Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    The only people I see getting into a tizzy are those who think planning this far ahead (or at all) is unnecessary and those who are just being rude. The thread is clearly labeled, hint, hint.
    I think to a young person who isnt involved with major project planning, a year seems like a long time. To seasoned citizens such as myself, who have done major project planning, a year is the blink of an eye. Its all perspective.
    Its also alot of very hard work. I know Toby and Barb as aquaintances, who put on Spokane SkateAmerica 2002, Spokane Nats 2007 and 2010. Despite the success they had in the eyes of us fans, they tell me they wont promote a skating event again...well, never say never but getting all the players on board, obtaining the funding, working with the restaurants and mass transit.....while everything they did in 2010 went right, they are just burned out, IMHO. And the state of WA not coming through with their $100,000 pledge if Spokane got the nats didnt help either....

As far as the bus.....I really dont care if there is indeed a cab service that can handle the load...it would be nice to have transportaion provided for a fee in the form of frequently running mass transit buses (like Spokane) or a private event shuttle bus service that worked(like Greensboro) but we shall take what we will get.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    Yes, we've seen from past shuttle bus threads that skating fans tend to be a prissy, whiny, entitled lot with few social skills
    Unfortunately, there are those (at least two individuals) at USFSA galactic headquarters in Colorado Springs that believe that is exactly a great description of us American fans and donners to the USFSA.....or to use their own words, we can be "difficult and opinionated....." Well, I try not be be that way at the friends of figure skating breakfasts but only if I get my favorite skaters to sit at my table!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    I think to a young person who isnt involved with major project planning, a year seems like a long time. To seasoned citizens such as myself, who have done major project planning, a year is the blink of an eye. Its all perspective.
    Its also alot of very hard work.
    I wouldn't assume that people who are disagreeing with you don't have any project planning experience.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I wouldn't assume that people who are disagreeing with you don't have any project planning experience.
    OK, I'll bite. How long do YOU think it takes to do a promotion of a major skating event (Nats or Worlds)? This would include, but not limited to:
    Securing an arena commitment for a certain time period for a certain amount of money. And a practice venue.
    Obtaining hotels without major commitments for certain amounts.
    Obtaining sponsors for the bid.
    Securing transportation for the athletes, coaches, etc.
    Obtaining security, on and off the premises.
    Working with the local police depts.
    Working with the local media
    Obtaining and training volunteers and paid help.
    Attending other skating events for info and to sell tickets.
    Working with the governing body to satisfy their needs.
    (I would also assume there would be insurance issues to deal with but I dont know that)
    Much of this work must be done before the bids are decided....I was at the presentation of the Spokane Promoters of just how they got Spokane 2010 when the call came in that Spokane had won the bid....sure, the room exploaded...but you could see how much work was ahead of them...
    Putting on an event of this size takes alot of work even if you do it badly....and its alot harder to do it well.......

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    ...Its also alot of very hard work. I know Toby and Barb as aquaintances, who put on Spokane SkateAmerica 2002, Spokane Nats 2007 and 2010. Despite the success they had in the eyes of us fans, they tell me they wont promote a skating event again...well, never say never but getting all the players on board, obtaining the funding, working with the restaurants and mass transit.....while everything they did in 2010 went right, they are just burned out, IMHO. .....
    This is the most important item in this whole thread IMO. Nooooooooooooooo! Spokane has been a total host for skating (and yes, I do know how much work goes into the planning and don't begrudge the planners for being burned out).
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    As far as the bus.....I really dont care if there is indeed a cab service that can handle the load...it would be nice to have transportaion provided for a fee in the form of frequently running mass transit buses (like Spokane) or a private event shuttle bus service that worked(like Greensboro) but we shall take what we will get.
    I'm confused about this thread? .. there is a 'frequently running mass transit bus'..

http://www.ltconline.ca/

So unless you are on a private tour - why would the organizers even bother to get a shuttle.. would they just not expect visitors to catch the bus.. catch a cab.. walk or rent a car.. especially considering all the other 'project management' issues to be dealt with..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    Just a note on the Spokane organizers -- not sure it's a terrific idea to continually post how you personally know they never want to work on a skating event again. It smacks of unprofessionalism on their part to bandy with fans about how hard a time they had organizing nationals and Skate America. It is almost assured that Spokane will host future events, and while I am certain Toby and Barb are very successful, the time might come when they wish to put aside whatever differences they had with USFS, the skating clubs, etc. and promote another competition.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    where did you infer that they had differences with anyone? it reads to me like planning an event on this scale is time consuming and challenging and they are experiencing burnout from doing 2 events in 8 years...nothing controversial about that.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    where did you infer that they had differences with anyone? it reads to me like planning an event on this scale is time consuming and challenging and they are experiencing burnout from doing 2 events in 8 years...nothing controversial about that.
    Not a question of controversy. Let's put it this way. Say you make your living as an event organizer, and you do weddings. At the reception, you tell guests you are burned out, it's too challenging, there are too many details, you will never do a wedding again. Those guests planning their daughters' weddings (or any other event) are not likely to call upon you, because 1. it's unprofessional to kvetch in public at an event you were paid to organize; and 2. you've already made plain you don't want the work.

Now, Toby and Barb may indeed never want to work on a Spokane skating event again, and that is fine. But in my book, business owners sometimes regret burning bridges.

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Unfortunately, there are those (at least two individuals) at USFSA galactic headquarters in Colorado Springs that believe that is exactly a great description of us American fans and donners to the USFSA.....or to use their own words, we can be "difficult and opinionated....." Well, I try not be be that way at the friends of figure skating breakfasts but only if I get my favorite skaters to sit at my table!
    One assumes you mean "donors" - though I suppose that certain American followers of this sport do tend to cannibalize those skaters who don't live to hype or expectation.

On that note, have you considered donating your time and experience to the city of London and/or the event organizing committee to lead/chair/be involved with the planning and execution of this supremely important logistical situation?

One might imagine those parties falling on bended knee, overwhelmed at such an generous offer.
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    Are any rooms available at the official hotel? It would be interesting to take the same shuttle that the skaters take, to and from the rink.

vCash
    OK, I'll bite. How long do YOU think it takes to do a promotion of a major skating event (Nats or Worlds)? This would include, but not limited to:
    [list deleted]
    Since the city I live in has hosted Worlds, 4Cs, and the Olympics while I've been here, I'm well aware of what is involved and how much work it takes, thanks. And it does take a long time (almost seven years start to finish for the Olympics) to plan everything and carry it out.

But we are not talking about promoting the event. We're talking about logistics of one very small (and optional) part of organizing the event. And right now I would guess that the organizers have many more things on their plate to deal with than whether or not to have a shuttle bus.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    I've been to several skating events in Canada and never encountered shuttles for spectators. Do they even do that in Canada? Or is that just an American thing?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Fever View Post
    Are any rooms available at the official hotel? It would be interesting to take the same shuttle that the skaters take, to and from the rink.
    No, you can't ride the shuttle that the skaters take. You're on your own.

vCash
    London and the John Labbatt Centre have played host to two sold-out Canadian Championships, as well as Synchro Worlds - all in recent history. Though Worlds may be a more prestigious event and may attract more in the way of media, those other events had just as many fans in the building as Worlds will have.

None of those events, nor any other Canadian event I have ever attended, have ever had a shuttle bus available for fans, nor would I ever find one necessary or expect such a service.

A city bus that runs once every half hour is frequent service by Canadian standards. Yes, it's going to make stops - but that's not abnormal. Just leave your hotel early enough to leave yourself plenty of time to get downtown. It's certainly a valid option and I don't see why it wouldn't suffice.

If that doesn't suit you, I'm sure the front desk of your hotel would be pleased to call a cab for you. I'm not sure why a specially arranged cab-stand would be necessary? What more would that accomplish than just calling a cab as normal?

If you really want to be able to go where you want, when you want, without any waiting - rent a car. Parking in downtown London isn't incredibly convenient, but I've always been able to find something within a reasonable walking distance.

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Skatefan View Post
    I've been to several skating events in Canada and never encountered shuttles for spectators. Do they even do that in Canada? Or is that just an American thing?
    I believe just an American thing.. At worlds currently there is also public transport.. as there was at Euro's .. as there is at Canadian events..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    The only people I see getting into a tizzy are those who think planning this far ahead (or at all) is unnecessary and those who are just being rude. The thread is clearly labeled, hint, hint.
    It is so. If it bothers some, perhaps just leave it to those who are interested in the subject. hint, hint.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nylynnr View Post
    Just a note on the Spokane organizers -- not sure it's a terrific idea to continually post how you personally know they never want to work on a skating event again. It smacks of unprofessionalism on their part to bandy with fans about how hard a time they had organizing nationals and Skate America. It is almost assured that Spokane will host future events, and while I am certain Toby and Barb are very successful, the time might come when they wish to put aside whatever differences they had with USFS, the skating clubs, etc. and promote another competition.
    Like I say, never say never....but twice I looked into their eyes and asked them....it would be rude to query them if they didnt wish to share their reasons. I will tell you one thing. If the state of WA had promised me $100,000 cash if I landed the Nats and then renigged and kept the million or so tax money they reaped, I would be sore too....I do hope that someone else might do the promoting if Toby and Barb do not wish to. I wish them the best and hope events do come back to Spokane. One interesting note.
    There is a project here in the works to expend the number of seats in the arena and to expand the convention center to land more events.....
    I would also add that even though a certain promotion/job/event might be very lucrative, it just might not be worth it if one is well off as it is. Life is too short.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VALuvsMKwan View Post
    On that note, have you considered donating your time and experience to the city of London and/or the event organizing committee to lead/chair/be involved with the planning and execution of this supremely important logistical situation?

One might imagine those parties falling on bended knee, overwhelmed at such an generous offer.
    I am......and they do seem grateful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    I'm confused about this thread? .. there is a 'frequently running mass transit bus'..

http://www.ltconline.ca/

So unless you are on a private tour - why would the organizers even bother to get a shuttle.. would they just not expect visitors to catch the bus.. catch a cab.. walk or rent a car.. especially considering all the other 'project management' issues to be dealt with..
    I did receive a nice package from ITconline....great city map...schedules...etc. The problem is that if I am understanding the bus schedule, the buses run infrequently. Every half hour. And it is unclear how full they are without an event going on. Plus, as I am sure you are aware of, we fans may go to the arena at diffferent times but we all come home at about the same time. So, If you have 10 plus hotels in a cluster 4 miles away from the arena and all the fans from those hotels try to go home at the usual time...say 10 to 11 pm, there are issues...only they know how many cabs will be available and buses and drivers and what their unions say about overtime, etc....Every event is different...Worlds 2009 LA was no problem cause the arena was only a mile away from almost every hotel and it was a pleasant walk in the warm spring air at 10 pm....it might not be such a nice walk for four miles in London in March....
    Dedicated shuttles like we had at Greensboro have benefits for the restaruants. If there are not enough restaurants near a venue, one can hop on the shuttles and get to other restauants quickly....this worked at Spokane and Greensboro....its all about the money.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast