Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    I believe just an American thing.. At worlds currently there is also public transport.. as there was at Euro's .. as there is at Canadian events..
    From what I have seen, it depends on the size of an event and the city.
    Take 4Conts Colorado Springs...all the hotels and restaruants were in easy walking distance. Same thing for Nats at Cleveland. Nats Greensboro was a different animal. Hence, the shuttle buses. Were there long lines at the shuttle busses when an event let out at Greensboro? Maybe, but they kept the buses and people flowing....everyone made money....the town wants the event back and are in the running for the next nats after Omaha.

In Spokane (my fair city) the organizers used the mass transit, but they had special routes that took fans quickly to restaruants, fan fest, hotels, and back to the arena...do that and you entice fans to go to real restaruants and spend bucks instead of deciding to eat the greasy hot dog at the arena between events....

waiting for Spring :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    From what I have seen, it depends on the size of an event and the city.
    Take 4Conts Colorado Springs...all the hotels and restaruants were in easy walking distance. Same thing for Nats at Cleveland. Nats Greensboro was a different animal. Hence, the shuttle buses. Were there long lines at the shuttle busses when an event let out at Greensboro? Maybe, but they kept the buses and people flowing....everyone made money....the town wants the event back and are in the running for the next nats after Omaha.

In Spokane (my fair city) the organizers used the mass transit, but they had special routes that took fans quickly to restaruants, fan fest, hotels, and back to the arena...do that and you entice fans to go to real restaruants and spend bucks instead of deciding to eat the greasy hot dog at the arena between events....
    Actually like my original point - they are all American cities - the shuttle is an American thing.. I seriously wouldn't expect it outside of the USA - which Canada is Also the same arena has held large international events without any difficulties and don't worry about nice restaurants - the arena is right downtown - its just as easier to walk outside and eat as it is lining up for a greasy hotdog
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    The problem is that if I am understanding the bus schedule, the buses run infrequently. Every half hour.
    Every half-hour is not "infrequently".
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    In major US cities, every half-hour would be considered infrequently. It's not uncommon for buses to run every 5-10 minutes during peak times.

But it does highlight that US skating fans can sometimes have unrealistic expectations regarding being catered to, and as a result some fans can be very high-maintenance at skating events.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    I think that's very infrequent for a busy city.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming Fall 2014!****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    In major US cities, every half-hour would be considered infrequently. It's not uncommon for buses to run every 5-10 minutes during peak times.
    That's true in Canada as well, but London is not a major city.

Not sure whether it's because attendance at skating events tends to be quite high in Canada (so there isn't a need to cater to fans by providing transportation to the site), or whether the precedent has simply never been set at an event here, but I've never seen shuttles for fans at skating events in Canada. Never missed them either.

Having said all that, there's no harm in asking Worlds' organizers about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erica Lee View Post
    If that doesn't suit you, I'm sure the front desk of your hotel would be pleased to call a cab for you. I'm not sure why a specially arranged cab-stand would be necessary? What more would that accomplish than just calling a cab as normal?
    When you call a cab, you have to wait for it to get there (which sometimes can be quick, and sometimes isn't.) With a cab stand, there would be a better chance of having it waiting when you want it, plus there might be others waiting outside that would be willing to share the cab to the arena, so everyone saves money.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    When you call a cab, you have to wait for it to get there (which sometimes can be quick, and sometimes isn't.) With a cab stand, there would be a better chance of having it waiting when you want it, plus there might be others waiting outside that would be willing to share the cab to the arena, so everyone saves money.
    At any skating event I've been to there have been cabs lined up at the hotels and lined up at the arena afterward.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Skatefan View Post
    At any skating event I've been to there have been cabs lined up at the hotels and lined up at the arena afterward.
    After the event, yes. At the hotel, I think it would depend on where you are staying.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerpower View Post
    That's true in Canada as well, but London is not a major city.
    And the bus is running from a suburban area. I have been in a number of large American cities where buses in many of the suburbs only ran every half-hour, if that.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    And the bus is running from a suburban area. I have been in a number of large American cities where buses in many of the suburbs only ran every half-hour, if that.
    White Oaks Mall is basically on the outskirts of town.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    I think that's very infrequent for a busy city.
    So do I, but London isn't a busy city.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    So do I, but London isn't a busy city.
    Then I'm not sure why it was the best choice for Worlds.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming Fall 2014!****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pat c View Post
    No, you can't ride the shuttle that the skaters take. You're on your own.
    Too bad. My mom was great at finagling things like that. We've shared rides with competitors at Nationals and a few Skate Americas, but never a Worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Fever View Post
    Too bad. My mom was great at finagling things like that. We've shared rides with competitors at Nationals and a few Skate Americas, but never a Worlds.
    This is one of those things you never know about....each event is different.
    Many times the competitiors/coaches will ride the fan busses if it is more convenient to them.....

London will be interesting as there are no huge hotels downtown and I think IIRC the two main event hotels dont have enough rooms for all the skaters, coaches, officials, TV folk from around the world, etc. In fact, I have to wonder if the Hilton, the Delta , the Holiday inn, and Marriott have enough rooms for all these folk. The ladies short in LA 2009 had 53 competitors.
    The Residence inn by Marriott down town London has 116 suites including 23 studio, 58 one-bedroom and 35 two-bedroom suites. Anyone know how many competitiors, coaches, support staff, judges, officials, and media attend the worlds?

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    Anyone know how many competitiors, coaches, support staff, judges, officials, and media attend the worlds?
    Since Worlds 2012 is currently underway in Nice, you could get a fair idea of the number of competitors (including preliminary rounds + main competition) and judges from checking that event out! Here's a link to the schedule/entries/results page for you: http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2012/

On average, I would guess you could count on at least 1 coach/choreographer per competitor or team. There are, of course, coaches who "multi-task" and competitors who have more than one with them in the "kiss & cry". Most, if not all, of the federations would have officials representing them. Sometimes they also bring along medical personnel.

Worlds 2013, being a pre-Olympic Worlds, may generate more than the usual press interest.

Now back to Nice....
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victorskid View Post
    Since Worlds 2012 is currently underway in Nice, you could get a fair idea of the number of competitors (including preliminary rounds + main competition) and judges from checking that event out! Here's a link to the schedule/entries/results page for you: http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2012/

On average, I would guess you could count on at least 1 coach/choreographer per competitor or team. There are, of course, coaches who "multi-task" and competitors who have more than one with them in the "kiss & cry". Most, if not all, of the federations would have officials representing them. Sometimes they also bring along medical personnel.

Worlds 2013, being a pre-Olympic Worlds, may generate more than the usual press interest.

Now back to Nice....
    Doesnt look like many fans showed up to Nice....place was 3/4 empty for pairs short.....I still cant get a handle on how many inside folk show up for worlds. Sure, is easy to count the competitiors....coaches are a bit tougher as they have multiple skaters but we can take a guess....Judges and officials wouldnt be too tough but the various federation memebers and ISU officials could be tough to guess. Press members, photogs , camera folk, etc could be a tough guess too. Anyway, I hope Shizuka Arakawa stays at the Quality inn....I want to appologize to her for stareing at her at Worlds 2009.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    Then I'm not sure why it was the best choice for Worlds.
    Because it has a lights show!

waiting for Spring :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Because it has a lights show!
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123