Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudy_Gumdrops View Post
    Not really sure about Jack as I never watched Torchwood.
    Don't bother. The first two seasons are really terrible and the Jack we know and love from Doctor Who is a completely different person in them. The third season, which consists of a 5 episode miniseries, is great sci-fi but bleak, bleak, bleak.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Alex Kingston is shooting more episodes, so River should be back. Her story is not finished. We still need to see her final date with the Doctor before she goes to die at the library And given that Amy and Rory are her parents, I imagine she'd be involved in some way with their departure as well.

The series has never disappointed me in terms of casting or companions, and I'm sure Moffatt has some good ideas in place for the next season. (Although I do hope we won't get so much timey-wimey paradoxical solutions to the plot this time around. I still think season 6 was a convoluted and overly complicated mess that didn't live up to the potential of the premiere.) I do admit to not being super excited by yet another white female companion. I wanted the Doctor to have a male companion so we could have a proper bromance

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    Don't bother (watching Torchwood). The first two seasons are really terrible and the Jack we know and love from Doctor Who is a completely different person in them. The third season, which consists of a 5 episode miniseries, is great sci-fi but bleak, bleak, bleak.
    Hmm, gotta disagree with a lot of that. I do agree that Torchwood's Captain Jack is very different from NewWhoS1 Captain Jack ... but it would be rather unbelievable if his character hadn't changed. Given that, when S1 of Torchwood begins, he's already lived 100 years of a rather bleak existance on Earth, trapped in his immortality.

But aside from that, I found most of seasons 1 and 2 of Torchwood to be quite excellent. Darker, grittier, and more "adult" than Doctor Who -- and intentionally so. I happen to love both series for different reasons, but they are actually aimed at very different audiences. And Torchwood stands on its own regardless of what's happening in Doctor Who.

What I would say though is don't bother with season 4 / Miracle Day. Ill-conceived, awkward transplant to Americ, and just all-around disappointing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Hmm, gotta disagree with a lot of that. I do agree that Torchwood's Captain Jack is very different from NewWhoS1 Captain Jack ... but it would be rather unbelievable if his character hadn't changed. Given that, when S1 of Torchwood begins, he's already lived 100 years of a rather bleak existance on Earth, trapped in his immortality.

But aside from that, I found most of seasons 1 and 2 of Torchwood to be quite excellent. Darker, grittier, and more "adult" than Doctor Who -- and intentionally so. I happen to love both series for different reasons, but they are actually aimed at very different audiences. And Torchwood stands on its own regardless of what's happening in Doctor Who.

What I would say though is don't bother with season 4 / Miracle Day. Ill-conceived, awkward transplant to Americ, and just all-around disappointing.
    I guess I'm in the middle on part of this. Seasons 1 & 2 were OK, although I think it got better as it went on. My problem was I didn't think it was dark and adult enough then. The "adult" was almost more "oohh...look what we can show and say that we couldn't on Who", but in a nudge, nudge, wink, wink kind of way.

However, Season 3 was terrific. That's the type of story I'd hoped for when RTD said adult.

As for Season 4 - I was looking forward to it, but still haven't seen the whole thing. So that should tell you something.

and OK, I'm going to say this, but don't hurt me anyone. John Barrowman is not that great an actor. He's awfully purdy, and capable, but not great. He sings quite well, but there are better. What he is great at, is being an entertainer. Seriously. Listen to any studio recording of his singing, then listen to the live version, and tell me that that man does not come alive for an audience.

vCash
    I'm not going to hurt you. Barrowman was the least interesting thing about Torchwood so far as I was concerned.

vCash
    I didn't think Barrowman was that great an actor either. Then again I only saw him on Doctor Who.

He's handsome and has a presence. He makes you want to watch him. I have heard his singing and he's pretty decent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    But aside from that, I found most of seasons 1 and 2 of Torchwood to be quite excellent. Darker, grittier, and more "adult" than Doctor Who -- and intentionally so.
    I dunno. I think they confused swearwords, blood, gore and 958 scenes of everyone having sex with everyone else regardless of gender with "adult". Trying to tittilate the audience with sex, dropping f-bombs right and left and blood spurting out of wounds, for me, aren't adult. It's juvenile. Children of Earth, on the other hand, with its emphasis on people screwing up and having to compromise their integrity and do horrible things when placed in impossible situations, is adult. The fact that Owen is revealed to be a date rapist in the first episode of S1 but that we're supposed to sympathize with him for the rest of the series (and my god I thought Burn Gorman was a terrible actor) didn't sit well with me. Ianto and Jack's romance was developed poorly - one day Ianto is devastated over the loss of his girlfriend, whom he clearly loved enough to harbor in Torchwood, the next day, he is sleeping with Jack and we're just supposed to take this at face value. I thought Torchwood S1 & S2 suffered from not having well-defined plot arcs. I really struggled to get through those two series.

Goign back to Doctor Who, NEW S7 TRAILER!!!
    http://www.flickfilosopher.com/blog/...#axzz1qE9ZdoWt
    Last edited by Ajax; 03-26-2012 at 07:19 PM.

vCash
    I didn't think Barrowman was that great an actor either. Then again I only saw him on Doctor Who.

He's handsome and has a presence. He makes you want to watch him. I have heard his singing and he's pretty decent.
    Looks like someone has taken a shine to him:

Captain Jack is going back in time again.

John Barrowman — best known as immortal time traveller Jack Harkness in Doctor Who and its spinoff Torchwood — has joined Gilded Lilys, ABC’s period drama pilot being exec-produced by Grey’s Anatomy boss Shonda Rhimes.
    To be penned by K.J. Steinberg (The Nine, Gossip Girl), Lilys is set in 1895 and promises to deliver an epic love story, a vicious rivalry and a scandalous secret unfolding against the backdrop of the opening of New York’s first luxury hotel. Barrowman will play a member of the show’s central family, the Lilys.

vCash
    The fact that Owen is revealed to be a date rapist in the first episode of S1 but that we're supposed to sympathize with him for the rest of the series (and my god I thought Burn Gorman was a terrible actor) didn't sit well with me.
    That character didn't get interesting until he "died".

vCash
    Owen was creepy from day one until the day his dead self got destroyed by nuclear something-or-other.

vCash

I only started appreciating Barrowman a little bit when I watched him in interviews and realised how different he manages to be while in character, as himself he frankly annoys me.

It's interesting how our ideas change through time, the first series of Doctor Who I watched was the 3rd, I loved David Tennant to pieces. Then I watched 4, and only then 1 and 2. This inversion made me appreciate Eccleston's work a lot more because I already liked the series and could understand better how he was trying to introduce the character to a new generation. Then I watched 5 and 6. Matt Smith is just perfect! And now I wonder why I liked Tennant in the first place... not that he is bad, but I can hear his scottish accent a lot more now and he is just so harsh, the first few episodes of season 2 were really painful, but he mellowed in 3 and 4 thankfully.

I can't wait to watch Matt Smith again!

vCash
    For the past few days, the cast and crew of Doctor Who have been filming in NYC.

Spoiler

There are spoilery photos all over the Internet, here are a bunch of photos of different filming locations around the city. They're REALLY spoilery, but if you just want a little taste of what's coming in November (wah!!), this episode is gonna be gorgeous!!

vCash
    The new season of Doctor Who premieres on Saturday September 1. Trailer available on this link, but the link does contain spoilers.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/doctor-who...premiere-date/

BBC AMERICA’s “Doctor Who” returns after a record-breaking season with five blockbuster episodes on September 1 as part of Supernatural Saturday. Join the Doctor, his companions Amy and Rory (aka the Ponds) and numerous friends on their latest escapades through space and time.....

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    I'm going to miss Amy and Rory.

I wish I could find someone who would guard my tomb for 2,000 years.

Btw, there will be Doctor Who marathons on BBC America on Friday and Saturday. I was perusing the DVR listings the other day and I think there were more than the five episodes mentioned in the article. May have been wishful thinking though.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pollyanna View Post
    The new season of Doctor Who premieres on Saturday September 1 on BBC America. Trailer available on this link, but the link does contain spoilers.
    And for Canadians, same time different channel: Space at 6 PST / 9 EST.

http://www.spacecast.com/Doctor-Who.aspx

Space has been showing a bunch of "best of" docs over the past couple of weeks: The Women of Doctor Who, The Timey-Wimey of Doctor Who, The Destinations of Doctor Who, etc. Nothing new or universe-shattering, but still fun to watch. (They're online too at the Space web site, don't know if they're geoblocked tho.)

vCash
    And to keep you going til then ... episode 1 of "Pond Life," described as "the new 5 part mini-adventure, with a new part every day, featuring the Doctor, Amy, Rory and some surprise familiar faces! En route to visit the Ponds the TARDIS' Helmic Regulator malfunctions, leaving the Doctor popping up everywhere in time and space. Will he ever make it back to them?"

vCash
    I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Alex Kingston is shooting more episodes, so River should be back. Her story is not finished. We still need to see her final date with the Doctor before she goes to die at the library And given that Amy and Rory are her parents, I imagine she'd be involved in some way with their departure as well.
    The 30-second season trailer on Space

Spoiler

It's a good trailer, btw, does a good job of teasing without really giving anything away.

vCash

vCash
    Pond Life ep. 3.

Spoiler

vCash
    Only 2 more sleeps ... I'm so excited!!

vCash
    Pond Life episode 4. Only one more left before the premiere!

Spoiler

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast