Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

vCash
    Thank you for yet another fabulous translation, TAHbKA!

I'm impressed with how consistently the Russian coaches speak about V/M & D/W being clearly the superior dancers.

vCash
    wow, he seems such an intelligent, witty man. He had interesting things to say for each question. It was really refreshing. I too love the russian forthrightness in interviews and i would like to see more of that in Shpilband-Zoueva's, for example.
    I wonder if Platov will become one of the super-top coaches in the future.
    Can someone be so kind to explain me why the Rhumba choctaw is difficult?

vCash
    Thank you, TAHbKA!

I really enjoyed this interview.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Has any one he has coached thus far been particularly successful? Why not return to Russia temporarily (through Sochi)?
    When you have elderly parents near you, two years away from them is a long time. It's different when spouses agree to live separately because of school.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by martyross View Post
    wow, he seems such an intelligent, witty man. He had interesting things to say for each question. It was really refreshing. I too love the russian forthrightness in interviews and i would like to see more of that in Shpilband-Zoueva's, for example.
    I wonder if Platov will become one of the super-top coaches in the future.
    Because you really need to have open hips for it. Some skaters have it naturaly (those who can make spread eagle without even thinking about it) and the rest of us have to learn it the hard way (lots of stretching and it still is not quite the same). A lot of skaters have naturally closed hips. In free skating those skater will just avoid Ina Bauer and spread eagle, and their layback spin will have ugly position, but otherwise no big deal. In ice dance, there are things where you need body with open hips (e.g. chocktaws) and you can't avoid it. If you don't have it, you have to work on it. Find it on youtube and try it yourself, it is really hard. To do any chocktaw is hard, but to do a chocktaw when you know they will be watching the edges nearly under a microscope is really hard. We have one exercise with chocktaws in our field moves. I have been working on it for a year, and although I can sort of do the exercise, I am nowhere near ready for the test, because if the judge checks the tracings, there may be some cheats here and there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Because you really need to have open hips for it. Some skaters have it naturaly (those who can make spread eagle without even thinking about it) and the rest of us have to learn it the hard way (lots of stretching and it still is not quite the same). A lot of skaters have naturally closed hips. In free skating those skater will just avoid Ina Bauer and spread eagle, and their layback spin will have ugly position, but otherwise no big deal. In ice dance, there are things where you need body with open hips (e.g. chocktaws) and you can't avoid it. If you don't have it, you have to work on it. Find it on youtube and try it yourself, it is really hard. To do any chocktaw is hard, but to do a chocktaw when you know they will be watching the edges nearly under a microscope is really hard. We have one exercise with chocktaws in our field moves. I have been working on it for a year, and although I can sort of do the exercise, I am nowhere near ready for the test, because if the judge checks the tracings, there may be some cheats here and there.
    Wow, thanks for the explanation. I was sure a spread eagle was something any woman could do and any man would struggle with (I keep doing spread eagles on the ice and rollers assuming once you get a bit of a balance it's not such a big real...)

vCash
    Isn't it more the reverse? The best spread eaglers I can think of have been men (Boitano, Casser, and so forth), while Katarina Witt never managed anything but a butt-eagle, for example, and I'm having trouble thinking of a woman with a really awesome spread eagle among the current group??. Oddly, Flatt has a pretty good one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Isn't it more the reverse? The best spread eaglers I can think of have been men (Boitano, Casser, and so forth), while Katarina Witt never managed anything but a butt-eagle, for example, and I'm having trouble thinking of a woman with a really awesome spread eagle among the current group??. Oddly, Flatt has a pretty good one.
    I think there is a difference between `easy' and `good'

vCash
    Too true.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by martyross View Post
    The Rhumba Choctaw ...for the male is pretty easy, for the female it's must more difficult element ,to master due to the position and timing going into that element

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHbKA View Post
    Wow, thanks for the explanation. I was sure a spread eagle was something any woman could do and any man would struggle with (I keep doing spread eagles on the ice and rollers assuming once you get a bit of a balance it's not such a big real...)
    Well, then you are one of the lucky ones who never really had to work for it! Maybe you can start ice dancing, TAHbKA. Chocktaws won't be any problem at all for you. For me spread eagles won't work to save my life! The best I can do is inside spread eagle with my knees bent and doing a tiny circle, not one of the big, impressive curves that are nearly straight. I think now I damaged my hip a bit.

I think it doesn't even have to do much with flexibility, because I am generally quite flexible. It is with the way how your body is grown.

vCash
    This video very rhumbahelpful for me:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52zjtDdvMxA

vCash
    Thanks for sharing/the translation, Tab! Platov is a thoughtful, candid man ... excellent interview too.

Re, the "half-empty" arenas at Cup of Russia ... Skate America aspires for such thundering masses.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Cassar.

I'm not a fan of the spread eagles in which the skater's feet are turned out but they're leaning forward with their upper body.

I have a dumb question. Can someone link a rhumba video and give the time the rhumba choctaw occurs? I think I know which step it is, but it would be nice to know for sure.

Thanks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    I have a dumb question. Can someone link a rhumba video and give the time the rhumba choctaw occurs? I think I know which step it is, but it would be nice to know for sure.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYbDTKEzVoM at 0:33 (and in subsequent patterns)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vivika1982 View Post
    This video very rhumbahelpful for me:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52zjtDdvMxA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKUMF...olSEPcjW6HY%3D
    This one too

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYbDTKEzVoM at 0:33 (and in subsequent patterns)
    That's what I thought! Yay! Thanks gkelly.

vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBAAtyx4Qc8 (Pasha Grishuk's choctaw not good)

vCash
    Which is, of course, what Platov said in the interview

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The video gives a whole new meaning to "nice shirt".
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast