Thread: Boot question

vCash

Boot question

Hi! I have been skating off and on for several years (I took some time off from skating in college, and I just started skating again a few weeks ago). I recently realized that my boots and blades need to be replaced, because they're completely worn out. My skates have always been a bit big on me, and I've compensated by wearing two pairs of thick socks. I really want to be able to stop wearing those socks. I have a narrow heel and ankle, and a average width toe. What brand(s) of boots would be good for me? Which brand(s) should I avoid?

vCash
    Some boot makers make "semi-custom" widths, where you can get a narrower heel and a wider forefoot. That could be something to look into.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    It really depends more on what kind of skating you do, as well as your foot type, for what brand is best. Contact a good boot fitter in your area (you should never, ever be wearing thick socks in your skates ) - maybe ask a coach at your rink?

vCash
    I always had narrow feet and wore Wifa skates because they fit on the narrow side, especially in the heel. I am not sure if Wifas are available many places nowadays. I am currently wearing Jacksons but will be shopping for new skates this spring. So I might have more info in the spring.

I would go to your local skate store and get fitted properly. There are all sorts of measurements they can take from the imprint of your foot on your current insole. I had this done in my teens and ended up with skates about a size smaller than what I was wearing...my brother went down 2 sizes!