Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Which is, of course, what Platov said in the interview
    Yep, he should know cause only Pasha Grishuk had a clearly wrong edge in the clip. Ayayayaya...
    Last edited by matti; 03-22-2012 at 10:17 AM.

vCash
    I really like Platov as a coach. He has done some remarkable things with Coombs/Buckland. They have improved so much from last year. I was very impressed with them at Euros.

I'd love to see him coach Sin/Zhig and R/T. I think both of them have potential and would improve so much with better coaching.

vCash
    Thanks for this translation! People think translation is easy like breaking a code but its really not. You really have to be culturally aware to do a good job.
    I do have a question about EP's meaning in the below statement.
    AS: ..... There is a belief a great skater doesn't necessarily become a good coach. Were you under pressure when you first started coaching?
    EP: I was under pressure, but it wasn't that. Imagine: you won everything. You fly very high. And then you have to land, forget who you are and work hard. Give your soul to those idiots, who don't understand a thing first. That is what was hard. During the first year I thought about giving up. It was impossible! I was the greatest just a moment ago and all of the sudden I'm critisized, spoken about and told you did this and that wrong, your work is rubbish. I thought: what do I need it for? But as the time passed it became better."
    What exactly did he mean by saying, "Give your soul to those idiots?"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    Thanks for this translation! People think translation is easy like breaking a code but its really not. You really have to be culturally aware to do a good job.
    AS: ..... There is a belief a great skater doesn't necessarily become a good coach. Were you under pressure when you first started coaching?
    EP: I was under pressure, but it wasn't that. Imagine: you won everything. You fly very high. And then you have to land, forget who you are and work hard. Give your soul to those idiots, who don't understand a thing first. That is what was hard. During the first year I thought about giving up. It was impossible! I was the greatest just a moment ago and all of the sudden I'm critisized, spoken about and told you did this and that wrong, your work is rubbish. I thought: what do I need it for? But as the time passed it became better."

I figure he means he gave his heart and soul to his students (skaters) in all he did for them. Always giving the best of him, the most ardous effort.
    Maybe "idiots" is too strong of a word? Might be lost in translation. Maybe he meant it in a more familiar way. Like "these crazy dimwits" but said in a half joking manner.
    Just my impression.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    The word he uses translated by google translate as (http://translate.google.com/#auto|en...B1%D0%B5%D1%81) : booby, mug, bonehead, lardhead. Not idiots. My assumption (aka it is not written in the interview, just me jumping to a conclusion): he means the gap between a beginner ice dancer and a 2 times olympic champion - the level of explanation his coaches went into explaining things to him and how much he had to elucidate to explain things to his students.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Thank you for the translation. I'd love to see him coaching some additional teams.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHbKA View Post
    The word he uses translated by google translate as (http://translate.google.com/#auto|en...B1%D0%B5%D1%81) : booby, mug, bonehead, lardhead. Not idiots. My assumption (aka it is not written in the interview, just me jumping to a conclusion): he means the gap between a beginner ice dancer and a 2 times olympic champion - the level of explanation his coaches went into explaining things to him and how much he had to elucidate to explain things to his students.
    TAHbKA, thanks....I think he was just venting his frustration at the situation.
    I know as a teacher that sometimes one gets students who dont appreciate what you are trying to do for them and thats hard.....I would rather have a student who does try hard and does appreciate what I am attempting to do for them anyday....wonder who told him his work was rubbish? He should get back at them by writing a book on all the Russian ice dance love triangles he has seen!!!!

vCash
    Very interesting interview...thanks for the translation!
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123