Prick Admin
    vCash

Happy St. Patrick's Day 2012

Happy Paddy's Day to everybody celebrating!
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Happy St. Patrick's Day to those who celebrate!

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Thanks, and happy St Patrick's Day to you as well. It's a lovely day here in NY for the parade - sunny and clear!
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Pionta Guinness, le do thoil!
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

cooking with Alexei Rogonov and Nodari Maisuradze
    vCash
    Happy St. Patrick's Day

Can't wait to hit the Irish Pub tonight and have lots of green beers and Kilkennys.

Today, we're all Irish
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

Bruce Lee

vCash
    Happy St. Patrick's Day to all!

And for once, I'm not doing the cooking!

Well, 'cept for a few soda breads.

vCash
    For me, it's a day of remembering my "Granny" & my Irish ancestors.

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Already hit the "Shamrock the Block" outdoor party downtown - heard a band, ate some food, got some sun, saw plenty of guys, got some beads - and it's only a little after 2 PM here.

Sadly, no one has taken me up on my "Kiss Me I'm Irish" button yet. But the day is still young and plenty of time tonight.

Heading to a different party zone now for more guys and then watching VCU vs. Indiana tonight in NCAA roundball.

Next weekend is even more fun with the "true" Richmond Irish Festival on Church Hill. The guys there are even -er LOL.
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    Happy St. Patrick's Day!
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

vCash
    Happy St. Patrick's Day!
    I've had two beers, but mostly just with my roommates at home. I'll be hitting up a big party later.

I made these but instead of red they are green.
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    Wearing green but doin' nothing other than remembering I was due this day and arrived early, much to my mother's surprise.

vCash
    I'm Black Irish on my mom's side of the family, have green eyes, and I'm wearing GREEN today!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Prick Admin
    vCash
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    That looks like such fun! Loved the guy dressed as St. Patrick

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

vCash
    Wheeee! Fodor's ranked New Orleans the second-best St. Patrick's Day celebration in the United States, right behind New York. And since New York is having a SOBER St. Paddy's Day this year, our (one-day-a-year)Irish eyes are smiling on that #1 spot Boston and Chicago can kiss our blarney stone, cause we shimmy our shamrocks with the best of 'em. Where else but NO will you have giant cabbages lobbed at your head (yes, the floats throw giant cabbages at the crowd...sometimes in the windows of businesses.), Lucky Charms, Irish spring soap, phallic carrots, onions, potatoes, Ramen noodles, pineapples (catching a giant pineapple takes skill y'all), apples, oranges, green thongs and garters, and mini cans of Guiness, Miller Light, and Kilkenny?

And the crowd of 200+ men in various states of -ness wearing kilts ( ) and every other stereotypical Irish thingy imaginable, handing out roses and Irish flags in exchange for kisses (or beer). The St. Patrick's Day Uptown parade is IMO, the second-best parade in the city, beating out Rex, Zulu, Endymion, Orpheus, and Bacchus. It's a local crowd, which means the parade is both more raucus and safer at the same time. (Well, local, except for the 100+ people of Irish descent we import from New York and Boston, and the 70 or so Dublin police officers we invite to participate every year, which the parade sponsors pay for). You haven't lived till you've heard Stand Up and Get Crunk...on bagpipes.

And now that the fun stuff is out of the way, a BIG THANK you to the original New Orleans Irish for many things, including:
    --Building the canals all over the city of New Orleans
    --Building railroads in New Orleans, along with the Italians (in fact, there's a huge parade, the Irish-Italian parde in Metairie, where those accomplishments are celebrated together. The Irish-Italian population were great frenemies in NO, sharing neighborhoods, bars, and even churches. There were several churches that were Irish one day, and Italian the next.)
    --Excavating the land now know as the Bywater
    --Building up businesses in the poorer areas of New Orleans into what are thriving areas today
    --Standing against slavery. This is somehow lost in the history of slavery in the United States, but the Irish, both emigrants and in Ireland, were some of the first--and most vociferous--voices in the abolitionist movement. There is fantastic poetry and songs written from the time period decrying the treatment of slaves and demanding the call of arms of ALL immigrant populations to rise up on behalf of ending slavery.

So thank you to the Irish, the first immigrant population to really rise up and "make it" in the United States and providing a model for subsequent waves of immigrants to do the same, for making this country great!
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter