention the rush by many in the Canadian media to pamper Chan and take him off the backlash hook post Reuters' claptrap/ potshot/ backstabbing -- albeit Chan gave the Reuters reporter a knife and lots of ammunition.
    And once again you are mistaking the opinions/bias of a few as representative of the many.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast